Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Randall
udonmap.com

Re: Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Post by Randall » May 16, 2017, 9:43 pm

'Ive never seen a tile person use a stool or used one... I hope the person is using thin set on the floor as well as back buttering. IMHO the thinset put on the floor correctly and of the right thickness and freshness avoids the need for back buttering. Why not thin set a row of 8 tiles or better yet 2 rows and then lay them? Do they have the plastic spacers to use in Thailand? most pros and me use them.. they come in all grout line widths.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 17, 2017, 7:39 am

yes, you can buy the plastic spacers in almost every store selling tile in Thailand although your usual village tile layer doesn't use them..
Dave

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 17, 2017, 7:50 am

Randall wrote:'Ive never seen a tile person use a stool...
You have now :) You learn something new every day.
I hope the person is using thin set on the floor as well as back buttering.
That depends on the position and varies between thinset, back buttering, and thinset + back buttering. As it does with any tile laying anywhere.
IMHO the thinset put on the floor correctly and of the right thickness and freshness avoids the need for back buttering.

It may
Why not thin set a row of 8 tiles or better yet 2 rows and then lay them?
Because the substrate is somewhat reminiscent of a sponge it isn't remotely water proof so that area of thinset would not be useable. An area of one or two tiles works if the base is moderately absorbent, otherwise back buttering is used to maintain the correct consistency of the thinset.

There are good reasons why tiling is done the way it is in Thailand. As there are for the way it's done in the west
Do they have the plastic spacers to use in Thailand? most pros and me use them.. they come in all grout line widths.
Did you look at the pictures? The answer is there in almost every picture [-X Do you know that if you click a picture it usually gets a higher quality version?

However the longer answer is that Thai tile people all use spacers, most will use bamboo as it's abundant and free, while the plastic spacers will have a cost that in UK terms makes them £1.25 ($1.75) each or £65.00 ($84) for a bag of 50. So if they cost that much most pros and you would probably not use them, or at very least you would be thinking hard about the number of beers that they would be costing you :) \:D/
For them to have a similar relative cost to UK ones the would have to be priced at ฿9 per 1000 not the price they are.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Continuing the process of tiling
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
The workshop shower
IMG_1149.JPG
The linear drain in the workshop shower
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
Preparing for posting at 12:13 Monday, 03 July 2017
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2017, 10:36 am

Yet more tiling detail

The transitions between rooms use a different pattern
IMG_1153.JPG
Badly cut tile that will be replaced
IMG_1154.JPG
On suite shower and toilet
IMG_1155.JPG
On suite shower and toilet pictures
IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG
Living/kitchen looking into the workshop
IMG_1158.JPG
Our bedroom
IMG_1159.JPG
Preparing for posting at 12:19 Monday, 03 July 2017

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » July 3, 2017, 3:38 pm

Looking great my friend, I will have to drop in and have a look at the finished job when i finally get my pension and get over there. Might pick up some names of good tradies to renovate our place in non sa at while there.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 4, 2017, 4:43 am

Fatone wrote:
July 3, 2017, 3:38 pm
Looking great my friend, I will have to drop in and have a look at the finished job when i finally get my pension and get over there. Might pick up some names of good tradies to renovate our place in non sa at while there.
You will be welcome though there's only 1 local person who I would unhesitatingly recommend and 1 team from kumpawape. We have used a company Bann Boon 2012 to build and I would have no problem in recommend them.

Starting on the workshop tiles
IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_1163.JPG
We do not have enough of the water damaged tiles to complete the workshop so need three different patterns
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
SWMBO is now cleaning the tiles in the living-room/kitchen
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG
Preparing for posting at 06:31 Tuesday, 04 July 2017

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 4, 2017, 6:26 pm

Project looks good and now the real cleaning begins once all the tiles are placed. :lol: :lol:

Goodluck with the finish.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 4, 2017, 7:17 pm

On the 5th picture we can see that the little plastic spacers are being used. The next 2 show the tile cleaning, with just a mop ? Has any grout been applied in the joints ? Thanks.. Just curious...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 4, 2017, 8:13 pm

the-monk wrote:
July 4, 2017, 7:17 pm
On the 5th picture we can see that the little plastic spacers are being used. The next 2 show the tile cleaning, with just a mop ? Has any grout been applied in the joints ? Thanks.. Just curious...
Sure it has, it took one of the tile crews wives several hours per room. I just didn't show any picture of her at work, also there are 3 days between between those pictures.
E2154432.jpg
Here is the ensuite shower showing that it's been half grouted

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 5, 2017, 8:02 pm

SWMBO is cleaning the workshop, probably for the first and last time.
IMG_1170.JPG
Bedroom lighting, we have colour changing and dimming the down lights.

IMG_1171.JPG
Living room kitchen dimmable downlights and pelmet lights

IMG_1172.JPG
Another view of the bedroom
IMG_1173.JPG
The extractor fan for the workshop shower and toilet
IMG_1174.JPG
The beginning of the big problems with the electrics
IMG_1175.JPG
And night view of the house showing the light coming through top windows.
IMG_1176.JPG
Preparing for posting at 22:01 Wednesday, 05 July 2017

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 8, 2017, 10:05 pm

A better idea of the living room light well showing the indirect lighting idea and warmwhite dimmable downlighting
IMG_1178.JPG
Looking up into the top level ceiling area
IMG_1179.JPG
Looking up into the top level ceiling area and where the in house water tank will go.
IMG_1180.JPG
The one colour changing light outside the storage room and workshop.
IMG_1181.JPG
The bedroom
IMG_1182.JPG
My paint room and hot water producing area
IMG_1183.JPG
The main electrical supply boxes and the electrical problem
IMG_1184.JPG
Our electrical wiring installer subcontractor is probably competent at putting wiring and sockets in, his work as far as that went looked OK.

But after installing the 4 CU's (Consumer Units) when asked which breaker controlled which circuit his reply was that he didn't know and we could work it out ourselves. He has been onsite and working on the wiring intermittently for about 9 months so you can imagine we were less than happy with that answer. Much worse than that was that when any circuit was switched on, with or without anything plugged in after a random time the ECLB tripped. This meant that though we could have power to the house it was dangerous.

A couple of days later he called up and asked when he could come back to write the names on the labels, we suggested that he would be better to contact the building supervisor. We didn't tell him directly that he would never be coming back as his complaining and work ethic was too bad and that the departure at 1:00pm with the comments on labelling was the last straw.

We have been in Japan for the last 3 months but our builder has said that he's now got the house wiring working correctly, we will find out in about 3 weeks.

Preparing for posting at 00:03 Sunday, 09 July 2017

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » July 9, 2017, 8:01 am

Looking brilliant stww, there is always a hiccup or two building in Los.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 9, 2017, 9:35 am

Fatone wrote:
July 9, 2017, 8:01 am
Looking brilliant stww, there is always a hiccup or two building in Los.
You are right there. There have been quite a few that were caught in time as we were on site all the time.

The problem with the electrics is, that I don't know how to fix it. With all the other problems I knew what was wrong I knew how it should be done and I could tell them how to do it.

We have been told that the electrics have now been fixed. But whether this will be true or not we will be finding out in about 2 1/2 weeks time when we get back to Thailand. It was really rather depressing because it's similar to buying a new car and then the engine doesn't work at all, with no easy to understand reason. It also put on hold fitting of the fans that we've already got and commissioning our air-conditioners which have been installed for almost 9 months now.

However if the electrics have actually been fixed then it will be full steam ahead getting our fans fitted, getting the air-conditioning commissioned, and starting on putting in doors and security doors in the workshop.

We do have a little progress, the bathroom storage cupboard now has its doors fitted.
IMG_1226.JPG

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

why so many breaker boxes ? in our small home i have 1 breaker box with 18 breakers ...
why divided to 3 boxes ? and what is a hot water producing area?.. ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 9, 2017, 7:03 pm

kopkei wrote:why so many breaker boxes ? in our small home i have 1 breaker box with 18 breakers ...
why divided to 3 boxes ? and what is a hot water producing area?.. ;)
E2154427.jpeg
Because I can :lol: and it makes a negligible difference to the total cost, while having enough sockets and circuits so extension cords will never be needed it also means we can put any appliances anywhere and be within 25 to 50 cm of a socket.

In the picture above there are 46 sockets and that's less than half the workshop, I will never have to overload any circuit. My machines can draw 12 amps so big machines can go on different circuits while being close to each other.
The smaller box splits the house and workshop supplies the aother two have over/under voltage protection together with lighting protection and a workshop emergency stop system with the contactor it needs. It also supplies the outside power points.

I see no need to have a single breaker for all the lights, though they would probably easily go onto a single circuit, for example the living room could have up to 70 lights on and is still only just over 600watts

The hot water producing area is on top of the paint shop and will supply solar heated water.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 31, 2017, 8:16 pm

Back in Thailand again the electrical system has been mostly sorted out, the continuing problem is that the circuits that are supposed not to go through the ELCB do at the moment.

We did have a situation where the air-conditioning circuit was supposed to be a 4 mm² cable was a 2.5 mm² and one of the light switches wasn't working correctly but that's all been sorted out now.

We went to SuperRich in KK to change money and lost about 2,700 Baht on the deal but we did have a fly through on AirAsia from Tokyo to Khon Kaen so overall it was probably worth the expense.

Just a heads up if you are flying through to Khon Kaen with international baggage it will all be x-rayed, however if you change planes in Don Muang and have a domestic flight up to Udon or KK them you have a good chance that your baggage will not be x-rayed in Don Muang.

We were shopping in DoHome in ThaiWatsudu and while we were checking out we saw these to mats and you can see why we decided we just had to buy them.
IMG_1391-2.jpeg
IMG_1394-2.jpeg
With the electricity sorted out we can finally get the helicopter fans up and functioning and I also put the TriStar up but we're not sure if it's actually going to stay there. We do need one more fan for the balcony but we will probably use one fan which was supposed to go in the living room and move the TriStar into the living room/kitchen.

I managed to find 12 watt LEDs which fit into the helicopter fans but the Tri-Star has less space so they don't fit there

IMG_1396-2.jpeg
IMG_1399-2.jpeg
IMG_1402-2.jpeg
IMG_1404-2.jpeg
IMG_1405-2.jpeg
Preparing for posting at 7:48 p.m. Monday, 31 July 2017 (Thailand)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 31, 2017, 9:07 pm

We have found a 100 W LED light in Udon in ThaiWatsudu when we were shopping in March, the only problem was that we couldn't find the light fitting for it, it is an E40, however we found it in DoHome and so we now have one 100 W LED as a test in the workshop. You can see the comparison between the 100 W LED and the 2x12 W LED's that are in the helicopters
IMG_1406-2.jpeg
IMG_1409-2.jpeg
IMG_1414-2.jpeg
Today's activity was fitting the 16 9 W LED lights into the double-height ceiling area. These can be switched in 2 banks so allowing owner light levels without needing dimmable lights.
IMG_1424-2.jpeg
IMG_1425-2.jpeg
IMG_1428-2.jpeg
SWMBO is enjoying the new AC while I'm connecting up the lights.
IMG_9513-2.jpeg
Preparing for posting at 8:41 p.m. Monday, 31 July 2017 (Thailand)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 12, 2017, 10:23 am

Putting up one of the helicopter fans

A little assembly is required:

Threading the security wire and electrical supply
IMG_1523.jpeg
IMG_1526.jpeg
Wire stripping
IMG_1529.jpeg
Attaching bootlaces terminals, this isn't necessary but if ever I need to move the lights it is more secure
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
Lifting the fan into position
IMG_1538.jpeg
IMG_1540.jpeg
Preparing for posting at 10:11 a.m. Saturday, 12 August 2017 (Thailand)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 12, 2017, 10:28 am

Continuing to raise the MrKen fan
IMG_1541.jpeg
Electrical connectors
IMG_1543.jpeg
2 x 12 W LED's fitted into each helicopter fan
IMG_1548.jpeg
Fitting the Security gate to the rear doorway and it's operation
IMG_1575.jpeg
IMG_1576.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg
IMG_1582.jpeg
Preparing for posting at 10:17 a.m. Saturday, 12 August 2017 (Thailand)

Return to “House & Land”