Puzzling Chumpae Place

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Puzzling Chumpae Place

Post by Brian Davis » October 22, 2017, 7:07 pm

Is anyone else familiar with the place I came across, a short distance from the western end of Chumpae town proper on the no.12 highway?
Looking for somewhere to eat, the entrance seemed fairly typical, but in truth it seemed rather run down, perhaps unable to compete with facilities at the big gas stations. There was a clothes shop or two and some cooking going on, but not a reasonable restaurant I hoped for.
But I was drawn to a couple of buildings, packed out with stuff much of which, if not all, seemed of Japanese origin. An amazing amount of miscellaneous items, reasonably well laid out, including lots of china, furniture, pictures, toys, frames. Outside there were quite a number of, I think, samlors (because appeared to be bicycle driven) and old bicycles too. But my biggest surprise came in looking into the warehouse buildings to the rear – full of all kinds of stuff piled up ranging from childrens’ toys and games, radios, luggage, clothing, toddler pushchairs, ‘cuddly toys’, childrens’ car seats etc. all, once again, seeming to be of Japanese origin. All of these items were dirty and scruffy and I can’t imagine anyone really wanting to buy, unless the items had a scrap/recycle value, although nothing seemed to be going anywhere! BUT, there was also quite a large number of golf bags full of various clubs(I’m no golfer, perhaps the clubs are no longer fashionable to current players, but they didn’t seem THAT old to me). Also, a large number of display ‘dolls’, dressed in many different kinds of, I guess, traditional costume/ warrior outfits etc. in glass display units perhaps 12-15 inches tall. Now these did look attractive and surely worth something, although I’ve no idea of the quality as these things go.
The vast majority of items must be considered, probably junk, but it did occur to me that there may be some gems/value amidst the items, things that a museum might be pleased to have, or a collector, certainly as far as some china, the ‘dolls’, the transport items.
I came away fascinated, but confused too. I’m supposing that most of the items were imported, but when and why, as much of it would surely be of little value. Nobody seemed to be about if I had wanted to buy something. The owner was ‘out back’, I was told, with some kind of machinery operating.
Puzzling!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Re: Puzzling Chumpae Place

Post by Brian Davis » November 1, 2017, 6:51 pm

No reaction to my post. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, because I can only recall any posts linked with 'Japanese' about restaurants or WWII. :-)
But forget Chumpae. In spite of living here years, I've discovered Udon has several second-hand outlets featuring stuff from Japan. If I've understood correctly, there are auctions held in Japan with container-loads of items, which end up being shipped here.
Today, I was directed to quite a big, fairly-well organised outlet at the Nong Sim end of Adunyadet Rd.
Things which might be of interest is quite a lot of solid, excellent condition, quality (IMO) furniture - bedroom and display units particularly- which would certainly interest me if I was making a home, handheld circular saws and angle grinders (no idea how reliable these might be), cutlery, glassware, china (some good stuff, I think, if you're prepared to search through), fishing tackle, some golf clubs.
I've still got a hankering for a Japanese 'doll' (haven't we all? :-" ) - actually for a display cabinet. Although a good quality plastic?, not china, still look attractive to me.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 1, 2017, 7:01 pm

actually there is a place in udon very much the same , I was a bit confused myself when I wandered around it , all sorts. at a guess it's secondhand Japanese goods , almost like they purchased a container load of it , mainly junk , but pianos ,china ect . bit like a car boot lot
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » November 2, 2017, 12:31 pm

papafarang wrote:
November 1, 2017, 7:01 pm
actually there is a place in udon very much the same , I was a bit confused myself when I wandered around it , all sorts. at a guess it's secondhand Japanese goods , almost like they purchased a container load of it , mainly junk , but pianos ,china ect . bit like a car boot lot
So where is this place Papafalang, sounds interesting, and there is also a junk shop on the Nong Khai Rd. but I'm not sure where yet.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 2, 2017, 1:24 pm

Perhaps I waffle on too much, that people don't bother to read all :lol: - but yes, the stuff IS container lots from Japan.

The place on the Nong Khai Rd may be the outlet in the buildings alongside all the building works, that's coming from Nong Khai way into Udon, perhaps a few hundred meters from the actual lights. A tailback of traffic in front of it most of the time now. I haven't been in there myself.
Two others are located 1) on the ring road,right next to the petrol station as you approach the airport turn off, coming from 'old' Tesco's and 2) as I refer below, top of Adunyadet Rd, Nong Sim end, on the right if coming from Central direction. The last seems the best organised.
Whilst certainly most of the items will be of no interest, I couldn't label much of the furniture out back at the latter 'junk'. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but it looks quality to me.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » November 3, 2017, 8:22 am

Thanks for the info, it's just sometimes you stumble on a gem in these places, especially something you have had trouble finding. They are very popular here in OZ usually attached to tips (refuse/recycling stations) especially for cheap and oddball items. I live next to an affluent neighborhood here, it's funny when I go there trying to find a park for my Getz in amoungst the Rollers, Porches and BMW's ;)

Return to “Open Forum”