School for my children

KruJane_20

School for my children

Post by KruJane_20 » October 19, 2017, 6:41 am

I'm new here and hoping someone could help out..My family are planning to move in Udon in 2 weeks time, my husband and I are Filipino teachers. Our concern is the school for our kids. This past semesters they went to Assumption College Ubon..Hoping you could recommend some schools who are not so very expensive like Assumption but has great standard in education. Thanks in advance...

felixcat
udonmap.com

Re: Looking for help

Post by felixcat » October 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

You may contact ICF Church, they have several Phillipino staff and many contacts in this community. You may also meet some friends. Sorry I don't have a phone #

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » October 19, 2017, 1:45 pm

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 20, 2017, 10:09 pm

Where in Udon, and age and sex of your kids. Also max budget? Apart from purely private schools, the better ones are about 35,000 baht a year (St. Mary's, a girls school, and Don Bosco). Otherwise state schools. There have been discussions about schools on here, trying using search on the home page for threads about schooling.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 20, 2017, 10:10 pm

Due to silly moderation, cannot say sex. I mean gender of course.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 20, 2017, 10:13 pm

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: School for my children

Post by Doodoo » October 22, 2017, 7:49 pm

Our daughter was at one of the schools that has been mentioned (St Mary's and Don Boss) and after time we moved to Holy Mary up the Nong Khai highway 10 minutes out of town, north
I find the classes much more manageable ours is 17 students, emphasis on English as l Classes are conducted in English.

The teachers are very approachable and helpful

As for rates I believe they are around 30,000 per term

Have a look at all schools, as each student have different needs and wants Good Luck

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 24, 2017, 4:59 pm

Udon Christian.

fogeyes
udonmap.com

Post by fogeyes » October 24, 2017, 6:08 pm

IMO, Udon Christian is a poor school. My daughter went there K1 level.I found the teachers to be lazy and uninterested in teaching..My daughter was very quiet and would not mix easily. Instead of using professional methods to get her to integrate she was left alone.
I moved her and she repeated K1 where after 6 months she was flourishing and continues to progress
Last edited by fogeyes on October 24, 2017, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 24, 2017, 7:49 pm

There’s likely to be different opinions here.
I moved my now 6 year old son from the local Phen state school, where he wasn’t happy, there were problems and several of the teachers were honest enough to say he was bright, certainly in comparison to his classmates and needed to be at a better school. I don’t think he was being stimulated, extended, controlled sufficiently and I was concerned about security, when he was caught walking out the front gate!
At Udon Christian there were initial settling in issues too, but my wife had a long chat with the teacher really about the kind of character he is, she appeared to ‘take it on board’ and he’s happy now and no.1 or 2 in the class. I’m pleased to see children remain in the classrooms, gates are closed and use of phones banned! Air-conditioned classrooms. Fees are reasonable (less than 10,000 baht per term in his case) and we hope to get him in the Intensive English Class (full now) from next year, which costs 2,000? baht more. Some regret that the school doesn’t have more space available and a green area for sports.
So far so good, but driving to and fro is a necessary chore.

HamKan

Post by HamKan » February 2, 2018, 4:48 pm

First time here
Could I get an estimate of school fees for Don Bosco
I'm in Australia and cannot reach school
Thank you

HamKan

Post by HamKan » February 2, 2018, 5:20 pm

Doodoo wrote:
October 22, 2017, 7:49 pm
Our daughter was at one of the schools that has been mentioned (St Mary's and Don Boss) and after time we moved to Holy Mary up the Nong Khai highway 10 minutes out of town, north
I find the classes much more manageable ours is 17 students, emphasis on English as l Classes are conducted in English.

The teachers are very approachable and helpful

As for rates I believe they are around 30,000 per term

Have a look at all schools, as each student have different needs and wants Good Luck
Good day
May I get an indication of costs per year or term for Don Bosco School - middle school age 12

HamKan

Post by HamKan » February 2, 2018, 5:28 pm

rick wrote:
October 20, 2017, 10:09 pm
Where in Udon, and age and *** of your kids. Also max budget? Apart from purely private schools, the better ones are about 35,000 baht a year (St. Mary's, a girls school, and Don Bosco). Otherwise state schools. There have been discussions about schools on here, trying using search on the home page for threads about schooling.
Rick
Is that B35,000 a term or year?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 15, 2018, 11:09 pm

Sorry for delay as not on forum much. 35,000 per year.

ytrewq
udonmap.com

Post by ytrewq » February 16, 2018, 6:52 am

KruJane_20 wrote:
October 19, 2017, 6:41 am
I'm new here and hoping someone could help out..My family are planning to move in Udon in 2 weeks time, my husband and I are Filipino teachers. Our concern is the school for our kids. This past semesters they went to Assumption College Ubon..Hoping you could recommend some schools who are not so very expensive like Assumption but has great standard in education. Thanks in advance...
ALL schools are garbage here. I have kids and learned the hard way. It doesn't matter the cost. Free or paid, they are all garbage. In the paid schools, your intelligent child will be in classes with stupid "rich" Thai kids whose parents can afford to pay for a seat. They will slow your child down. NOBODY ever fails. That says it all. Most (not all) foreign teachers are there for the visa and are not qualified. Very high turnover.

The Thai teachers are often equally stupid as they are the products of the same terrible school system. I am not exaggerating:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ed ... n-subjects

Absolutely nothing has changed since the article was written.

My kids learn online with USA public schools. Fully accredited and free or less than paid Thai schools tuition. The Philippines has online learning partnerships with USA schools. It's a much better option for your kids. Especially since you and your spouse are teachers.

Good luck!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 16, 2018, 9:35 am

Next time you are laying in Emergency in one of the local hospitals remember what you have implied and wonder which garbage school the Doctor working on you has come from.

"ALL schools are garbage here. I have kids and learned the hard way. It doesn't matter the cost. Free or paid, they are all garbage. In the paid schools, your intelligent child will be in classes with stupid "rich" Thai kids whose parents can afford to pay for a seat. They will slow your child down. NOBODY ever fails. That says it all. Most (not all) foreign teachers are there for the visa and are not qualified. Very high turnover.

The Thai teachers are often equally stupid as they are the products of the same terrible school system. I am not exaggerating:"

Good luck and you can only hope he is working on the correct leg or arm that has to be amputated

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 16, 2018, 9:36 am

ytrewq wrote:
February 16, 2018, 6:52 am
KruJane_20 wrote:
October 19, 2017, 6:41 am
ALL schools are garbage here. I have kids and learned the hard way. It doesn't matter the cost. Free or paid, they are all garbage. In the paid schools, your intelligent child will be in classes with stupid "rich" Thai kids whose parents can afford to pay for a seat. They will slow your child down. NOBODY ever fails. That says it all. Most (not all) foreign teachers are there for the visa and are not qualified. Very high turnover.

The Thai teachers are often equally stupid as they are the products of the same terrible school system. I am not exaggerating:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/ed ... n-subjects

Absolutely nothing has changed since the article was written.

My kids learn online with USA public schools. Fully accredited and free or less than paid Thai schools tuition. The Philippines has online learning partnerships with USA schools. It's a much better option for your kids. Especially since you and your spouse are teachers.

Good luck!
Hopefully by now they have found out about schools or, as you suggest online, since the original post was from mid Oct last year.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » February 17, 2018, 9:14 am

We are here for one year and have a nearly five year old son. We started him at Holy St. Mary school on Nong Khai road and he is very happy there, teach in English and Thai. Teachers are very nice and approachable and the Head mistress is oldschool! School is a large modern building only about three years old.

Fees are I think going to go up when school term next start in May to 35,00 baht per TERM, plus uniform and books. I think many people are switching to that school because of its growing reputation.

Return to “I'm Looking For....”