Grab - The Taxi Service

General Udon Thani topics only!
Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Grab - The Taxi Service

Post by Rockfossil » December 7, 2017, 12:44 pm

Can anyone tell me if Grab has limits it will travel to pick up, day or night and any idea how many are operating in Udon Thani ? I have tried a number of times to use the service via the app on the phone, and it continually says there are no drivers available. I live near the PEA building on the south ring road, not all that far from the airport, and I would have thought they would pick up. I also tried to book one in town and it again said the service was unavailable. Getting a little p*ssed off with their claim to fame !!

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Grab - The Taxi Service

Post by wazza » December 7, 2017, 12:52 pm

My experience is, that drivers are flexible in their log on for availability. Not as many after 2300 hrs

eg, 1 or 2 have said they dont like working from 1700 to 1800, depending on the destination etc due to heavy traffic conditions

Despite this, Im very happy with my experience with them.

I still think it might pay to have a taxi number, as back up just in case etc

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 7, 2017, 3:42 pm

Rockfossil wrote:
December 7, 2017, 12:44 pm
Can anyone tell me if Grab has limits it will travel to pick up, day or night and any idea how many are operating in Udon Thani ? I have tried a number of times to use the service via the app on the phone, and it continually says there are no drivers available. I live near the PEA building on the south ring road, not all that far from the airport, and I would have thought they would pick up. I also tried to book one in town and it again said the service was unavailable. Getting a little p*ssed off with their claim to fame !!
You might be a bit on the 'outer limits' unless there's someone already on the south side of the airport. What time of day are you getting blanked? My experience is limited to 3 hires; 2 of them were mid-late evening from airport to other side of town and got a ride pretty much straight away with both drivers being on the west ring road already. The third one was again from the airport but just before lunch and it took 5 attempts to get a driver, eventually picking one up who was just north of the airport.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 11, 2017, 2:02 pm

Down in Phuket to meet up with a few work colleagues .

Thought, I will use Grab to bypass the local limo / taxi mafia

FORGET IT

All the limos are the Grab taxis, and all have the same stupid prices

200 baht to go 800 meters, 8 kilometres its 460 baht,

Airport is 860, 1 way, limo or grab. ( Patong )

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » December 11, 2017, 2:12 pm

got a " grab " to the airport this morning at 6am spot on time ....

Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Post by Rockfossil » December 11, 2017, 3:15 pm

Would you mind telling me how far you live from the airport and did you prebook the service ? Do they have a contact number for Udon if you don’t have the app ?

Cheers

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 11, 2017, 3:32 pm

Rockfossil.

Its all booked via the app.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » December 11, 2017, 5:51 pm

Rockfossil wrote:
December 11, 2017, 3:15 pm
Would you mind telling me how far you live from the airport and did you prebook the service ? Do they have a contact number for Udon if you don’t have the app ?

Cheers
once i,ve used a driver and they,re good i ask for there mobile number to use
if i,ve not got internet any time . the 1 i used this morning for family i called
last night to ask about 6am pick up then turned " grab " on at 05.50 could see
he was very close by ....spot on time .. i hope they tipped him

Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Post by Rockfossil » December 12, 2017, 7:53 pm

Thanks for that Timmy. I have tried using the app both at home and in town and they always come up with “there are no drivers available”. That is why I thought they might have had a contact number for emergency use etc etc. If anyone has used their service and has a mobile number for a driver, and the driver is happy for it to be passed on, it would be appreciated.

Thanks chaps

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”