Grass roots Footie 2016/17 season

General sports news and discussions.
747man
udonmap.com

Re: Grass roots Footie 2016/17 season

Post by 747man » April 25, 2017, 11:30 am

Congratulations to Everton Under 23's Champions of The PL2......Well Done Boys..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 25, 2017, 2:50 pm

Two matches to go......2 points from safety.....a bit late to be getting rid of your manager !
Hartlepool last two games: Cheltenham (a) Doncaster (h)
"Its too late,baby....its too late"

Dave Jones: Hartlepool United part company with manager
Manager Dave Jones has left Hartlepool United by mutual consent after the club dropped into the League Two relegation zone at the weekend.
Jones, 60, had seen his side pick up only 13 points from a possible 51.
Saturday's 2-0 home defeat by Barnet left them two points adrift in the bottom two, with two games remaining.
The decision came less than 48 hours after club president Jeff Stelling issued a message for Jones to leave during a live television broadcast.
Assistant managers Alex Armstrong and Kevin Cooper have also left, with defender Matthew Bates taking temporary charge of first-team affairs.
Striker Billy Paynter plus coaches Stuart Parnaby and Ian Gallagher will work as his assistants.
Jones returned to football to take on the Pools job after a three-year hiatus.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 26, 2017, 7:15 am

Walsall 0-1 Port Vale
Dover Athletic 2-2 Macclesfield Town
Vale gets a fabulous late win to ensure that their will be nerves at Gillingham, Bury & Shrewsbury during the last game of the season on Sunday. Sure Vale have almost certainly to win against 3rd. placed Fleetwood in their game for one of the others to go down in their place..

Dover were playing for a play off place while nothing at stake for the Silkmen. However the visitors twice took the lead & were well worth the point..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 26, 2017, 8:19 am

Its going to be tough for Vale,as they are away,and Fleetwood still have a chance of automatic promotion if Bolton slip up but good luck to them from the Macclesfield fans in Thailand (err,thats just me I think,readers) ;)

Congratulations to Huddersfield on securing a play off spot in the Championship after a 1-0 win at Wolves.

The final day in the Conference will be nerve wracking for fans of clubs near the foot of the table.Southport and North Ferriby United are down but two out of Braintree,Torquay,Guiseley,York,Woking and Chester will join them,although Chester will have to suffer a heavy defeat.

Indeed a very exciting weekend in prospect for the final round of fixtures in League 1 and The Conference.
The Championship and League 2 finish their season the following weekend.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 28, 2017, 10:52 am

Friday 28th April 2017
Sky Bet Championship

Cardiff City V Newcastle United 19:45
Saturday 29th April 2017
Leeds United V Norwich City
Cheltenham Town V Hartlepool United
Macclesfield Town V Sutton United 12:15
York City V Forest Green Rovers 12:15
Sunday 30th April 2017
Fleetwood Town V Port Vale 12:00
Scunthorpe United V Coventry City 12:00

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 29, 2017, 10:30 am

Cardiff City 0 Newcastle United 2
Newcastle United kept intact their slim hopes of winning the Championship title with a comfortable victory at Cardiff.
Already promoted, the Magpies went ahead early in the second half with Christian Atsu's delicate curling free-kick.
Isaac Hayden's long-range strike sealed victory for the visitors, who are now one point behind leaders Brighton.
However, the Seagulls will be crowned champions with a game to spare if they beat Bristol City on Saturday.

Cheltenham Town "need to put their season to bed" against League Two relegation rivals Hartlepool United on Saturday, assistant manager Russell Milton tells BBC Radio Gloucestershire.
The Robins will guarantee their Football League status for another year if they avoid defeat when they host 23rd-placed Hartlepool, who are four points below them with two games to play.
Pools parted company with manager Dave Jones on Monday.
Cheltenham travel to already-promoted Portsmouth on the final day of the season on 6 May

Port Vale star Nathan Smith has described the morale in the Port Vale camp as “high” ahead of Sunday’s big showdown with Fleetwood Town.
Vale will be looking for a win to help their chances of staying in League One and Fleetwood also need a win to continue the fight for automatic promotion. 
Speaking to the media after the 1-0 win at Walsall, the 21-year old knows the importance of Sunday’s game but is feeling confident with Vale’s chances of staying up.
“The morale is really high”, said Smith.
“We beat them at home and it’s something I feel we can do. We’re going to go away, work hard, battle and know that we have to depend on other results too. 
“But, going there – I think we can win.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 29, 2017, 8:32 pm

Well, apart for those in the play offs, the National League is over for the season after a mid day kick off..
score.png
York managed a home draw against play off Forest Rovers but with Guiseley also claiming a late equaliser they go down again this year.. Lincoln City already winners & up, with Tranmere looking the pick of the play off contenders..
table.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 30, 2017, 6:41 am

Leeds United 3-3 Norwich City
Cheltenham Town 1-0 Hartlepool United
Leeds hopes of a play off place are all but done. 3 nil down at one time in this game they at least fought back for the draw.
Town will fight again in League 2 next year!! Although that was about the only ray of light in a pretty poor display against a Hartlepool side that will have to win their last game & hope Newport lose in order to save themselves from dropping out the league.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 30, 2017, 8:12 pm

score.png
table.png
Well that went right down to the wire.
Bolton snatch the second automatic spot.
The Iron finish 3rd. after being behind to Coventry.
Millwall get the last play off spot after a feast of 7 goal football in Bristol..
Vale take the drop but frustrate Fleetwood in the process & help the Iron take 3rd. rather than 4th.
Swindon's sad decline continues, while Coventry & Chesterfield will also have the delight of an away game at the gateway to the Cotswold's in Whaddon Road next season.. :D

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 30, 2017, 9:20 pm

i would ov taken that at the start of the season but after spending so long in the top 2 a bit disapointing to finish 3rd ..

Sad for valiants Vale always had a soft spot for them after my days in Hanley n the Left Bank public House , im sure they will bounce back .

T bar Steves Gills slither to safety ...

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » May 1, 2017, 2:59 pm

Sad day In Burslem, we need to have a good clear out and hopefully bounce back next season.

magpie73
udonmap.com

Post by magpie73 » May 2, 2017, 1:06 am

think it's Brighton's turn to hit a dodgy patch they've got a tougher game than the mighty mags some league the championship is though lose a game and you can end up mid table it's that tight any way I think the toon army will be celebrating winning the league this sunday toon toon black and white army up the premier league we goooooooooooooooo

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 4, 2017, 5:32 pm

Rather late in the day, but I have only just been nudged to realise that the play offs have already started.

Last Night..
Vanarama National League

Aldershot Town 0-3 Tranmere Rovers
So Tranmere seem to be carrying their league form on through to the play offs.

Tonight League 1 also join in the fray!!
Sky Bet League One

Bradford City V Fleetwood Town 19:45
Millwall V Scunthorpe United 19:45

Vanarama National League

Dagenham & Redbridge V Forest Green Rovers 19:00

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » May 4, 2017, 6:07 pm

Wishing Scunthorpe all the best in the Play offs

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 5, 2017, 8:07 am

Last nights play off results.......
League 1 : Bradford City 1 Fleetwood 0 ; Millwall 0 Scunthorpe 0.
Conference : Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Forest Green 1.

An excellent result for Scunny which makes them favourites to make the play off final at Wembley.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 5, 2017, 8:11 am

score.png
score.png (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Nothing decided after the first legs & with no 'away goals' rule in the play offs only Bradford have a slight advantage for getting to the finals...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 6, 2017, 8:46 am

League 2 games conclude today at 5:30pm UK time.
In truth there is little to decide except order on the 3 automatic promotion spots.
These will be filled by Plymouth Argyle, Doncaster Rovers & Portsmouth.
Luton Town & Exeter City are certainly in the play offs, but then it is very open to see who can gain the last 2 spots. Indeed only 2 points separate Carlisle United in 6th. place from Wycombe Wanderers in 11th.!!

At the bottom, Leyton Orient are down, but the last relegation place is a battle between Hartlepool United & Newport County who are 2 points above them.
Newport have looked like relegation fodder for most of the season but have battled out of the zone just as the crucial period approached. Their last game is at home to a mid-table, playing for nothing, Notts County. They do, however, need to win in order to assure survival as they have a slight (1 goal) disadvantage to Hartlepool in goal difference.
However, Hartlepool need a win to make that matter & they are in manager-less disarray. Their last game is home to second placed Doncaster Rovers.

Personal involvement is limited to a Town last game away at 3rd. placed Portsmouth. I think relief is in place that a last few game surge has seen them rise 5 points above Newport as points will be hard to come by today!!!
fixtures.png

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » May 6, 2017, 2:20 pm

Leeds can still make play-offs tomorrow if we score 14 goals & Fulham lose

... easy peasy lemon squeezy \:D/
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 6, 2017, 2:23 pm

Nigglyb wrote:Leeds can still make play-offs tomorrow if we score 14 goals & Fulham lose

I just love your optimism Niggly ...

CARMORM SCUNNY !!! ...
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » May 6, 2017, 3:41 pm

Nigglyb wrote:Leeds can still make play-offs tomorrow if we score 14 goals & Fulham lose

There are many permutations Niggly. We only need 12 goals if Fulham lose 2-0 at Sheff Weds or even 7-0 victories for Leeds and Wednesday. To paraphrase Homer Simpson "there are so many choices we just cant lose". See you at Wembley!

Return to “World Sports”