U.K. Faces Longest Fall in Living Standards on Record

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
tamada
udonmap.com

U.K. Faces Longest Fall in Living Standards on Record

Post by tamada » November 24, 2017, 8:53 am

For those still retaining links with the UK or planning returning there.

"Britons were warned they are on course for the longest fall in living standards since records began 60 years ago after the U.K.’s fiscal watchdog took the ax to its outlook for economic growth.

In an analysis of the government’s latest budget and accompanying report by the Office for Budget Responsibility, the Resolution Foundation said on Thursday that the economy is set to be 42 billion pounds ($56 billion) smaller in 2022 than the OBR predicted in March.

It also calculated wages will not return to their pre-financial crisis levels of 2007 until at least 2025 once inflation is taken into account. Average annual pay is now projected to be 1,030 pounds lower in 2022 than the March forecasts and household disposable incomes will fall for an unprecedented 19 straight quarters between 2015 and 2020, according to Resolution."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... =applenews

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: U.K. Faces Longest Fall in Living Standards on Record

Post by stattointhailand » November 24, 2017, 10:36 am

"Britons were warned they are on course for the longest fall in living standards since records began 60 years ago after the U.K.’s fiscal watchdog took the ax to its outlook for economic growth."

You mean all those "VOTE BREXIT" people weren't telling the truth :yikes: [-X

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » November 24, 2017, 10:41 am

It's about time Michael Bloomberg changed his name to William Joyce

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 25, 2017, 12:30 am

Does that mean that some native Brits will pay off some of their debts?

With all the uncertainties and unknowns of Brexit I am surprised that any organisation or person can predict future living standards in the UK, at all, be they positive or negative.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » November 25, 2017, 7:38 am

Clearly written by a doom and gloom remainer, england will do rather well without the EU burdons thank you

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » November 25, 2017, 8:06 am

Another article witten by a remoaner. They will stop at nothing to try to undermine the UK economy, just like that idiot Carney. They want UK to do badly just to prove their predictions were right.Well UK is doing just fine.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 25, 2017, 9:30 am

minimiglia wrote:
November 25, 2017, 7:38 am
Clearly written by a doom and gloom remainer, england will do rather well without the EU burdons thank you
joudon wrote:
November 25, 2017, 8:06 am
Another article witten by a remoaner. They will stop at nothing to try to undermine the UK economy, just like that idiot Carney. They want UK to do badly just to prove their predictions were right.Well UK is doing just fine.
Gotta agree with both above comments ... IF the referendum vote had been remain .. not of this scaremongering would have or still be going on and the leave voters would have accepted the will of the people ... the fact that most of the remainers were hiso business owners n politicians etc etc .. they appear like a dog with bone and just cant or wont grasp the fact the people chose to leave AND GET ON WITH IT FOR THE BEST OUTCOME ... it looks like most of the remainers actually want Britain to go tits up n get a nonsense deal so they can carp WE TOLD YOU SO ....

Only my mere humble laymens opinion but i was most definately in the leave camp as were my family n friends back in Blighty , the EU and its crippling finacial burdens , loss of sovereignty , immigration , the KEY FACTORS .

With regard to the rest of the EU the bigger players wont want to see other members voting to leave and being replaced with the likes of Turkey etc ... and again imo if the Brexit is a success more will vote to leave in the coming years until the EU folds ..

DM ...
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » November 25, 2017, 9:40 am

Pretty well the whole financial world has been drilling down into every significant aspect of Brexit since the referendum and have come to the same conclusion - Brexit will be a disaster for the UK (and consequently for the living standards of those in the UK and those living overseas reliant on GBP assets).

The composite chart below of the Effective Exchange Rate Indexes of the GBP and the EUR (rebased to 1st January 2016) shows how the international values of the GBP and the EUR have moved since 1st January 2016.

Pay particular note as to how the EUR has performed since negotiations began in earnest.

GBPEUR-2016.01.02.jpg

If there was any kind of realistic chance that Brexit would not be a disaster for the UK, one would think that the hedge funds (with almost unlimited billions at their disposal) would be both shorting the EUR and utilising every available forward derivative to buy forward on the GBP?

The fact that they are not speaks volumes – well, at least it does to those without closed minds who are willing to listen.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 25, 2017, 10:46 am

Sounds good to me.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » November 26, 2017, 8:48 am

Ah yes, the good old democratic EU where the prime minister of Latvia (population 1.9 million and the 145th world economic power) has the same vote as the prime minister of UK (population 62 million* and the 6th world economic power). Except that Latvia and 24 other countries do precisely what the EU President tells them to do. Germany rules and France arse licks as usual.

* population figure included 4 million from other EU countries.

Do you wonder that the majority of Brits voted to get out at ANY price.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » November 26, 2017, 9:55 am

Referring to hedge funds and the value of sterling,well the controller of the largest hedge fund, George Soros openly admits to trying to direct the value of currencies, especially the pound. Perhaps it has slipped many memories but in 1992, Soros damaged stering and the bank of England when The chancellor was buying sterling to prop up the pound and threatening to leave the EMS. The point I am making is that the current value of Sterling may be affected by hedge funds boycotting the pound , but the real reason is to damage UK plc. George Soros does not want Brexit, further to that he does not believe in nation states, rather a borderless land mass with free movement of cheap labor, causing depressed wages and lack of job security for the indigenous peoples. Why,? well pretty easy, just look at who benefits from this scenario, big business especially the multi nationals . Rather than having a 'closed mind' as someone has written, my mind is very much open and has been for years. Those who control world finance do not care for people or peoples aspirations, look at this comment from a famous banker....'''Let me issue and control a Nation's money, and I care not who writes the laws ''

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » November 26, 2017, 10:32 am

=D>
joudon wrote:
November 26, 2017, 9:55 am
Referring to hedge funds and the value of sterling,well the controller of the largest hedge fund, George Soros openly admits to trying to direct the value of currencies, especially the pound. Perhaps it has slipped many memories but in 1992, Soros damaged stering and the bank of England when The chancellor was buying sterling to prop up the pound and threatening to leave the EMS. The point I am making is that the current value of Sterling may be affected by hedge funds boycotting the pound , but the real reason is to damage UK plc. George Soros does not want Brexit, further to that he does not believe in nation states, rather a borderless land mass with free movement of cheap labor, causing depressed wages and lack of job security for the indigenous peoples. Why,? well pretty easy, just look at who benefits from this scenario, big business especially the multi nationals . Rather than having a 'closed mind' as someone has written, my mind is very much open and has been for years. Those who control world finance do not care for people or peoples aspirations, look at this comment from a famous banker....'''Let me issue and control a Nation's money, and I care not who writes the laws ''
=D> Total agreement

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » November 26, 2017, 10:56 am

Well reading this i'm so happy *NOT*living here in Thailand were our dear Junta leader/Goverment tells us that Thailand is going better then expected..*NOT*,well that when i talk to my fellow Thai friends.

I've never heard so many Thais complaining that they don't have any money to spend on for example going out dining.Closing are many that don't have any buffer to live on waiting for better times..But one thing that i see alot of is signs For RENT or SALE..NPL loans higher then ever..Even Lotus seems very quiet these days,or is just me and my Cataract eyes that don't spot them ;-)

What's your take on Thailands economic..?

Wish you all an awsome day in this this awsome Thaivinter weather..heck i can't stop bicycling because of the nice weather ;-)Bless you all..:-)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2017, 3:41 pm

"Even Lotus seems very quiet these days,or is just me and my Cataract eyes that don't spot them ;-)"

I've just got back from Makro DuiDui49, and I think I've solved where the missing Tesco Lotus shoppers are :evil:

Never seen the place so busy ..... Thai guy in front of me spent just over B19,000 and he was not the only one with multiple trollies piled high

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » November 26, 2017, 8:28 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 26, 2017, 3:41 pm
"Even Lotus seems very quiet these days,or is just me and my Cataract eyes that don't spot them ;-)"

I've just got back from Makro DuiDui49, and I think I've solved where the missing Tesco Lotus shoppers are :evil:

Never seen the place so busy ..... Thai guy in front of me spent just over B19,000 and he was not the only one with multiple trollies piled high
"statto",try that ANY other day then Sunday and tell me if i'm wrong..okey.Because when me or my wife go to the local market they complain about beeing quiet..But glad you found people..have a nice evening "statto"..:-)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 28, 2017, 1:57 am

Inasmuch as when I was given the choices, I voted to leave the EU, I guess it was inevitable that the short-termists will latch onto the subject matter as just another vehicle for the Brexiteers and the Remoaners to try and poke each other in the eye.

I was drawn more to the early comment that wages will not return to the pre-financial crisis levels of 2007... a historical way-point that occurred a decent interval before leaving the EU was foisted on the British proletariat by Cameron's search for adulation (that was never, ever there) gone wrong. I still consider that the economic crash of 2007/08 was... still is the precursor to a long and torturous global slump in which it is safe to say, "We aint seen nuthin' yet." The media froth revolving around the UK's imminent departure from the EU is all a bit parochial in the grand scheme of big, worldly things. The fragile balance of the EU is itself imperiled with Merkel's newest coalition not coalescing and her long-tenure facing a credible challenge from newer, younger and totally untested entities. As noted in today's Express, "If Merkel fails again to put together a coalition, the only options would be a minority government or a new election, both of which would push the country further into instability." Unlike the overwhelmingly pro-EU British voting youth who only moaned about being totally marginalized and cheated by the older, less-educated and selfish Brexit-winning voter, the German youth wing of Merkel's own party are holding her feet to the fire on her commitment to their involvement with their future. So, how does the EU shape-up now that it's shiny, 'vorsprung durch technik' engine's big-ends are shot and about to be replaced with something totally new and untested?

There's a trend of discontent with things that despite broadly trumpeting the premise that key economy's are solid, money was being made hand over fist, markets are soaring and everyone's life is getting better and better, for the average punter, the opposite is the case. Quarterly employment gains in the US are given banner headlines despite being in incremental fractions of a percent and the small-print caveat of 'adjusted for seasonal changes'. Any positive balance of payment or improved deficit news spreads like wildfire with only the more circumspect of headline readers doing any reasonable research into the depth of these short-term gains and their impact or even relevance to the whole enchilada. Inevitably they find that like my first home from home, a lovely canal narrowboat, the foundations just aren't there.

In reality, life in these burgeoning, booming economies has become more and more dystopian. About 2010, there was the realization that having money for two, overseas family vacations a year was a thing of the past. Never mind, some still had the cottage in Dorset. Family and personal budgets needed to be revised and updated faster than Samsung could bring out a newer, faster smartphone for you to spend your dwindling savings on. All of a sudden basic services like daily garbage collection, an essential for the growing, consumerist family unit, became weekly... and you had to pay more for this reduced service too.

I think the Bloomberg headline would scan just as easily with "World Faces Longest Fall in Living Standards on Record." Despite batting 60 not-out, that's still kinda worrying for me. But it must be absolutely sphincter-puckering for the younger demographic that is actually paying attention... like the German Social Democrat Party youth. And all this "Let's take back control!" and "Better Together!' sh!te doesn't make it any less worrying IMHO.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 28, 2017, 2:15 am

The fact that Europe and the Euro have been doing well recently, isn't a reflection on how the UK is doing or on Brexit. It's more a case that markets consider that the US and its currency have been doing too well and are too high. Europe has also been that much further behind in the recovery cycle, with the ECB still involved in fiscal stimulus (QE), whereas the Fed are tightening and raising interest rates. Europe and the Euro had thus been depressed and too far behind the curve, hence they are now having their day (as investments have been moving from the US to Europe).

As far as Britain leaving the EU is concerned, the process is bound to be fraught with difficulties, complications and confusion, but unfortunately (or rather fortunately) it became necessary because of the EU's single-minded pursuit of federalism. If you think about it, they could have tempered their objectives, listened to the views of others, and not sent David Cameron back with an insult of a "sweetener" (flea in his ear).

As far as I am concerned I didn't see how Britain had any alternative but to leave the EU, in order to salvage our loss of sovereignty and democracy. As things were, we were no longer able to set our own laws, in as much as the EU had over-riding power over any laws we pass, and we were no longer able to determine and control our own destiny (or immigration).

We will still be in Europe, but just not in the EU.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 28, 2017, 8:13 pm

The blind belief that the grass will be greener outside the EU, without any facts to back it up, is what concerns me. Yes, there will be winners when England leaves the EU, there are always those who prosper on others misfortune. The main winner will be Corbyn, who will get elected (assuming he is still around, politically) as a reaction by the voters who were thinking it was going to be wonderful - turn the clocks back, no immigrants, a compliant commonwealth/empire (some really do seem to think it still exists) and everyone wanting to buy our goods.

Reality - will be different. Due to the total lack of preparation, it will be a Hard Brexit, or very close to it. It will be chaotic due to insufficient time to sort anything out. A lot of goodwill will have been lost (think Ireland). WE will be the ones licking arses to get deals (just remember May's embarrassing visits to Trump, and Modi in India. We no longer have a foreign policy - we have binned that in case we offend any trading partners. Macron and Merkel are now the undisputed powers on the European stage. We are just a nation of shopkeepers sitting on an Island near Europe. And many will have to start from scratch, or pretty nearly.

As Sir Winston Churchill said in his famous "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat" speech in 1940, It isn't going to be easy.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Brexit and the EU aside, does anyone think that their country, or any other country for that matter, has a firm handle on the ongoing global financial uncertainties?

A couple of weeks ago, it was reported that Norway's $1 trillion sovereign wealth fund was considering divestment from international oil and gas companies. Their previous investments in this area, coupled with eminently sensible tax regimens, has enabled Norway's deep fiscal fortitude compared with their neighbors across the North Sea where subsequent governments of both flavors have squandered their share of this once considerable resource.

There's been an overwhelming rush to embrace 'renewables' in any shape and form. Whole industries have been gradually shuttered while ungodly amounts of money shoveled into wind farms and other visual blights. Airlines have long been asking if you want to 'offset your carbon footprint' when buying a ticket but so far, I haven't seen any sort of footgear measuring tool that one can reasonably use to work out what the heck it really is.

OK, so a bottle of beer in Oslo is £3, ciggies cost near 10 quid and the drink-driving law is zero-tolerance, but pensions are rock-solid and guaranteed versus the high possibility in the UK that younger workers contributing to their pension will get next to nothing. Successive bad or insufficient investments have drained the pot already. Twenty years ago, the high price of beer, ciggies, petrol and overall cost of living in Norway was much derided by Brits. Nowadays, costs are on par and what have we got to show for it? I guess the Scandi's have always had a totally different take on what "quality of life" really means... or the British never paid much attention to grandmother's advice to save for a rainy day.

When the Beatles song, "'When I'm sixty-four" came out, if you told anyone that in just 50 years time, governments will be encouraging (I call it coercing) people to work until they're 70 and beyond, you would have been broadly ridiculed for taking the p!ss. For maybe five years now, banks have been offering the rather alarming option for 'empty nesters' and other home owners in their +60's to borrow heavily against their already bought-and-paid-for homes to supplement their late-retirements. Meanwhile, late-to-the-party, wannabe home-owners are declined mortgages because they are too old and youngsters don't earn enough to qualify. Some owners even claim that they have been clever and used the house to fund their kids university education. Not enough money to pay for the future generations education and an already empty pension pot. How horribly, already down the toilet is that?!

Meanwhile, we are distracted by the apparently very real and pressing need to fully embrace driverless cars and more recently (for the Brits anyway) how Meghan and Kate will get on and how they're shaking up the fashion world. Priorities anyone?

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”