Lucky Number

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Lucky Number

Post by parrot » February 28, 2017, 2:22 pm

You'd think after 20 years I'd figure out Thai logic to playing the lottery.......but hardly a week goes by that I don't read another lottery scam story (fake lottery tickets) or a story about finding 'this week's lottery number' on the back of a turtle or on the trunk of a tree or on the license plate of some accident victim or new car owner.
Kham Chanot, in Ban Dung, has recently seen a large increase in mostly Thai tourists who flock there to uncover the next lucky number. And when you have several thousand people all trying their hand at finding that number, it's almost a certainty that someone will. Of course, the winner will credit his number pick to the power of Kham Chanot!
Even if you don't play the lottery, I think there's value in understanding what goes through a good number of Thai minds twice each month, lottery pick days. It's part of the wiring schematic that makes Thai brains so difficult to figure out......in my case a 110v brain married to a 220v brain. Thankfully, in my case, my wife doesn't play the lottery.

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/869491

kakariki
udonmap.com

Re: Lucky Number

Post by kakariki » March 3, 2017, 2:54 am

The wife and I don't play either, mainly because I've never been able to work out how it's played.
Is there an explanation in English somewhere that explains it?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 3, 2017, 8:33 am

The Thai National lottery draw takes place twice a month.
Once on the 1st. & once on the 16th.
You enter by buying a ticket with a 6 digit number. The official price for a ticket is 80 baht, but for that you get two tickets with the same number, I understand in the times before the current Government it was possible to buy a single ticket for 40 baht, but that is now illegal. If you buy from a shop then you should pay 80 baht. However there are 'mobile' ticket sellers (you can tell them by the distinctive wooden case in which they carry/display their tickets). The price from them is 100 baht, although it could be more if they have a special lucky ticket.

The top prize for getting all 6 numbers correct is 3 million baht. You should then get 2 * 3 million, so 6 million baht. There are then 5 further second place prizes of 100,000 baht, 10 of 40,000 baht, 50 of 20,000 baht, 100 of 10,000 baht.
But there is also an additional 2 digit & 3 digit draw. Here you just have to match the last 2/3 digits of your ticket number to the numbers drawn. The prize for getting 2 digits correct is 1,000 baht. I am uncertain what the prize is for getting 3 numbers correct, but believe it is 3,000 baht.

I understand that the prizes will only be paid out on presentation of the ticket & the winners' Thai National ID card!!!

That is the official lottery.

However, out in the sticks (& in Town as well, I guess :D ) many people play the 'black' lottery.
To enter this you go to 'an agent' & tell them what 2/3 numbers you wish to bet on & how much you wish to bet.
The winning numbers are the 2/3 digit winning numbers as drawn in the National Lottery. The winning prize is 'fixed odds' so you get x (the fixed odds offered) * the amount of baht you have bet.
I am not sure what odds you get, but I understand that they are pretty long & well worth winning even on a 20 baht bet.

The above lottery is completely illegal however!!!!!
Gambling is illegal in Thailand except for participating in the National Lottery.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 3, 2017, 6:13 pm

Wife had been wanting to go to Kham Chanot again, so today I took the immediate family. Wife assured me nothing to do with the lottery ....... :-k . What a very popular place this has become, because of a film, celebrity visits and many big lottery winners? I understand people are coming from all over the country. Another 1st prize winner the other day, who claimed she 'found' the number there. I'm unsure that this is how true Buddhists should be behaving - trying to ensure good luck and getting rich. And what a business opportunity for many. The permanent market there appears to have swollen and amazingly, even kilometers away from the place itself, there are dozens of roadside stalls selling garlands, naga-type 'statues' made of flowers/leaves of different sizes - and prices. Oh, apparently, the venue has now forbidden anyone from using talc to look for lucky numbers on trees!
But wait for it. My wife and niece took photos of the 'lucky' pool at exactly the same moment. On my wife's 'phone there's a clear, white image of a snake in the water - nothing on my niece's 'phone. Just what sceptic me would welcome. as much as a kick in the wotsits! :lol: Wife has already been at her book of events and associated numbers. Grateful she's not on Facebook. :roll:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 3, 2017, 7:47 pm

Our gardener won the 2 digit underground pick a few days ago. He thanked us. Why? He choose our house number.....after a swarm of bees started setting up a hive on one of our fruit trees. A sign of good luck. Apparently so.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 4, 2017, 8:42 am

Udon News puts up the Lottery numbers every two weeks. Back in Taksin's time there was a government push to stamp out the underground lottery and replace the current lottery with one where folks could by their tickets in any convenience store just like the States.. The contracts had already been let on the machines. There was massive pushback from the current legal lottery ticket sellers as well as certainly backroom pushback by those running and making big money off the underground lottery..

the only other legal gambling in Thailand is the horse races..
Dave

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 4, 2017, 8:57 am

It is also legal to play cards for money at the house of someone who dies for three days. Something to do with keeping the spirit happy.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 4, 2017, 11:02 am

You can download an App to get full results. You just type in your number and any winnings shown.
App is "Thailand national lottery"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 4, 2017, 11:10 am

Thanks for that Barney, I usually have to trawl through Google to find the results as most of the sites it gives you if you ask for Thai National Lottery Results are actually prediction sites rather than result sites.. Phone now sorted!!

It also gives me the opportunity to say that the payout in the official lottery for getting 3 numbers correct is actually 2,000 baht - so 2*2,000 = 4,000 if you have bought a normal ticket..

Sonera

Post by Sonera » March 5, 2017, 7:20 pm

official lottery site is : The Government Lottery Office
There you can get the results and the rules :)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Brian Davis wrote:Wife had been wanting to go to Kham Chanot again, so today I took the immediate family. Wife assured me nothing to do with the lottery ....... :-k . What a very popular place this has become, because of a film, celebrity visits and many big lottery winners? I understand people are coming from all over the country. Another 1st prize winner the other day, who claimed she 'found' the number there. I'm unsure that this is how true Buddhists should be behaving - trying to ensure good luck and getting rich. And what a business opportunity for many. The permanent market there appears to have swollen and amazingly, even kilometers away from the place itself, there are dozens of roadside stalls selling garlands, naga-type 'statues' made of flowers/leaves of different sizes - and prices. Oh, apparently, the venue has now forbidden anyone from using talc to look for lucky numbers on trees!
But wait for it. My wife and niece took photos of the 'lucky' pool at exactly the same moment. On my wife's 'phone there's a clear, white image of a snake in the water - nothing on my niece's 'phone. Just what sceptic me would welcome. as much as a kick in the wotsits! :lol: Wife has already been at her book of events and associated numbers. Grateful she's not on Facebook. :roll:
I'd guess that if a few 10,000 people visited Kham Chanot, it'd be more likely that one would win than just the common joe living next door to you. And, as you say, the place has become very popular.....several articles in the Thai press about the abundance of visitors and resulting traffic headaches and littering. Well, for those who might live in the area, it's time to open a resort or a grilled chicken stand......because yesterday's lottery saw two big winners......one from Khonkaen for 12 million Baht and one from Udon for 6 million. Both chalked up their winnings to a recent visit to Kham Chanot.
http://www.thairath.co.th/content/887291
http://www.thairath.co.th/content/887247

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » March 18, 2017, 5:08 pm

My father bought lotterys tickets "religiously" for 30 years. Ne never made more than he spent. In fact, probably spent more.Those of us who didn't believe in supstitions, didn't play the lottery, always had more money than most. Lotteries are geared to put hopes and dreams in the minds of those who should "least" but a lottery ticket. they are false hopes, most are corrupted, and the poor who should not be buying them, usually spend their rent, car payment, food money, electixcity money on that "one "cahance" that maybe they will be the next person to come outof poverty and enter the world of the wealthy. Unfortunately, they are not prepared, educated, in any way to recieve such a lump of money. The US used to have a show on about former lottery winners who destroyed their and their family lives. Almost everyone who won millions, said, it destroyed their lifa and family, put them in and out of jails.
My personal opinion,, if you were to win, get the fell out of town, during the middle of the night. Try to hire a armed guard for your family and buy gold, silver, bitcoin, a comforatble home and change your phone number. Why gold & silver, bitcoin? When the "paper" gets devalued, so will you lottery winnings.
Don't "Flash" or you will crash. I made alot of fiats, never bought a new car, only 1 new house, and most other things were 2nd hand. Money changers people, if you love your friends, don't flaunt what you got.
As far as getting "numbers" from a tree?? or some crazy things like that. All I will say is "I got a bridge I could sell you"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 14, 2017, 2:45 pm

According to the Thairath article linked below, 20,000 or so folks are visiting Kam Chanote in Bandung each day......most all seeking the predictions for the next lottery number.
While reading the article, I was humming "Teach Your Children".......one of Crosby, Stills, and Nash's golden oldies from 47 years ago. The article reinforces my thinking that the DNA is set in stone, long before a Thai girl might marry a foreigner.
https://www.thairath.co.th/content/972443

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 15, 2017, 1:23 pm

Serious money flowing into the local economy then.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 26, 2017, 3:08 pm

Gaggles of tourists again visited Kham Chanote over the weekend, most gearing up for another lottery draw at the beginning of the month. Where better to find your lucky number than on the roots of a tree?
At the same time as thousands queued to enter the island, a husband and wife team brought over 100,000 eggs and bunches of fruit to pay homage to the spirit inhabiting the island. After the ceremonial offering was made, the husband and wife began handing out 10 eggs to each tourist at the island. When it became apparent that too much time would be spent doing so, they passed out a 60 eggs at a crack to each tourist (one panel).
How times have changed for sleepy Ban Dung!!
http://www.tnews.co.th/contents/330927

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » June 26, 2017, 3:54 pm

parrot wrote:
June 26, 2017, 3:08 pm
Gaggles of tourists again visited Kham Chanote over the weekend, most gearing up for another lottery draw at the beginning of the month. Where better to find your lucky number than on the roots of a tree?
At the same time as thousands queued to enter the island, a husband and wife team brought over 100,000 eggs and bunches of fruit to pay homage to the spirit inhabiting the island. After the ceremonial offering was made, the husband and wife began handing out 10 eggs to each tourist at the island. When it became apparent that too much time would be spent doing so, they passed out a 60 eggs at a crack to each tourist (one panel).
How times have changed for sleepy Ban Dung!!
http://www.tnews.co.th/contents/330927
They would have been better off making a rather large omelette and trying to define the lucky number from that.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 29, 2017, 1:42 pm

Went the Melon Farm yesterday and we had a laugh and said " lets go to the Lucky temple "

Feeling lucky, we took the short cut road as you travel up the Baan Dung road, and turn right. WRONG

Its now in some sections reduced to 10 kph , as its full of potholes, washouts , took an extra hour ( 60 minutes ) maybe thats lucky ??

On the way, observed literally 100's of places all selling various lucky gifts.

Arrived and it was pissing down big time.

Found a car park and paid 30 baht ( lucky 30 ? ) then paid 40 baht each for some small offering for the temple ( 40 is lucky ? )

I didnt go in, as it was well under way with flooding water, but it didnt stop 100's there.

Unlucky as all those got very muddy feet and jeans etc, but lucky for those who sold water @ 10 baht

Finally Gf and her friend exited and felt lucky and wanted some lottery tickets, so I said, please buy from the sellers with the physical disabilities , further down the line from all the others. Why , i was asked, I replied , coz its lucky for them LOL

Went back to Nong Han for a lovely Thai BBQ, where you pay by the KG for the meat and vegetables ( 230 )

All up the day cost 600 at Melon farm, 200 Fuel, 160 lottery tickets, 80 for temple gift, 30 for car park and 530 for dinner.

Square root of that , divided by the car model number, add 5 for the tyres, arrived home at 2100 hrs, so subtracted 21. Dont think im going to win anyway

I felt i was privileged and got away with 1600 all up. Lucky me 555555555

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » June 29, 2017, 3:33 pm

Is there a correlation between the richness of the temple and the state of its surrounding roads? I have been to some temples which were up some God (can I say that ) awful roads. With toilets to match. Yet all sorts of riches await inside the temple.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 2, 2018, 4:01 pm

The latest lucky Kham Chanot visitor to win the lottery is an Udon lady who claimed the 48 million Baht prize. I don't keep track of such things, but I'd guess there's been a half dozen, maybe a dozen, Kham Chaot visitors in the past year or two who have won first prize. And no doubt, many more thousands of people will visit the spooked island in hopes of finding that elusive winning number.
https://udon-today.com/2018/06/01/610601-4/

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 2, 2018, 5:16 pm

unbeknown to us we had large snake living in the house for about a week, to ten days, before the missus ran into it..some little man with a pole and noose caught it, and off they went. Missus came back, and is a spiritual one when it comes to ghosts and snakes..' people say it is a lucky snake that one, that it come in our house, and say I take lotto number same of our house number and I be lucky..for days thats all I heard as lotto day neared. I will get lotto ticket our house today and win 6 million baht..ok ok..I get a phonecall from her mid morning. we win the lotto..it have our house number, but I forget to buy ticket..why I forget...later it was ; you loose because you killed the lucky snake, if left alive you would win.....bless her quest to win something in life

Return to “Society and culture”