Jewlery Stores

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
RockyRoc
udonmap.com

Jewlery Stores

Post by RockyRoc » February 25, 2017, 4:26 am

I will be Udorn in May. I bought some great jewelry at very low prices (ie, 4 season silver bracelets, blackstar sapphire rings and adornments) when I was there in the early to mid 70's. I think it would be safe to assume that the prices for similar items have probably gone up since then. I paid for the silver bracelets around $20.00, and for black star stones with gold rings, bracelets, earings around $10 to $16 as I recall. Can anyone recommend any stores/shops that are reputable with good merchandise? Also, when I was there last one could haggle with the shop keepers on the pieces one was interested in, is this still the common practice after all these years? Some info and help on this will help. Also, if your wife or girlfriend has a favorite store or shop would be interested in that as well. Thanks in advance.

RockyRoc
udonmap.com

Re: Jewlery Stores

Post by RockyRoc » March 1, 2017, 5:40 am

Really, nobody can provide any recommendations?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 1, 2017, 6:37 am

40years from when you came, Udon has been transformed into a very large town which accommodates numerous gold shops and other jewelry outlets for many ,many brands.
Moist gold shops are Thai Chinese owned haggling may be available but doubtful, other outlets in big stores and malls normally have price displayed, as before haggling is hard if nigh on impossible.
You will see the difference when you come I am sure.

nickboyuk
udonmap.com

Post by nickboyuk » March 1, 2017, 8:15 am

There are so many especially gold shops. Udon is not the same as it was in the 70s!!!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 1, 2017, 8:58 am

Khun Paul wrote:Moist gold shops are Thai Chinese owned haggling may be available but doubtful
My experience with gold shops both here and in Bangkok is that it's strictly by weight. Fancy a particular necklace? They'll take it and drop it on the scale; and you pay based on the weight at whatever the shop's current rate is. I would imagine (but do not know) that different shops sell at different rates; but AFAICT, it's strictly by weight.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 1, 2017, 9:58 am

It is by weight & the buy & sell price is nearly always clearly listed outside the shop.
If it isn't then go to a different shop!!

They will, in my experience often offer small discounts, or 'round down' to the nearest thousand.
A ring that weighed in at 6,100 they offered me for 6,000 & a bracelet that was 10,150 they offered me for 10,000.
Of course, while gold prices are on the increase they are gaining extra from the price they paid.
The opposite is obviously true when prices fall so I would not be surprised if even little discounts are unlikely then..

RockyRoc
udonmap.com

Post by RockyRoc » March 1, 2017, 6:15 pm

Appreciate the responses, will be on the lookout for the info infront of the stores regarding price to wt. Also interesting that haggling isn't used, it made it kind of fun back then.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » March 2, 2017, 11:01 pm

Shops today are very strict. No mercy at all.
their scales are offset. if you buy a bracllet yesterday and sell tomarrow," they "wlll shave off a couple grans instantly, Don't believe me? Buy today, sell tomarrows. Tomarrow they will say the wear has dimishished and can give you 2-3 grams less of price.That just an example,
Like they say about new cars, buy it, drive it off the lot, you lost 20% of its value
I could have bought a new car every year my business was busting throught the roof, but i diidn't want the the 20% decrease driving it away
I have never owned a new caw car all my life and am thankful.

RockyRoc
udonmap.com

Post by RockyRoc » March 3, 2017, 6:25 pm

Felixcat, thanks for the input but do not intend to sell the gold. Looking for gifts for family members. I gave my sister several rings and a 4 season silver bracelet in 73/74, and when she heard I wuz coming back to Thailand she went nuts wanting all kinds of Thai jewelry. I also gave my niece two black star sapphire rings (her age at the time was about 1 year old), so my sister wore the rings until my niece was big enough for them (crazy). I'm looking for a jewler whose reputable and fair, looking for black star saphire jewelry and maybe another 4 season bracelet if the price is right.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 3, 2017, 8:12 pm

felixcat wrote: their scales are offset. if you buy a bracllet yesterday and sell tomarrow," they "wlll shave off a couple grans instantly, Don't believe me? Buy today, sell tomarrows. Tomarrow they will say the wear has dimishished and can give you 2-3 grams less of price.
Well, of course the price is different depending on whether you are buying or selling. If you ask, they'll tell you both prices, which, of course, are denominated by weight. That's how the gold shop makes a living. And the price will likely have changed overnight. The shop buys the gold for a little less than it sells it. And, no, it's the same scale. When you drop some gold on it, the scale doesn't know whether the shop is buying or selling.

Natas

Post by Natas » May 6, 2018, 7:32 am

Hello I have been on the hunt for bargain silver also here. My friend is looking also. We were at the Walking Street Market in Nong Khai yesterday. I saw one place.. But the prices were sky high.
So out came the phone and calculator.
-- Current Silver Price (1oz) USD $16.60 ask
-- Thai Baht (weight) 15.16.. lets round it up 15.50 Grams
Anyway even with a conservative quick guess at $10 USD per Thai Baht Weight.. Some of the Jewlery we saw (not large at all) was way overpriced by 300%..
Conclusion.. Still on the hunt.
I figure Silver is undervalued. Interesting article here https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... -right-now
Sorry it is not a Youtube video. Some people might have to use their brains.
If anyone in Udon sees a reputible Silver Shop please post it.. It is exciting doing treasure hunts here.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » May 7, 2018, 5:10 pm

Satan, if you wanted good silver you should have gone to Chiang Mai like 20 years ago. 22" silver chains with Dragon heads on both ends, about the thickness of your little finger were going for about 400-750tb. I bought a 3oz 99'6 gold bracelet for 750tb in BKK in 1998. Wore it for 5 years until it stretched out too much, then sold it to a Poker player for $1,500 who said it "made him feel lucky".
RockyRoc,my advice, find the stone you want and find someone to make it for you. Being in the dental field for 20 years, I had a bit of scrap dental gold laying around. My Iraqi (christian) friend in Phuket years ago told me of a shop that would make my wife & I wedding rings. I gave about 1 oz of scrap gold and the shop made us two gold bands, (and mine is very big and heavy,Big hands). He charged 1,100tb for each and gave me back the left over ,that I sold on EBAY for $575. Total Real Deal! I have 2 Queen Elizibeth 1 oz sealed coins, untouched that I will let go for $23 each (I paid $32 a few years ago to a German guy in ChianRai who needed money and the price was higher then) I don't want this Lady in with my other collections. Their was a guy in Nong Kai who sold some very nice Blue Star sapphires. I think I bought from all these people at the right times years ago and made a bit of change..but now, I suggest: Have it made!

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » May 8, 2018, 9:13 am

Sorry,correction...it wasn't Nong Kai. It was behind the Big Budda on the way to Nong Kai. Rather in amongst the small shops/ sellers to the left of Budda. We bought some hand made silver 3" Crosses (Yeah, crosses at a Budda shrine) and some very nice blue star sapphires.

Natas

Post by Natas » May 8, 2018, 9:41 am

Felixcat do you have ADHD or something?
That post was so all over the place. No wonder no one listens to your rambling nonsense.
If you are going to give advice give proper advice. Not "20 years ago blah blah"..
Other then that Shut the ---- up.

SeekingSakYant
udonmap.com

Post by SeekingSakYant » August 9, 2018, 6:22 pm

My wife and I got our 18k Platinum wedding bands made at a place in Central Mall. 33,000Baht total, mine was 21 and hers was 12, makes sense though because mine is so much thicker and larger than hers. But from all the friends and family back home everyone says thats an awesome price for 18k Platinum. What i am getting at is, if you want a yard sale price go to a yard sale lol, if you want quality go to a good shop, its still cheaper than in the west.
"To care for him who shall have borne the Battle, and for his Widow, and his Orphan." -A.Lincoln

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” -Mark Twain

Cambodia is the South East Asian equivalent of Alabama and Louisiana and their cousin humpin Mississippi states of Merica

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”