best internet service

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tyznd

best internet service

Post by tyznd » June 17, 2017, 2:35 pm

Currently in Chiang Mai I have AIS for my internet service and it has been very reliable. Before I had 3bbb but was paying more for slower speeds. I will likely stay with AIS in Udon unless for some reason people have had problems with it. If that is the case, any recommendations on who I should probably go with? Thanks

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: best internet service

Post by tamada » June 23, 2017, 10:08 pm

I had 3BB before I moved away about 7 years ago, 3BB while we lived in Pattaya and now we're back, we have 3BB again. Not sure how good AIS fiber is in Udon. I was tempted to give it a shot but stuck with what worked before. If 3BB was a blow-out, AIS was the backup. If you like AIS, try it here. If it works good please tell us as much. If it doesn't, tell us as much and try 3BB.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 23, 2017, 10:44 pm

Apart from a couple of weeks ago when a pole burnt down, 3BB has been really good and reliable, here's a Speedtest from this evening.
Attachments
IMG_0489.PNG
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tyznd

Post by tyznd » June 24, 2017, 11:36 am

vincemunday wrote:
June 23, 2017, 10:44 pm
Apart from a couple of weeks ago when a pole burnt down, 3BB has been really good and reliable, here's a Speedtest from this evening.
Where was the speed test done for - inside Thailand or to maybe the US which is where I am interested in? Thanks

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 24, 2017, 2:19 pm

The Speedtest is the speed you are uploading and downloading to the internet via your provider it's not affected by where you are connecting to as such. In fact, this pinged Vientiane in Laos. As you can see, it's super fast, it downloads and streams very quickly.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 24, 2017, 2:56 pm

In our small Loei village, TOT ran a fiber optic cable. I told my wife to sign up for the service. I knew nothing about the service so I told her to get the best that they offer. It cost 1,400 baht per month and is advertised at 200/80. Whatever that means. They told her that installation would take 15 days. It has been nearly that long now. After I get hooked up, I'll post how it is working.

I forgot to mention that the installation, cable and router cost 5,000 baht paid in advance.
Last edited by glalt on June 24, 2017, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 24, 2017, 2:58 pm

The speedtest is between you ( the client ) and the web server used by OOKLA etc. In Udon Speedtest will choose the best SERVER ( it tells you so ) to run the test, and it would be Vientiane in most cases. Should you run the test with 3 different servers the results would differ greatly. Run the speedtest with server in BKK, then servers in UK, USA, Japan.. and see for yourself. Keep in mind that OOKLA test results are affected by the Flash component ..

DESCRIPTION FROM THE OOKLA SPEEDTEST WEBSITE..

Latency Test (Optional)
This test is performed by measuring the time it takes to get a response for an HTTP request sent to the web server
It is done 10 times (configurable) with the lowest value determining the final result
The latency test can be disabled by setting the testlength parameter to 0
Download Test
Small binary files are downloaded from the web server to the client to estimate the connection speed
Based on this result, one of several file sizes is selected to use for the real download test
The test is performed with cache prevention via random strings appended to each download
Up to 8 parallel HTTP threads (configurable) can be used for the test
Throughput samples are received at up to 30 times per second
These samples are then aggregated into 20 slices (each being 5% of the samples)
The fastest 10% and slowest 30% of the slices are then discarded (see * below for more detail)
The remaining slices are averaged together to determine the final result
Latency Test (Optional)

This test is performed by measuring the time it takes to get a response for an HTTP request sent to the web server
It is done 10 times (configurable) with the lowest value determining the final result
The latency test can be disabled by setting the testlength parameter to 0
Download Test

Small binary files are downloaded from the web server to the client to estimate the connection speed
Based on this result, one of several file sizes is selected to use for the real download test
The test is performed with cache prevention via random strings appended to each download
Up to 8 parallel HTTP threads (configurable) can be used for the test
Throughput samples are received at up to 30 times per second
These samples are then aggregated into 20 slices (each being 5% of the samples)
The fastest 10% and slowest 30% of the slices are then discarded (see * below for more detail)
The remaining slices are averaged together to determine the final result

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2017, 11:21 am

If you don't want to faff around checking individual latency, try this one.

http://azurespeedtest.azurewebsites.net/

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 28, 2017, 9:05 am

glalt wrote:
June 24, 2017, 2:56 pm
In our small Loei village, TOT ran a fiber optic cable. I told my wife to sign up for the service. I knew nothing about the service so I told her to get the best that they offer. It cost 1,400 baht per month and is advertised at 200/80. Whatever that means. They told her that installation would take 15 days. It has been nearly that long now. After I get hooked up, I'll post how it is working.

I forgot to mention that the installation, cable and router cost 5,000 baht paid in advance.
Will wonders never cease. TOT had told me it would be 15 days for installation and they were on time. The serviceman told me the ZTE router is 5G capable.

All I know is that it is MUCH faster than my previous AIS 4G aircard. Large file downloads are very fast. I don't put much faith in download tests but from Ookla, the results are Ping 21 ms, Download 43.51 Mbps and upload 52.26 Mbps.

I don't know where they get the 200/80 figures from but this is the best Internet that I have ever had. I'm satisfied so far. No complaints if the service proves reliable.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » June 28, 2017, 11:30 am

think I will stick to my True air card as it works great and I can take it anywhere with me.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 28, 2017, 12:23 pm

minimiglia wrote:
June 28, 2017, 11:30 am
think I will stick to my True air card as it works great and I can take it anywhere with me.
My Netgear 4G air card is going to find a new home at the condo after I am confident that the TOT fiber is going to be reliable.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 28, 2017, 10:26 pm

I gave some bad information. I learned something new today. I was using a high speed WiFi adapter on my desktop. It showed nowhere near the 200/80 speed but it did work pretty well. I attached a LAN cable and unplugged the WiFi adapter. I really can't believe the difference. I am now getting the advertised speed using the LAN cable. It is now VERY fast.

Live and learn.
LAN.docx
(394.95 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”