John's budget build

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: John's budget build

Post by Barney » April 22, 2017, 7:21 pm

What ever happened to the build ajarnudon?

Hope the budget build is on track?????

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 23, 2017, 4:22 pm

I believe he is currently enjoying a cooler climate in Aus at the minute. :D

From what he said to me this is a very low key start at the task.
Until he finally retires & can have a daily 'hands on' management of the build he does not expect too much progression..

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 5, 2017, 10:13 pm

BobHelm wrote:I believe he is currently enjoying a cooler climate in Aus at the minute. :D
From what he said to me this is a very low key start at the task.
Until he finally retires & can have a daily 'hands on' management of the build he does not expect too much progression..
Hi Barney and Bob
Sorry that I have been incommunicado for a while - and you are spot on Bob. I have just arrived back in the LoS and work is progressing now, but will come to a halt again next Thursday when I leave to go back to work in BKK. I will catch up on a lot of posting, pics etc then when I have evenings with nothing to do. One more year of work before I become a fulltime project manager.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 6, 2017, 12:34 pm

Have you considered concrete piles for the house foundations
My house has 7 metre long ones rammed in
Like you near the paddy fields and the water table very high

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Re: RE: Re: John's budget build

Post by Marmite The Dog » May 9, 2017, 8:01 am

ajarnudon wrote:I came back again last weekend and put a lockable tap onto the blue pipe and was pleasantly surprised by the strong flow from the town supply thru the 3/4" pipe. This will probably mean that I can save on power costs by bypassing the tank and pump except in case of need. I had been scratching my head about waterproofing the temporary power distribution setup but inspiration arrived on time. Had a chat with the missus and she she sourced the perfect solution - a heavy duty, button-up poncho. Installed it as well as a fluoro light - so we now have flowing water, light and power. All ready for the first evening barbie in about 10 days. Plan to invite all residents in the deadend soi (five houses in 200 something metres) as well as a few rellies - lots of local eyes with phones are always a bonus.
20170114_164127.jpg
You should always decant city water into your own water tank. There will be times when the city supply is dry and the tank allows grit to settle. It's also a legal requirement, even though it'll never be enforced.

Sent from my R2D2 using my trusty C3P0 manservant

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 10, 2017, 9:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up MTD. Don't intend drinking it, but I'll see how things pan out. Maybe an automatic bypass when the tank is full, with manual shunts. Probably less than 5% of villagers have a tank/pump setup on the town supply. The many that do have a tank/pump are using bore water.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 10, 2017, 9:50 pm

noosard wrote:Have you considered concrete piles for the house foundations
My house has 7 metre long ones rammed in
Like you near the paddy fields and the water table very high
Hi Noosard
At the moment we are still on stage one, which is the retaining wall and garage. It will be a while before we progress to the house proper, but I am not anticipating problems there due to the depth and age of the fill. The original fill was put in place 15 years ago, and I topped it up about 3 years ago. When the time comes, I will get the wife's uncle to dig a test hole with his tractor-mounted auger. This will give us a definitive view of what the load bearing capacity is one metre below the fill surface. By way of explanation, we removed the fill along the line of the retaining wall, so it is being built on the natural ground level.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 12, 2017, 4:22 am

If built on a properly designed floating slab, no piles required.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 12, 2017, 8:00 pm

True bluejets but this is thailand those piles are strong

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 13, 2017, 7:18 am

many times they advice to use the drilled piles , mostly it is because of the serious extra cash this delivers ,not because it is really needed...we also have build a home on rice field ground before , the normal way , no problems what so ever , including the pool (where they also tend to advice to use needlessly drilled piles ) ,(we also build the daughters home on a floating plate , with no pillars at all (like abroad), also no problems, many builders here seem to overdo many things , spending a lot money they could use for other things , but as the saying go's ..
as long as you are happy and stay happy ? ...good luck to all builders ... ;)

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 13, 2017, 9:58 am

Barney wrote:What ever happened to the build ajarnudon?
Hope the budget build is on track?????
OK, here is a serialised version of what has taken place ...
I have commissioned a builder from Udon (known as Geng to me, but Kang to some others) to undertake stage one, being the retaining wall and garage. It turns out that he knows our village (Ban Thueam) well, as he built the new police station about nine months ago.
Wall concept diagram
China 103 a.jpg
Sorry, wrong picture :lol:
South Wall.jpg
You will need to click on the image to see the detail

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 13, 2017, 10:14 am

Good one arjanudon,
I've been on that wall, not sure what footing they used?
What ever the design it worked.

Good luck with the wall, I will do something similar on my front fence as the missus wants a fancy insert.
Do you have a patent on it? :lol:

As for piling. Each place is different and as you say once you see the soil when you dig it will give a better perspective on whats down there.
I piled here because it was the method I used in building 2 homes in Vietnam, again is was a case by case study and I looked at the surrounding neighbours homes inside and out, who all did not pile due to cost or Vietnamese stubborness, but all the houses had cracks in walls and slabs.
I did it to be safer than sorry.

You could have the grand dad use that auger to make some small pile holes a meter or 2 deep. Put in some round bar reo steel and fill your self while joining in to your slab.
No need to go 6 mtrs with precast piles.

Good luck mate,

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 14, 2017, 10:02 am

Squaring up the footing for the gate column next to the soi
20170324_140542.jpg
Much of the wall footing will be below the water table for at least half the year, so the concrete has to be waterproofed - Lanko 322.
20170324_130753.jpg
Reo for one of the 40 x 40 cm columns
20170325_111546.jpg
20170329_162421.jpg
The guys are wiring up the columns to the reo cages in the bottom of the holes. The higher columns (4.6m from the base) will be part of the outer wall of the garage.
I was interested to see what would happen when they put the reo cages in the bottom of the holes. I hadn't seen anyone making up luk bun, the small mortar chairs they pour ahead of time to support the steel. As I suspected, they just dropped the cages straight onto the bottom of the hole. You can't do that! While they poured a shallow bed of concrete in the bottom of the holes a couple of days ago, the next pour will not be contiguous and certainly water will find its way betwen the two. More important than usual as the footings will be below the water table for at least half the year. Luckily I had foreseen what might happen, and stopped off to buy a diamond concrete cutting wheel on the way to the site. I went to the local BS shop and bought 20 small blocks and cut them up into chairs for them to use.
Before I left I inspected the first five holes in which the reo columns had been wired to the cages. The first one, closest to the soi, has an oversize hole and it is fine. The rest however were not. The holes are either 1m square or 80cm square, for the 40x40 or 20x20 columns. And that's just the size they made the cages (no concrete cover around the outside of the steel again). Sorry boys, you'll have to pull those out and make the holes wider - all reo under or in contact with the ground must have a minimum of 50mm concrete cover. I will end up with larger footings (a bonus).

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 15, 2017, 6:58 pm

Back in November last year, I visited Cpac at Ban Lueam (Udon Thani) and was quoted 2150 THB/cube for 180 steng concrete delivered on site at the village. When we returned to firm up an order in April, they said 2700 THB (including 35 kms transport which in reality is less than 25 kms). I didn't say a word - just turned on my heels and walked out. A couple of phone calls and and we were soon in business again. The wife's sister built a small house in the village last year and the concrete used has stood up well with no obvious cracking. It turns out that the local building supply company recently built a new batch plant just two kms from our land. Called the owner (whose mini excavator we hired previously) and he quoted us 1750 THB delivered on site (extra 200 THB for 240 steng for the footings). When we had a meeting at the batch plant, my wife negotiated a 'family friend's' 50 baht/cube discount if we paid within 24 hours. I had already become the building supply firm's only credit customer with a 25,000 baht/7 day account. Bye bye Cpac.

April 6, 2017
Poured six cubes into the reinforced footings for 17 of the wall columns. Da and I took the Lanko 322 to the batch plant and measured it into the Steng 240 mix. The first three holes were not directly accessible to the concrete truck, so it was into the tub then buckets. It was hard work because of the stiff mix, but with nine wotkers on site, they handled it well. The other 14 holes were easy, and were poured direct from the truck, using a sheet of old roofing iron as a chute extension. The foreman vibrated each hole poured.
tn_20170406_133243.jpg
The ultra modern control room of the fully automated batch plant
Boss at batch plant.jpg
My boss at the batch plant
Pricelist.jpg
Pricelist for different strengths
Having watched the batch being mixed and being satisfied that it was a good stiff mix, my slump cone remains a virgin.
tn_20170406_091743.jpg
Pouring the first hole
Pouring the first hole. It was such a relief to get those holes poured and feel that something concrete had been achieved (pardon the pun), rather than just having holes filling up with water. Job finished by midday, and the workers appreciated the carton of beer I put on for them.
Last edited by ajarnudon on May 20, 2017, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 15, 2017, 7:19 pm

Good price John, will be good savings when you have to pour the rest of the house.
I just had 6.5 cu mtr for the dog house and was 2100 per cu meter. Not worth the missus chasing a cheaper price for only 1 load. If I was building again with 50 or 60 cu mtr the discount would have been asked for.
Not being afraid to ask for a chop in price on everything will lead to good saving later on all materials.
Did they not offer the company waterproof additive mix at the batch plant?
Our underground room and pool floor and walls were pre-mixed.
It is good to see things happen, makes the day worth while wit progress happening.
Good luck

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 16, 2017, 7:43 pm

Mighty Ford Ranger.jpg
The mighty Ford Ranger fully laden with rented shuttering for the wall footing

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 16, 2017, 8:00 pm

Apr 12, 2017
I have sacked the local crew (from a village 5 kms away) working on site; they will not be allowed back. They worked liked Trojans while the builder was on site then stopped for smoke breaks and a chat as soon as he left. I had told them at least 10 times that all reo under the ground must have a min 5 cms of concrete cover - still they place it on the ground or touching the trench sides. I am sick of having to call them back to correct their sloppy work. When the builder was there I explained what I needed done; he passed it on to the foreman who acknowledged it - and promptly ignored it. I called a meeting with the builder yesterday morning, and expressed my many concerns about sloppy work, subervisiness, lies and damned lies. And one of them stole my hammer! For different reasons, the builder agreed - @ 400 baht/head/day they did very little, and he knows they are very lazy and deceitful. So today we have hung the cue in the rack, and he had one of his foremen from Udon come up and inspect the site with him. His crew will take over after Songkran. There was no chance that I would have allowed the first crew to do anything on site when I was not there. I am hopeful that the Udon crew will prove more reliable and follow instructions - if this is the case, then the builder and I can sit down and agree on limited progress in my absence with pictures before I consent to progress.

Took the shuttering off the first section of the footing pour today (after 2 two days) and it looks good. A couple of superficial cracks in the top that aren't a concern (from 38 degree pouring heat) but the builder and I are both sure that this isn't a problem, and we are watering it three times a day. Particularly as the the first three courses of 14 cm wide blocks will be core filled with concrete and reinforced both vertically @ 60 cm ccs, and horizontally in the third course.
20170412_124034.jpg

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 16, 2017, 8:19 pm

Barney wrote:Did they not offer the company waterproof additive mix at the batch plant?
I really doubt that any other locals would have used waterproofing additive; maybe the highways dept. when they put a couple of small bridges in last year. I just bought the Lanko 322 at Thai Watsadu and fronted up at the batch plant with it. I did the first batch showing the quantities I wanted, and left it and a measuring jug with them. They managed it all OK after that. The plant owner couldn't have been more accommodating.

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » May 17, 2017, 12:52 am

Nice to be able to find a plant so close and good price... Glad to hear about your hard line on the 5 cm minimum rebar coverage. IT's sad to see corrosion seeping up the rebar. do they have to corrosion resistant coated rebar available over there?
You sound anal for quality like me... and I cant stand insubordination. especially if your willing to pay for quality and there is no reason not to follow your specs. IF enough people refuse sub par work it will improve things. Would it have been a better idea to have the garage separate from the wall maybe offset a couple feet? My thought is to just minimize the length and ground stresses on the garage wall footing. How hard is it to get crews to use vibrators over there? Even over here you have to watch close if using a small pumper.. he will try to tell the truck driver to add water.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 17, 2017, 10:24 pm

Hi Randall and thanks for your input. I haven't heard of the corrosion resistant rebar, but the route I have taken is to waterproof the concrete with Lanko 322. As concrete cures it leaves small capilliaries where the water that hydrated the lime once was - the additive creates a chemical reaction that fills the capilliaries, denying access to the rebar. It is important where there is a situation like mine where the footing is below the water table, and also for bathroom floors etc.
A couple of posts further down the track you will see pics that show the garage/retaining wall pillars more graphically. I put down huge foundations and footings for the retaining wall, and couldn't see any need to duplicate it for the garage wall. I have taken a different approach on the opposite (RHS, northern) wall. On this side the wall will be only 60-80cm high, with fill battered towards the house in the front, and terraced for garden beds in the rear. Because there is so little retention/hydrostatic pressure with this wall, foundations/footings will be minimal as compared to the LHS/southern wall.
The builder has a vibrator which is left on site and it is used judiciously. My experience is that there has to be a balanced approach to vibrating concrete. Too little leaves voids, while too much will see the aggregate sink to the bottom, leaving the sand and cement separated on top. We had absolutely no added water for the footings but I supervised adding a small amount of water on site to pour columns because it was necessary. If you don't have a mix that flows for the columns, you end up with a situation where a lot of vibrating is needed, resulting in separation of ingredients as described above.

Return to “House & Land”