State of Origin 2017

General sports news and discussions.
marjamlew
udonmap.com

State of Origin 2017

Post by marjamlew » April 27, 2017, 6:28 pm

There ya go fellas. Got your own thread to talk bum sniffin. We'll just carry on talking the Australian game over on the AFL thread. :lol:

Watch Me!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: State of Origin 2017

Post by wazza » April 27, 2017, 7:32 pm

3 games a year and claimed to be huge.

Good luck. Mind you I will miss Barneys " Take no prisoners " and threats of violence to the winners

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 27, 2017, 7:43 pm

State of origin is rubbish. Has cost the Melbourne Storm about 8 premierships. We get those kids from Queensland like Slater, Smith, Cronk, Inglis and Folou down here and teach them how to be athletes and they go missing chasing cockroaches for half a season. Fancy a comp that puts meaningless rep games before a club flag. Unbelievable :D
Watch Me!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 1, 2017, 3:42 pm

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 1, 2017, 5:46 pm

Its a shame the city country game has now been deflated as a spectacle.
But the tight schedule fr players just does not allow the so called elite players to compete in any more additional representative games. Its a very tough game and bodies are huge these days and the impacts are massive. We have the Australia v New Zealand test next then the 3 SOO games. These are all big body hit games and injury is inevitable.
The biggest boys from both teams are huge fit bodies. 6'6" 116kg, 6'4 120kg, 6'5" 115kg, 6'3 112kg, 6'2" 112kg.

I think the city country game should be for the next level of player who will not make the Aussie team or SOO teams at this point in his career. This gives the young blokes with potential and some exposure to what representative games are all about. The scheduling could be at the same time as the SOO for at least the game or games played in Sydney. There are no normal games at this time. Send them to the country areas.

Marjamlew wrote
Fancy a comp that puts meaningless rep games before a club flag. Unbelievable :D

Rugby league has always been about going to the next level and representing your school, your district, your region city and country, SOO and the pinnacle on the international stage representing Australia as a Kangaroo. Or even for the young blokes a Junior kangaroo.

It is a shame that the AFL product does not have a stage to showcase their talents on a broader arena. They are just happy to plod along representing or supporting a single jersey. To them it does not get any better than that. But we in the Rugby league world know there is more to achieve outside the local dressing shed. The AFL pasts failed attempts at SOO are testament to the lack of desire by officials, supporters to go that extra mile. They do have the local gang bang with the irish to get their rocks off, but really it is only a hybrid game not worthy as a serious international product.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » May 1, 2017, 7:35 pm

St Kilda v GWS Giants (Vic v NSW)
North Melbourne v Adelaide Crows (VIC v SA)
Port Adelaide vWest Coast Eagles (SA v WA)
Gold Coast Suns v Geelong Cats (QLD v VIC)
Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions (NSW v QLD)
Fremantle v Essendon (WA v VIC)

and that's just this weekend!

Barney, players and supporters from every state and territory live state v state every weekend when they follow the AFL. We have a truly national and a truly Australian game. We don't need to interrupt our main focus - our premiership season - to play Vic v Sa, Wa v Tas, Qld v NSW origin games. Now when you have a game that only involves players and supporters from two states you can play three origin games without too much distruption. We were playing inter-colonial games 20 years before league was invented but we moved on when we introduced our national competition. Maybe one day the NRL will move on to if it is ever gets to the point that league is played and has supporters on a national level.
Watch Me!!

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » May 1, 2017, 8:14 pm

marjamlew wrote:St Kilda v GWS Giants (Vic v NSW)
North Melbourne v Adelaide Crows (VIC v SA)
Port Adelaide vWest Coast Eagles (SA v WA)
Gold Coast Suns v Geelong Cats (QLD v VIC)
Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions (NSW v QLD)
Fremantle v Essendon (WA v VIC)

and that's just this weekend!

Barney, players and supporters from every state and territory live state v state every weekend when they follow the AFL. We have a truly national and a truly Australian game. We don't need to interrupt our main focus - our premiership season - to play Vic v Sa, Wa v Tas, Qld v NSW origin games. Now when you have a game that only involves players and supporters from two states you can play three origin games without too much distruption. We were playing inter-colonial games 20 years before league was invented but we moved on when we introduced our national competition. Maybe one day the NRL will move on to if it is ever gets to the point that league is played and has supporters on a national level.

A bit like talking to a block of wood Barney, I guess he hasn't realised it is played in three Australian states as well as NZ, that is the NRL. You then get to wear the national jumper playing for Australia on an International arena.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 1, 2017, 10:22 pm

" three Australian states "

ummm

Queensland, NSW, Vict, SA , WA, plus Tas for 7 games , then Canberra also and NT for local comps

Thats national to me.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » May 2, 2017, 6:46 am

wazza wrote:" three Australian states "

ummm

Queensland, NSW, Vict, SA , WA, plus Tas for 7 games , then Canberra also and NT for local comps

Thats national to me.

I thought we were talking International, wearing your country's colours... There in lie's the difference and the resentment AFL supporters feel...

At the end of the day it shows the power of the press, how in Victoria VFL, AFL is saturated in the media to the point of no other sports existing, at least the northern states tend to cruise along and enjoy all sports...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 4, 2017, 11:57 am

Proud members
Attachments
FB_IMG_1493871711642.jpg
FB_IMG_1493871711642.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1392 times

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 4, 2017, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the great photo Wazza, and a very unbiased thought from you to highlight how great our league game and charity following is.

Now that's was a good cause that the rugby league family has supported for a few decades. Still is supported but for some reason I do not see it as a high profile anymore or just don't look hard enough.
Ronald Macdonald house has supported many a family with helping youngsters get back on track with their schooling.

I'm trying to pick the year and can name all but 2 blokes. Difficult to read their names. The Jets and Norths guys I can't name. Gotta be early to mid 70's. I do not think there is a Queenslander amongst them.
Couple of tough craniums in that photo that would have made any SOO team in any era.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 4, 2017, 1:36 pm

They might even get a game for the City Country event, last one.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 4, 2017, 2:54 pm

wazza wrote:They might even get a game for the City Country event, last one.
Yes it will be disappointing to see that game taken from the calendar, but , I feel it will be rebirthed at some stage to give the young guns in the NRL a chance to prepare for SOO and perhaps the kangaroos.
Actually all those in the photo played for either a country or City team.
And all played for Australia, the pinnacle of any sportsman worth his salt would want.
If your code was played in other countries to a high standard making it a truly international event of course.
I apologise and retract my statement that there was no Queenslander I the photo, I think that is Kerry Bousted in the Roosters jersey. He was a maroon and a champion Australian winger.
The other extremely speedy winger in the tigers jersey is the Black Flash.....Larry Corowa

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 4, 2017, 4:49 pm

marjamlew wrote:State of origin is rubbish. Has cost the Melbourne Storm about 8 premierships. We get those kids from Queensland like Slater, Smith, Cronk, Inglis and Folou down here and teach them how to be athletes and they go missing chasing cockroaches for half a season. Fancy a comp that puts meaningless rep games before a club flag. Unbelievable :D
We used to have a Team here in the West till the mid to late 90's. Brought a lot of Kids up through the ranks and were finishing in the top half of the competition. Then there was whinging from the East about it not being fair these lot never had a Team in the comp. Guess what happened ?? Our Team was given to Victoria and the Melbourne Storm came into existence. Within Two Years they had their first Premiership thanks to Millions of Dollars of WA Money and support. And Victorians say their proud they never came from Convict stock :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 5, 2017, 10:17 am

Victorians came from Tasmania , Mr Vark

John Pascoe Faulkner sailed from Launceston to settle in Melbourne

That makes em a Broad Arrow and bunch of crims IMO

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 5, 2017, 11:48 am

Aardvark wrote:
marjamlew wrote:State of origin is rubbish. Has cost the Melbourne Storm about 8 premierships. We get those kids from Queensland like Slater, Smith, Cronk, Inglis and Folou down here and teach them how to be athletes and they go missing chasing cockroaches for half a season. Fancy a comp that puts meaningless rep games before a club flag. Unbelievable :D
We used to have a Team here in the West till the mid to late 90's. Brought a lot of Kids up through the ranks and were finishing in the top half of the competition. Then there was whinging from the East about it not being fair these lot never had a Team in the comp. Guess what happened ?? Our Team was given to Victoria and the Melbourne Storm came into existence. Within Two Years they had their first Premiership thanks to Millions of Dollars of WA Money and support. And Victorians say their proud they never came from Convict stock :D
Ardvark,
Wow were you over .08 limit when you wrote that piece. A bit jumbled in your facts.
I would love to see a WA team once again in the NRL mix, but, history shows unfortunately the Western Reds who went on the to be Perth reds were started and became embroiled at the same time of the so called super league wars which was a competition created by News limited corporation. We all know who owns that news agency. This competition was in direct conflict with the then ARL and all but destroyed the game. There were going to be no winners once a billionaire entered the frame and wanted to expand his greedy power base.
Now after the post game damage from news limited we have the NRL.
Back to WA Reds or Perth Reds
They were not given to Melbourne. Melbourne was born out of super league and was started by John Ribot, ex Western Suburbs, QLD and Australian winger, a very well paid puppet of the puppet master Murdoch. Yes Melbourne gained players from WA and another team in NSW that was sent to the wall and finished up by Murdoch.
All blame for the demise of the Reds was due to Murdoch. He sent them bankrupt. Nothing to do with the east whinging.
A great St George footballer named Teddy Goodwin tried for years to get them a new gig in the NRL. I hope they succeed.
Attachments
WA Reds.jpg
WA Reds.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 6, 2017, 10:59 am

Geez . Went to sleep last night and woke up to read

ANZAC test players caught doing a white line off the pitch. Will the NRL drug test them .

Some Sydney guy who is ceo or manager doing a white line sideline. Stood down

More sniffs than a clinic in Udon at the start of the dry season.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 6, 2017, 5:49 pm

Yeah Waz, not good for rugby league, terrible going's on.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 6, 2017, 6:00 pm

Bombers signed all 3 this afternoon

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 7, 2017, 12:07 pm

Return to “World Sports”