Best surge protector

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
milkman
udonmap.com

Best surge protector

Post by milkman » July 20, 2017, 10:30 pm

I've got one called Power Max now, and more or less hate it. My computer keeps signaling it's low on power, even though it looks plugged in. So I'd like to find another - and from Big C to JIB there only seems to be one brand- and it looks junky, like the one I've got. Anyone know where they sell LOTS of different brands? Like Hubble- I LOVED my Hubble, but just can't find it anymore. They say Udon's got everything, if you just know where to look. Can you help me?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Best surge protector

Post by vincemunday » July 20, 2017, 11:24 pm

Did you try looking in Landmark?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 20, 2017, 11:28 pm

There's quite a few on Lazada too
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » July 21, 2017, 6:53 am

I managed a Server room with Dell Power Edge Rack Servers that were connected to UPS's. If power surges are your main concern, A UPS ( Uninterruptible Power Supply ) would be a solution. A good UPS Provides Protection from power surges, power outages and Power Sags. If your computer is connect to a UPS and your computer is signaling that it is low on power then your UPS may not supplying enough power to your computer. A UPS has a output power rating in KVA. You need to select an UPS that has a KVA output rating that exceeds the load that you have attached to it. The best UPS that I was able to find so far and purchase was on the 3rd floor at Landmark Plaza.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » July 21, 2017, 7:30 am

This has been a bone of contention for me for the nearly 40 years I've been in Thailand. The ones I have had have been heavy duty but only last a few years. My latest is sitting idle in the corner of my den, awaiting a replacement. It's much too heavy/bulky to use as a paper-weight. Any recommendations as to make and model of a UPS. would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. As you say, they are an essential item given the unreliability of the local power supply, especially in the monsoon season.

marcudon
udonmap.com

Post by marcudon » July 21, 2017, 8:24 am

Invadeit based in hua hin. Great website (farang company), high quality products. Quick delivery. I ordered 3 times there. Reliable.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » July 21, 2017, 8:45 am

[quote=goodison post_id=491194 time=1500597035 user_id=13739]
This has been a bone of contention for me for the nearly 40 years I've been in Thailand. The ones I have had have been heavy duty but only last a few years. My latest is sitting idle in the corner of my den, awaiting a replacement. It's much too heavy/bulky to use as a paper-weight. Any recommendations as to make and model of a UPS. would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. As you say, they are an essential item given the unreliability of the local power supply, especially in the monsoon season.
[/quote]

I agree. I live in a village of 300. Every time somebody in the village does some welding my UPS will be clicking in and out just like it is sending out Morris code. Unfortunately replacing the batteries is one of the down sides of having a UPS. Batteries are expensive. Replacing UPS batteries is a lot cheaper and less of a hassle then replacing a Computer power supply of the entire computer. If you choose to use a UPS you will always have to deal with the expense of changing the batteries no mater the quality of your UPS.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 21, 2017, 9:38 am

Uniteruptable power supply is needed on all expensive electrical equipment.cause by brownouts that lead to tv power supply boards burning out,remote sensors on the tv,hdmi connections.fans end up running on 1 speed only.its a drop in power as well as surge in power that leads to damage.i have 4 around the property and constantly hear beeps from them when the power is interrupted.they come in handy for when the power is out as we keep our wifi/router on one and can carry on as normal.dont bother with surge protectors as any extension cable plugs into the back and the ups does that job.got mine from landmark half way down the left hand side from where you walk in on the computer level.1,750 reconditioned units with a 12 guarantee.a lot cheaper than a repair in tv,computer.check that it's output is a plug connection as some have a kettle type output.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 21, 2017, 10:28 am

I run a Belkin surge protection board, (Lazada), before my UPS, then my computer off that.
Surge protection board cheaper to replace if lightning strike than UPS.
All works well where I am.
Mick

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2017, 10:37 am

mickojak wrote:
July 21, 2017, 10:28 am
I run a Belkin surge protection board, (Lazada), before my UPS, then my computer off that.
Mick
If there's any single thing that the local farang can do to improve the safety and quality of life in Udon is to replace all those rubbish, Chinese made power outlets with Belkins. The come in a variety of outlet counts, take pretty much any plug known to man WITHOUT an adapter and come in differing power lead lengths. I have been using them exclusively for over 6 years and never had to replace any of them.

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » July 21, 2017, 4:42 pm

Thanks to all who've written so far. A couple of things: Hubble, which I thought was so wonderful, when I looked at it, I see it was just a cheap orange extension cord- with no surge protector at all!

I looked up Belkin at Lazada: http://www.lazada.co.th/belkin/?q=belki ... dView&fs=1 Even the most expensive models (910 baht) had only one shut off switch- not one for each outlet. My junky Power Max has a shut off switch for each outlet, and I wonder if that's important?

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » July 21, 2017, 4:57 pm

I just went to http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/surge-protector/, and see that they mostly sell Belkin surge protectors. Seems like the most popular one is 100 baht more than on Lazada. All their surge protectors only have one on/ off switch too. Is that important, or should I go to Landmark and try to find one with individual on/off switches? Plus I'll have to buy another one for my TV now I know Hubble hasn't been providing surge protection all these years, just looking good.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 21, 2017, 5:34 pm

No big deal.
If you want to turn individual ones off, just pull that plug out :lol:
Mick

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 21, 2017, 8:24 pm

mickojak wrote:
July 21, 2017, 10:28 am
Mick
I thought a ups was a surge protector too.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 22, 2017, 4:50 am

It is, but nothing will protect a lightning strike except another sacrificial piece of equipment before it.
Hence the belkin first.
Mick

threestags
udonmap.com

Post by threestags » July 22, 2017, 5:24 am

My understanding is a surge protector and UPS are two different devices. The surge protector is designed to prevent electricity spikes or surges i.e. greeter than the normal supply, while the UPS is designed to switch to battery power when the electricity falls below the normal supply such as during brownouts/blackouts.
The UPS is essentially a limited backup should your main power fail allowing you time to switch off connected devices or switching on a main backup supply such as a generator.
Your surge protector should ideally be placed in your power distribution box where the supply enters the home, while the UPS is normally plugged into an outlet providing power to your essential device or computer.
If you are concerned about power dropping it may be best to install an alternate supply such as a suitable generator or solar. Obviously solar is only good during the day whereas a generator could kick in anytime.
My first step would be to try and assess what's going on. Get a sparky or competent person to install a volt meter in your power distribution box and monitor the voltage readings. If the voltage supply is constantly low, the power company should address the issue. If there is no joy there, then you have to look at alternative supply sources.

Cheers

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 22, 2017, 6:30 am

You will find that a ups is also a surge protector.https://switchon.eaton.com/plug/article ... suppressor

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » July 22, 2017, 8:06 am

The following is a clip from the APC Web Page. It is a description of their Home Solution of the protection provided by APC UPS's (American Power Conversion Corporation.) I used their UPSs in my server room. The down side is replacing the batteries. Batteries are expensive but not as expensive as replacing the Server.
This is not a sales pitch and just I wanted to point out that a UPS provides surge protection also.
The Back-UPS Pro family offers guaranteed power protection for high performance computer systems, routers/modems, external storage devices, game consoles and other electronics in your home or business. These UPSs supply electronics with abundant battery backup during outages and stabilize unsafe voltage levels. They also provide power protection from damaging surges and spikes, and allow the use of management software so you get the most out of your UPS. Premium features of this family may include Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), an LCD display, Smart Outlets, energy saving functions that reduce electricity use, network manageability, Watchdog, or configurable outlets. Together with the rest of the Back-UPS Pro's standard features, they are the perfect choice to protect your data and keep your system available.
http://www.apc.com/th/en/solutions/home ... office.jsp

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » July 23, 2017, 9:47 pm

Thanks to all who gave me advice. What I did was go to Lazada and order the most expensive Belkin they sell. Actually 2, as I had discovered my TV surge protector Bubble was just a cheap plastic extension cord. Cost me all of 910 bahts each, free shipping. My wife, who's more price sensitive, was a bit taken aback, but she recovered when I told her you chaps had said this would safeguard our equipment and make our lives easier. My experience is usually quality is worth paying for and I bet it will be here too. Thanks!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 24, 2017, 9:24 am

Marcosteffano wrote:
July 22, 2017, 6:30 am
You will find that a ups is also a surge protector.
Exactly. An uninterruptible power supply provides more protection for your equipment because it flattens/evens out the power. Your equipment is drawing its power from the battery in the UPS and not from the line. This also protects against ALL power anomalies, not just surges. Sudden decreases in power can be just as harmful; these are also protected against by a UPS. A traditional surge protector provides protection against only surges which are high enough to trip/invoke its protection.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”