Tour Bus From Nong Khai crash's Down Ravine.

Thailand news, views and comments
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Tour Bus From Nong Khai crash's Down Ravine.

Post by beer monkey » April 10, 2007, 4:36 pm

Tour bus plunges into ravine

A tour bus full of passengers plunged into a ravine in Prachinburi province, causing 7 fatalities and 30 injuries.

At 2 AM today (April 10), a double decker tour bus belonging to the 407 Air Pattana company, traveling from Nong Khai to Rayong province plummeted into a ravine below a section of the Kabinburi-Korat Road in Prachinburi province, resulting in 7 fatalities and more than 30 injuries.

Local officials and rescue personnel have recovered victims' bodies, while injured passengers have been sent to Wang Nam Keaw Hospital in Nakhonratchasima province. Questioning of the bus driver revealed that the vehicle had just picked up 57 passengers from Nong Khai province and was headed to Rayong province when the incident occured.

The bus driver alleged that he lost control of the vehicle when he swerved to avoid a trailer truck, causing the bus to overturn into a nearby ravine. Confirmed fatalities include 1 Thai male, 1 foreign male, 1 monk, and 4 Thai females.

valentine

Post by valentine » April 11, 2007, 12:07 pm

The foreign male has now been named as Mr Allan Thomas, a British citizen aged 60, who was apparently on holiday here. No further details are available. RIP.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » April 11, 2007, 7:03 pm

Hmmm, now who was it who recently asked about the Pattaya-Udon buses ????
Considering the amount of buses making that trip (dozens a day) its a miracle there are not many more accidents like this one, Especially on the 100 km strip over the mountains in that area (Kabinburi). Its a chicane and we all know Thai driving style !!!!
Last week on that road a tanker had lost control, gone off the road smashed the cab completely into a tree and spilled his load of oil over the road in the process which then promptly caught fire. It was an amazing sight to literally see the road on fire.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 11, 2007, 7:23 pm

the more crashes involving tour bus's happen, the less i would ever have the urdge to board one again, hundreds of bus's must run each day with no problems so accidents like this are a low percentage,but i have seen and heard about 1 to many over the years, just look for the skid marks and broken bits of vehicles on the roads in certain areas.

so to save my own skid marks i will give them(bus's) a miss.

and i love that strip over the mountains or any other roads similar when i am behind the wheel, if its anyone else at the helm not so much fun. :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 11, 2007, 7:34 pm

:lol: I took a bus to Trat years ago when I first came here and had enjoyable experiences!Years later I am living here and I drive the highways!The actions of the buses on the highways combined with ,what I see as low maintenance ,has completely turned me off to recommending buses or taking them myself for long trips!

averagejoe
udonmap.com

Post by averagejoe » April 12, 2007, 4:53 am

scary. when i was in thailand i took many trips with "chan tour" from bkk to udon but now that i think about it, there were many red flags. from a/c and mechanical problems to horrible customer service. i will definitely consider flying or taking the train next time.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 12, 2007, 8:11 am

None of those extreme sports tour buses for me!! You can have them.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » April 12, 2007, 1:18 pm

Each to their own I guess.
I have had many many many trips in the tour buses and yes one or two have had some 'less than professional' drivers behind the wheel.
Its not always the drivers fault and there is just as much chance of an accident when driving your own vehicle for example.
This is probrably the cheapest way of getting around - and for the Thais may be all they can afford. From the thousands of journeys undertaken by these buses all over the country - I think the accident rate is relatively low - just gets a high profile when it does happen though. How many car accidents do you think there are every day - but you never hear about them.
Bus -Fly or drive , the choice is yours and make your own opinions rather than listen to scaremongering.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 12, 2007, 2:05 pm

Call it scaremongering if you will. From what I have seen, the majority of the buses are accidents waiting for a place to happen. Perhaps the reason that many of them don't find that place is because people in smaller vehicles will give them all the space that they want to avoid committing suicide.
Ain't Easy Being Me

Return to “Thailand News”