Road Carnage

General Udon Thani topics only!
Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Re: Road Carnage

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 6, 2018, 7:29 pm

Brian & Semper you are both 1000% correct. I put it down to thier ignorance..

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 6, 2018, 8:14 pm

tataw wrote:
January 12, 2018, 4:48 am
The WHO report had Libya as #1 and Thailand #2. I wonder where this puts India?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/10 ... -seriously
Al Jazerra Had India as #1 On Last Nights News....Thought Thailand Was ??

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » March 7, 2018, 12:10 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 6, 2018, 7:03 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
March 6, 2018, 6:43 pm
That's the problem....there is no logic in the Thai mind as we know it. I think it has to be a defective gene in the Thai DNA. That's the only logical explanation as we know it!
Sorry, your explanation is not logical, it is racist.
Big difference between racist and realist. The truth should never be allowed to hide behind political correctness which itself should be abolished.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » March 7, 2018, 8:24 am

jai yen yen wrote:
March 7, 2018, 12:10 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 6, 2018, 7:03 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
March 6, 2018, 6:43 pm
That's the problem....there is no logic in the Thai mind as we know it. I think it has to be a defective gene in the Thai DNA. That's the only logical explanation as we know it!
Sorry, your explanation is not logical, it is racist.
Big difference between racist and realist. The truth should never be allowed to hide behind political correctness which itself should be abolished.
I do not have any answers nor any solutions. I only have my observations. I believe that it is the culture and environment in which you have grown up in. For those of us that have grown up in a different culture and environment have the values and the mindset from the experiences of living in that culture. I can only speak for myself and I can say moving to Thailand is a daily and an ongoing acclimation to a culture and environment that is different than the one that I grew up in. I find myself asking " Do these people ever learn to take responsibility for the cause and effect of their actions and their decisions" I have observed the thinking “it's my karma,” suggesting that their destiny or fate is merely the luck or bad fortune of the draw. A lot of Thai's have told me that is the way life is in Thailand. If anything changes occur, it will be in the future generations because of the technology of communication is making the world a smaller place.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » March 7, 2018, 10:00 am

Look up the word narcissist in the dictionary and you will see a picture of a Thai :-) Goes for my wife as well.

I am the most important person on the road and everyone should yield to me.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » March 7, 2018, 2:06 pm

I learned a long time ago not to paint everybody with the same brush. I often remind myself. We need to remember who we are and where we are at. We Farangs especially in the U.S.need to look no further than our home country to observe livid road rage and carnage accompanied with shootings on the road. Thailand is mostly a Buddhist country with Buddhist believes and life styles. Most of us came here with a western mindset and thinking which is foreign to the Thai's. Most thai's that I have met and know personalty are hard working, polite and respectful people. I will always remember this guy. He dug 28 of these holes ( 1 Meter square and 1 meter deep ) for the footing for the posts of our house. The temperature was 100 Deg F. the day I took this picture. He was not very narcissistic to me.
[img][attachment=0]28 Holes for House footing.jpg[/attachment][/img]
Attachments
27 Holes for House footing.jpg
27 Holes for the house footing
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » March 7, 2018, 11:44 pm

pf-flyer wrote:
March 7, 2018, 2:06 pm
I learned a long time ago not to paint everybody with the same brush. I often remind myself. We need to remember who we are and where we are at. We Farangs especially in the U.S.need to look no further than our home country to observe livid road rage and carnage accompanied with shootings on the road. Thailand is mostly a Buddhist country with Buddhist believes and life styles. Most of us came here with a western mindset and thinking which is foreign to the Thai's. Most thai's that I have met and know personalty are hard working, polite and respectful people. I will always remember this guy. He dug 28 of these holes ( 1 Meter square and 1 meter deep ) for the footing for the posts of our house. The temperature was 100 Deg F. the day I took this picture. He was not very narcissistic to me.
The topic was road carnage, not hole carnage. I think we all like most Thai people otherwise we would not be in Thailand and married to Thai women. The fact is the driving by Thais defies belief, I have experienced personally near death experiences more than a few times by Thai drivers. I was riding my Harley with my wife south of Hua Hin one time and passing a slow moving truck. I had checked the passing lane before moving over to pass the truck and it was clear for as long as I could see back down behind me. I was halfway passing the truck and doing a little over the speed limit when a pickup passed us on the right side, he was half on the road shoulder and half on the road. As he passed us his truck hit my wifes foot,another inch or two closer we would have been knocked under the truck we were passing and killed. I was doing about 110 kph and the pickup was doing close to double that speed, he never even took his foot off the gas as he passed us and had we been killed would have been long gone and never caught. if this was a one off experience I could understand but it was not.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » March 8, 2018, 9:26 am

My wife and I have experienced similar dangerous situations ( Including being re-ended by a speeding truck while stopped at a red light ) also while driving here in Thailand. My wife and I will use the expression " There goes another idiot " My response was to make the point of not painting all Thai's with the same brush....... :)

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » March 8, 2018, 11:17 am

pf-flyer wrote:
March 8, 2018, 9:26 am
My wife and I have experienced similar dangerous situations ( Including being re-ended by a speeding truck while stopped at a red light ) also while driving here in Thailand. My wife and I will use the expression " There goes another idiot " My response was to make the point of not painting all Thai's with the same brush....... :)
You are right, we should never do that.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 8, 2018, 11:30 am

"My response was to make the point of not painting all Thai's with the same brush....... :)"

100% agree pf, however when it comes to driving and road using the vast majority of Thais seem to have been painted from the same palette regardless of which brush was used :-$

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 8, 2018, 11:48 am

I will use the expression " There goes another ONE That want's to meet Budda "EARLY.....

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 8, 2018, 12:04 pm

pf-flyer wrote:
I was rear-ended at a red light by a fast truck in Brisbane, Qld.

Truck driver wasn't Thai either.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 8, 2018, 12:08 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 8, 2018, 11:30 am
"My response was to make the point of not painting all Thai's with the same brush....... :)"

100% agree pf, however when it comes to driving and road using the vast majority of Thais seem to have been painted from the same palette regardless of which brush was used :-$
There's absolutely NO however, if or but about it.

You either accept that tarring them all with the same brush is wrong or you don't.

It's made easier when one discards any notion that ones own driving experience, extra skills and technique, although unarguably superior to that of the locals, holds absolutely no value at all while you share these roads with them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 8, 2018, 12:19 pm

tamada wrote:
March 8, 2018, 12:04 pm
pf-flyer wrote:
I was rear-ended at a red light by a fast truck in Brisbane, Qld.

Truck driver wasn't Thai either.
Must have been an Aussie truck driver who spent a lot of time in Thailand then ......... anyone seen Greg lately? :lol:

Bet he still did a runner over the paddy fields leaving his yabba in the cab though =;

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”