Udon Flowers Melon Farm

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
parrot
udonmap.com

Udon Flowers Melon Farm

Post by parrot » March 26, 2017, 1:06 pm

We've seen these melons for sale at Villa.....and decided to take a drive out to the farm near Nonghan (about 24km from Udon, left hand side as your leaving Udon. Right along the side of the highway). Admittedly, there's not a lot to see........screened greenhouses with loads of melons, figs, mulberries, and a variety of other items. An AC'd ice-cream house where you can have a cuppa or a sundae made with balls of melon. No admission. Melons are on sale....not cheap, about 140 baht for one.
But the melons are delicious......just the right amount of crunch, yet very sweet.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Udon-Mel ... 0010848572
Attachments
20170326_124259.jpg
20170325_135311.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Flowers Melon Farm

Post by Barney » March 26, 2017, 3:04 pm

Yes Parrot a nice place to visit to spend an hour or so.

All the melons are hydroponic, did you pay a tip to the girl to walk you through.
Different stages of growth in each shades house.
If you were thinking of hydroponics a good education to be had. The pipework and filter system are quite intricate feeding the melons.
Melons are great an I was told slightly less cost then Villa?

The ice-cream shack is a beauty.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 26, 2017, 3:27 pm

Barney, all the melons we saw were growing in large plastic bags of a mulch (made on site). I think the nutrients are added to the drip watering system they have in place....but the roots are not in water. In any case, the melons are comparable to the Tibet melons sometimes sold in Tops.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 26, 2017, 6:33 pm

parrot wrote:Barney, all the melons we saw were growing in large plastic bags of a mulch (made on site). I think the nutrients are added to the drip watering system they have in place....but the roots are not in water. In any case, the melons are comparable to the Tibet melons sometimes sold in Tops.
My apologies, It may have been tops that they told us they supply? I just went on the your post mentioning Villa, sorry.

All the melons we saw were tied and hanging in the air at head height but rooted in the ground. Row after row. Max 2 melons per plant.
Strange, Each shade house as we toured through was at a different stage of growth, some on the ground just starting out in life but most up in the air and maturing.

We spent a long time there asking questions of the guide. She was very helpfull.
Yes the drip and filter system uses water from their large dam and does include the nutrients etc as in hydroponics.
The shade houses are to control pests mainly but also inclement weather. Whichever of the supermarkets they do supply I imagine would want consistency in the melon.
Well worth a trip with the kids, my young girl was very interested once we approached the shop. :lol:

But the ice cream shack is great. :lol:

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » March 26, 2017, 11:38 pm

OT dropped into this place a couple of months ago, seems like all my wife's FB friends had been there and posted a photo so she led the way. It was a bit over the top with its prices I thought, anyway she picked up half a dozen melons to give away. Personally I was quite happy to eat the melon samples and then wander down to the ice cream shop.
The ice cream shop was excellent as Barney mentioned. Coffee, Cakes and Ice creams were all well nice.

OT....... \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 29, 2017, 1:17 pm

Visited there yesterday and enjoyed an hour or so

Tip - If you have lunch there ( which was nice and well priced 50-60 baht a plate ) then entrance is free

Saw lots of fruit, inc grapes

Bought 4 melons, 2 orange 2 green @ 100 baht each very lovely indeed , 1.5 already gone.

They confirmed they supply Tops in Udon with their products.

nesnas123

Post by nesnas123 » July 31, 2017, 1:18 pm

Thank you for good information. greetings to you all

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”