MY house build to begin.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: MY house build to begin.

Post by Barney » September 27, 2017, 1:02 pm

Tamada,

I understand your skepticism. Our electrical guy was found a long time ago when we moved up the road to UT from KK.
We had bought the land and it had an old house. Plumbing and electrics were shot.
GF got his contacts from relo's in the land office where he had done some maintenance etc.
He is a Jack of all trades but his main focus is electrical without being a formal contractor.
On the old house he got our plumbing up and running by installing and redirecting pipes and new Hitachi pump in place. All the old plumbing was in the slab and was redundant.
He then put in a new DB and fixed all the circuits and lights. Got an AC man to install 2 new AC's, installed an instantaneous water heater in the shower etc etc. Remember this was a dilapidated home and has only been a temp dwelling while we slowly build the new home. This old house will be demolished later.
He was instructed not to be tempted to give us Falang costs with the carrot of all the work in the new house. He has been reasonable and got a lot of work in the new house. I may be wrong but I think it was 300 bht an out let or light. That's supply of wire and the rough in work and connection. I supplied the LED lights, ceiling fans and small power outlets. He bought and installed the main DB's and the smaller DB in the pool pump room.
He has procured all electrical items and wired the house, installed toilet cisterns, incoming power and new meter ( he has a contact at the PEA). run the conduits in the ceiling space for future security systems, ran conduits back to the front fence area for future gate and cameras, wired up the dog house, installed and wired the new water filters and 2 pumps etc etc etc.
He has contacts in all trades to come and assist for anything, Under his supervision. He helped by going around to get better prices from most shops after we got price. His son comes and helps when required. And sometimes his missus helps.
He has become some what of a friend and will always come and fix things on short notice from the GF. I pay him a reasonable rate because of his honesty and service. With his general building knowledge my GF was able to use him for a lot of advice and some project management during the new build. He didn't build the house as we used different subbies, but he was able to talk to them during the build and give honest feed back to my GF and any problems he could see. She is not a builder but learnt fast.
Being a sparky myself I designed the electrics for my house and he followed it, any changes he would always get the GF to contact me and with the confidence in him I usually agreed to his local knowledge. I only provided a sketch or drawing and he understood what I wanted, he don't speak English.

sunwavessand
udonmap.com

Post by sunwavessand » November 1, 2017, 8:00 pm

Looks great! Looking forward to more updates. Cheers.

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » November 13, 2017, 4:00 am

Doors look great... Wow I think your
GF can become a GC after this project.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 13, 2017, 3:13 pm

I suspect there won't be to many more updates for a little while as the move in ceremony was completed last thursday , couldn't believe I could get a hangover from a Buddhist ceremony :D , but have proved you can.

3 laps around the house to clear any nasty ghosts etc from the place then the official welcome and bit of chanting and cheering in the house, tie the white and orange string on the wrists, then the copious amounts of food that was prepared offsite and alcohol could be bought in. Relo's from KK and GF friends had a right old knees up. \:D/
Good day by all.

Got the furniture builder in now for bedroom ensuites, bathroom and laundry, so will post that later when he is complete.
Attachments
HW2.jpg
HW6.JPG
HW4.jpg
HW1.jpg

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » November 13, 2017, 6:30 pm

I guess your Filas were not allowed to take part? :-)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 13, 2017, 8:25 pm

organised the Piss up, and didnt consult his FIFO mates,

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » December 4, 2017, 7:54 pm

So you cant start to build bedroom furniture until after the blessing?

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 4, 2017, 8:22 pm

Randall wrote:
December 4, 2017, 7:54 pm
So you cant start to build bedroom furniture until after the blessing?
No , sorry if I confused the issue. He was banned for a few days so the place could be cleaned of his mess and dust.
No food and drink prepared and put in the house before hand.
Every thing else was good to go.
Furniture builder man is back now and slowly working to completion.
Will have photos of that later. :D

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » December 4, 2017, 8:59 pm

Barney wrote:
December 4, 2017, 8:22 pm
I'll certainly be interested in the furniture builders work. I've got some bathrooms & closets to fit out in the future
Cheers
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 6, 2017, 7:32 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
December 4, 2017, 8:59 pm
Barney wrote:
December 4, 2017, 8:22 pm
I'll certainly be interested in the furniture builders work. I've got some bathrooms & closets to fit out in the future
Cheers

Nigglyb
Send me a PM when you are closer to the mark and I will give details so you can get his contact or you can just go have a look at what he has built. Better to maybe judge for your self. :D
He is still at the house and waiting on a formica sheet and specific colour to arrive in country to finish one of the bedrooms.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » December 6, 2017, 8:50 pm

Barney wrote:
December 6, 2017, 7:32 pm

Nigglyb
Send me a PM when you are closer to the mark and I will give details so you can get his contact or you can just go have a look at what he has built. Better to maybe judge for your self. :D
He is still at the house and waiting on a formica sheet and specific colour to arrive in country to finish one of the bedrooms.
Thanks Barney, thats a brilliant offer & greatly appreciated, cheers.
I'm probably at least 3 months away from fitting out the rooms, but I'll hold you to the PM if thats okay

Nigglyb

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 13, 2017, 4:22 pm

My sparky finally came back to town and finished a couple of jobs.
Purchased and installed the exterior lights under the eaves with an additional night sensor.
Wired and installed the internal power outlets and internet cables in the roof space for our 2 internet units. One in the kitchen and the other in the office utility room.
And few other odds and bodds to complete the main boards. 5000 to finish his work and purchase new items, lights and internet unit.

The 3BB Fibre Optic contract guys were booked and installed a new cable to our new house. It was originally installed in the old house. Moved up to the next pole 30mtrs away and in through the conduit already in place from the pole to the house for my sparky to take over.
3BB work was free.
Attachments
IMG_5200.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5194.JPG

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 17, 2017, 10:59 pm

Hi Barney
It was great to catch up on a rare occasion that we were both in town at the same time. Thanks for showing us around; I can see why you are so proud of it, particularly the overseeing by your missus. And my wife and her GF really enjoyed what you and I would call 'the housewarming'. A shame that I was working back in Bangkok, otherwise I could have shared your hangover.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 26, 2017, 7:59 pm

Break I the cricket so posting some boring stuff.
Furniture builder is nearly finished, completed the main bedroom, built in robe, bed side tables, TV wall area, ensuite in bathroom, plus daughters bedroom, TV wall area, double bed, robes with study desk, ensuite bathroom and yet to completed the 3rd bedroom. Wont be long. He has been able to do all work onsite as we have the large covered area out the back. All cutting and gluing etc. Just has to fit out some electrical lights and outlets.
He fitted all bathroom sinks, taps, plumbing etc.

Provided a design and procured a wicker cane bed/lounge from a place on the ring road which was immediately successful with the girls, and put the plastic grass at the end of the pool.
Attachments
IMG_5242.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG
IMG_5240.JPG
IMG_5246.JPG
IMG_5243.JPG
IMG_5246.JPG
IMG_5245.JPG
IMG_5244.JPG
IMG_5239.JPG

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » December 26, 2017, 11:07 pm

Looking good

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Just an update on the 3rd bedroom's built in furniture, wardrobe, bedside tables, makeup desk, Wall TV and storage unit. Builder is just about finished, with the electrics to be reinstated.
He'll have to finish soon as we have the retainer money sitting waiting till after final inspection. :lol:

Next challenge on the premises for my girl is the front concrete fence. Plus some side fencing. Completing the perimeter fence will allow her to let the big dogs free to roam with out the worry of attack.
She will go for 3 quotes, maybe or maybe not all from the same bloke, Fence, Steel inserts and the auto electric gate.
Attachments
IMG_5247.JPG
IMG_5392.JPG
IMG_5394.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » January 3, 2018, 5:31 pm

Really moving along Barney

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 3, 2018, 6:54 pm

looks nice indeed but the bed is not ok though , full wood under a mattress is not good , a mattress must air.... ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 3, 2018, 8:21 pm

Advice noted, but,
It's called home maintenance. You air your mattress regularly by removing bedding, vacuuming, turning etc.
Then you take you mattress outside to air for a few hours.
This should apply no matter what base you have.
Quality of the mattress does come into play of course.
The flat base we have is not a concern for me. Having a sprung type base does not allow full airing.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 3, 2018, 8:41 pm

Barney wrote:
January 3, 2018, 8:21 pm
Advice noted, but,
It's called home maintenance. You air your mattress regularly by removing bedding, vacuuming, turning etc.
Then you take you mattress outside to air for a few hours.
This should apply no matter what base you have.
Quality of the mattress does come into play of course.
The flat base we have is not a concern for me. Having a sprung type base does not allow full airing.
I think he means the mattress should sit on slats, not a sheet, very easy to correct, I agree also, mattress cannot breathe.

Return to “House & Land”