Udon a cold weather disaster zone

Udon Thani news, views and comments
timmy
udonmap.com

Re: Udon a cold weather disaster zone

Post by timmy » January 27, 2018, 3:35 pm

you always have to knock the ARCHA drinkers .... i think its only in your HEAD ... i bet he was drinking Chang or Leo
but because he looked like a bum , it just had to be " archa " i feel sorry for you .. "

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 27, 2018, 4:11 pm

timmy wrote:
January 27, 2018, 3:35 pm
you always have to knock the ARCHA drinkers .... i think its only in your HEAD ... i bet he was drinking Chang or Leo
but because he looked like a bum , it just had to be " archa " i feel sorry for you .. "
Definately Archa timmy i slowed down to double check ... i cant comment if he was a bum and as he wasnt really wearing any clothes to access if bummyness it was hard to tell and best not to stereotype IMO .. YOU are implying bums drink Archa not me , i drink small Chang cans as my local beer of choice ... doesnt that carry a "bum" tag or warning ?? , however when i do choose to partake in a local alcoholic beverage i prefer to be wearing clothes and actually in a bar when i do so not roaming around the streets at 8am.

My main point was when Thais see expats acting like this they do tend to tar us all with the same brush .. IMO

Back on topic ..... very cloudy dull and dismal today , nice n cool tho .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » January 27, 2018, 5:21 pm

Maybe I seen a Bum farang, and he didn't have any beer. Just curled up like a rag doll on the farang street behind BKK Hospital. This was about 5am. Looked real dirty too...but those white legs is a ral give-away.
Back on topic.."Farang" is a derogitory word. We should stop using it.
More Back on topic.....Most are asleep to the fact the weather has been weaponized by the ones we are forced to pay taxes to. This is just the "test run". Keep that coat and boots around. Just sayin'.....

ytrewq
udonmap.com

Post by ytrewq » January 28, 2018, 5:56 am

The colloquial meaning of "farang" is "white guy/gal". It is not derogatory when not intentionally meant to be derogatory: "Who ordered the beer?" "The white guy over there.", for example. The context in which it is used or adding a modifier can make it offensive: "Stupid white guy", for example. In more formal references, it can mean "foreigner", but typically, Thais are simply saying "white guy/gal" without intentional offense.

Another Asian, Black/Brown, or other person is typically not going to be referred to as "farang" in common conversation except to identify that person as a foreigner. In which case "farang" adopts the literal meaning of "foreigner".

With all the offensive and derogatory references and stereotypes casually tossed around by farangs daily, it is ironic that farangs are "offended" when Thais refer to them as farangs. Crayzee. :confused:

Get over it because This Is Thailand and that's how it will remain.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » January 28, 2018, 7:43 am

Hey Felix, tried to pm you...but says you don't accept messages.
:roll:

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 28, 2018, 10:38 am

ytrewq wrote:
January 28, 2018, 5:56 am
The colloquial meaning of "farang" is "white guy/gal". It is not derogatory when not intentionally meant to be derogatory: "Who ordered the beer?" "The white guy over there.", for example. The context in which it is used or adding a modifier can make it offensive: "Stupid white guy", for example. In more formal references, it can mean "foreigner", but typically, Thais are simply saying "white guy/gal" without intentional offense.

Another Asian, Black/Brown, or other person is typically not going to be referred to as "farang" in common conversation except to identify that person as a foreigner. In which case "farang" adopts the literal meaning of "foreigner".

With all the offensive and derogatory references and stereotypes casually tossed around by farangs daily, it is ironic that farangs are "offended" when Thais refer to them as farangs. Crayzee. :confused:

Get over it because This Is Thailand and that's how it will remain.
100% correct

Never heard the tall white guy meaning but i was always under the impression farang was more or less "foreigner" ... as you correctly say this is really of little importance and just get over it ... when writing or speaking i prefer to use the word Expat.

BACK ON TOPIC ...only one word to describe this mornings weather GLORIOUS !!!

DM

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 28, 2018, 12:08 pm

A black or Asian person is not a farang.
If it's offensive to refer to someone by the color of their skin, it doesn't matter who is doing the offending.
Don't excuse racist behavior or language based on the offender's skin tone. That's racist.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 28, 2018, 12:29 pm

NOW near Udon airport ..... Partly cloudy a tadge over cast but lovely n warm , light breeze ......still cant wait for Zids predicted cold snap starting mid next week.

DM

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 28, 2018, 12:46 pm

Oh,its coming matey......time to wear a thick jacket,gloves and knee length Scunthorpe United football socks ! :D
The forecast has changed slightly and it looks like next weekend till the Tuesday will be the coolest.....just when I'm in Loei......maybe see some fog in Phu Rua ?
Wednesday,High 27c 81f,Low 14c 57f
Thursday 1st February,High 21c 70f,Low 14c 57f
Friday,High 24c 75f,Low 14c 57f
Saturday,High 22c 72f,Low 10c 50f
Sunday,High 22c 72f,Low 10c 50f
Monday,High 22c 72f,Low 10c 50f
Tuesday 6th February,High 23c 73f,Low 11c 52f
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » January 28, 2018, 5:37 pm

Faraday , I don't have a PM buttom. It's gone.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 28, 2018, 7:24 pm

Wish I had those lows as highs in a little over a week, due to be 18f to 20f as highs where I am right now.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 29, 2018, 12:34 pm

Temperatures to fall, heavy rain in many parts of Thailand
Breaking News January 29, 2018 10:01 By The Nation

The Meteorological Department on Monday reaffirmed its warning that heavy rain would hit many parts of the country, followed by a sharp drop in temperatures.

In its tenth urgent warning of unpredictable weather, issued at 5 am on Monday, the department attributed the changing conditions to a strong high pressure ride from China that is covering upper Vietnam and is expected to move down to cover Thailand’s Northeast later in the day. The department said people should expect thunderstorms and showers throughout the week, accompanied by strong winds and a drop in temperature by 6-8 Celsius. The unseasonal weather will first occur in the Northeast, followed by the North, the East and Central areas, the statement said, adding that Bangkok and surrounding areas would also experience heavy rainfall and falling temperatures. A strong northeast monsoon is spreading across the Gulf and this will also lead to heavy rain and isolated torrential downpours in the South, the department said.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30337381

ytrewq
udonmap.com

Post by ytrewq » January 30, 2018, 7:04 am

My weather app, which gives local breakdowns by the hour, says 0-20% chance of rain in Udon over next 10 days. Just cold in the wee hours for those without oil heaters and proper insulation. Nothing to worry about at our place. ;)

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » January 31, 2018, 12:10 pm

While it is sad to hear of the death of Thais from uncommon cold spells, it seem unlikely that Thais are unaware of the threat of a killing cold spell. From my recollection I've heard of this happening many times. Likely most Thais know the means of surviving unseasonable cold by dressing in many layers of clothes, using blankets, etc. Likely it catches some unprepared or without the means of preparing. Mai dee!

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » January 31, 2018, 2:02 pm

Little Cool Air NOT a Problem WELCOME it, my Humble Opinion a far sight better than those 104F 105F super hot days.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 16, 2018, 4:54 pm

Driving through the palm tree fringed boulevards of Udon :-s this afternoon,amongst the ever courteous Thai drivers :-s ,I noticed the air temperature reached 37c which is 99f.
Thank goodness its still the "cool season." It will start to get hot in March ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 16, 2018, 5:42 pm

Zidane wrote:
February 16, 2018, 4:54 pm
Driving through the palm tree fringed boulevards of Udon :-s this afternoon,amongst the ever courteous Thai drivers :-s ,I noticed the air temperature reached 37c which is 99f.
Thank goodness its still the "cool season." It will start to get hot in March ! ;)
It was only 37c in the close proximity of where you deliberately cut up that Thai pick- up who was just turning right from the duel carriageway "T" junction :-$

Return to “Udon Thani News”