CCleaner compromised

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

CCleaner compromised

Post by BobHelm » September 19, 2017, 8:28 am

CCleaner is one of the best 'add on' programs available to Windows OS users.
It cleans out all the old junk that Windows creates & clogs up your system with.
It has been around for years & reliable as anything available to users for free.
However last month their web site was hacked & the CCleaner 32 bit programs infected with malware. This malware could take over your equipment & extract personal data.
Avast, who now own Piriform, who produce CCleaner discovered the hack on 12th. September.
New updated CCleaner software is now virus free, however updates do not happen automatically.

If your version of CCleaner is version 5.33.6162 or if you are using CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 then you are infected & need to update the program from:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

The good news is that the server site in the USA to where data was to be downloaded was shut down by the US authorities, alerted by Piriform, before any data hit it .

arjay
udonmap.com

Re: CCleaner compromised

Post by arjay » September 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

Thank you for that Bob.

I had a paid for version of CCleaner and was using version: 5.33.6162 (though 64 bit). CCleaner prompted me this morning to download a very important update (to version: 5.34.6207), which I did straight away.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » September 19, 2017, 5:48 pm

I've had trouble with Ccleaner ,it request's me to shut down Chrome even though i've already shut it down ,so therefore i have to force shut down , i've now down loaded the Ccleaner as of today and the same senario ,i must add that i've just gone onto TOT cable from the TOT dish set up ,

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 20, 2017, 8:19 am

Update to the CCleaner 5.33.6162 Security Incident
Clarifying what happened and outlining our next steps in protecting CCleaner customers

read more: https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the-cc ... y-incident

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 20, 2017, 9:49 pm

A few days back my paid subscription to Malwarebytes flagged the trojan in 4 locations in CCleaner directories and quarantined them. Just read this thread and noticed that the installed v 5.33 was disabled so uninstalled it, downloaded v 5.34 and installing that. Like other utilities, I always configure CCleaner NOT to launch automatically with a Windows start.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 21, 2017, 9:09 am

tamada wrote:
September 20, 2017, 9:49 pm
A few days back my paid subscription to Malwarebytes flagged the trojan in 4 locations in CCleaner directories and quarantined them. Just read this thread and noticed that the installed v 5.33 was disabled so uninstalled it, downloaded v 5.34 and installing that. Like other utilities, I always configure CCleaner NOT to launch automatically with a Windows start.
... and disable automatic updating in everything, even in Windows.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”