Group A: Uruguay, Russia
Group B: Spain, Iran
Group C: France, Denmark
Group D: Croatia, Iceland
Group E: Switzerland, Brazil
Group F: Germany, Sweden
Group G: England, Belgium
Group H: Poland, Japan

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

goodison
udonmap.com

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Post by goodison » June 15, 2018, 6:09 am

True Visions (TrueSportHD3) #668.are showing all things World Cup including live games with English commentary.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 15, 2018, 6:34 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 14, 2018, 7:04 pm
Is Peter Smeichel's (sp) son playing in goal for Denmark? If so, the Danes might have a chance to advance if he plays as well as his father.
Yes he is but the Danes lack a decent striker to make much of an impact imo.

Last night Russia 5 Saudi Arabia 0
The Ruskies were impressive but the Saudis played like theyd been exposed to a toxic nerve agent !
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 15, 2018, 9:03 am

The Iranian kids at school were thrilled that the Saudis were thrashed. They have me cheering for Iran to win their group.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 15, 2018, 9:19 am

Zidane wrote:
June 15, 2018, 6:34 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 14, 2018, 7:04 pm
Is Peter Smeichel's (sp) son playing in goal for Denmark? If so, the Danes might have a chance to advance if he plays as well as his father.
Yes he is but the Danes lack a decent striker to make much of an impact imo.

Last night Russia 5 Saudi Arabia 0
The Ruskies were impressive but the Saudis played like theyd been exposed to a toxic nerve agent !
Not nerve gas but 29 days of Ramadan fasting probably didn't help their cause.
Any way here in Dubai the Shawwal moon-sighting committee in the UAE had the telescope out last nightand found the moon so the Saudis and any Islamic footy players can now rip into a good lunch time buffet.
Eid Mubarak.

Go the socceroos.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2018, 9:29 am

So it looks like Salah will be risked against Uruguay [-X

Even if Luis Suarez doesnt take a bite out of him, he can expect more than a few "Shoulder to shoulder" challenges from Godin & Co ............ if the arm (and his confidence) is anything less than 100%, it would surely make sense to leave him on the bench for this one and have him available for the two games that will matter to Egypt :-k

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 15, 2018, 11:37 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 14, 2018, 8:48 pm
Prediction Time:-

Statts............................................Mat.
Group A 1st Uruguay 2nd Russia............ditto.
Group B 1st Portugal 2nd Spain.............Spain; Portugal.
Group C 1st Peru 2nd Denmark.............France; AUSTRALIA!
Group D 1st Argies 2nd Croatia.............Argentina; Nigeria.
Group E 1st Brazil 2nd Serbia..............Brazil; Serbia.
Group F 1st Germany 2nd Mexico..........Germany; Sth. Korea.
Group G 1st England 2nd Belgium..........Belgian; England.
Group H 1st Columbia 2nd Senegal.........Colombia; Japan.
I note both Statts & Zid have refused to take up my, oft repeated, challenge to post the formation and personnel THEY , (NOT Southgate), would choose for the opening game against Tunisia. Of course, that does leave the door open to be critical, or wise, after the event! :-" [-X
So, seems I am the only one prepared to risk 'the slings & arrows....' by placing before you, my pearls of footballing wisdom! :lol:
One disclaimer I wish to make is that I have been restricted in my selection by the fact that Southgate has demonstrated, by both his actions and words, the bastion of the England teams performance, will be built around a back three formation. Were that position otherwise, my choices, both as to formation and personnel, would have been somewhat different.
From the outset, I omitted Young; Cahill; Alli; Henderson; Sterlings & Welbeck, as candidates for inclusion in the starting eleven. The short explanation for my decision, in each case, is that I considered there were available challengers in the squad, whose 'time had arrived' to be given an opportunity over older players on the wane; others who possessed greater footballing skills than those omitted and others that could be relied upon to commit 100% , both physically and mentally, to the team; and even some among those I have selected who could be said to fulfill all these criteria.
My decisions to omit Jones; Trent-Arnold; Dier & Loftus-Cheek, were not made easily; but the last three named have their whole careers before them, and may yet get the opportunity to prove me wrong during this current World Cup.
MY Selection. Formation will comprise Goalkeeper; Back Three; A midfield of three, flanked on each side by wing backs and, up front two strikers, working in harness and supporting each other.
A GoalKeeper: Trippier, Stones & Maguire; Walker, Lingard, Delph, Rashford, Rose; Vardy & Kane.
The Bench:To include a Goalkeeper, Cahill, Dier, Loftus-Cheek, Sterling,Alli & Trent-Arnold.
Of course, Southgate's selection will bear not the remotest resemblance to mine, but I bet I have had more fun doing this than has he; plus I don't have the need or responsibility to be right! :D :D \:D/ \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2018, 12:01 pm

I thought that it was blatantly obvious why neither zid or I have "taken you up on your oft repeated challenge"

Neither zid or I would have half of them there in the first place, so to then select them into a team would be a complete waste of time and effort.

BTW I hope the rumour that Gareth (in the wake of the tattoo incident) has told little Raheem to be careful and make sure he doesnt shoot, is not true :-"

The comments about Rashford being injured are completely untrue. He got the 'ump when Gareth told him that any goals he scored will be credited to Harry Kane in his attempt to get the Golden Boot award =;

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 15, 2018, 12:10 pm

wc.png
wc.png (14.37 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
The early game certainly deserves a watch..
Not so sure about the earlier Group B game & the late one will have to wait for the morning.. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2018, 12:18 pm

Thought the fixtures were designed with Udons finest in mind Bob ........ watch early game in bar, pay no attention whatsoever to middle game and then watch last game when you get home (could have done with it starting an hour or so later, but will probably get back for second half)

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 15, 2018, 12:52 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 15, 2018, 12:01 pm
I thought that it was blatantly obvious why neither zid or I have "taken you up on your oft repeated challenge"
Neither zid or I would have half of them there in the first place, so to then select them into a team would be a complete waste of time and effort.
BTW I hope the rumour that Gareth (in the wake of the tattoo incident) has told little Raheem to be careful and make sure he doesnt shoot, is not true :-"
The comments about Rashford being injured are completely untrue. He got the 'ump when Gareth told him that any goals he scored will be credited to Harry Kane in his attempt to get the Golden Boot award =;
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Yes, you are both indeed guilty of a "Double Cop Out@
I challenged you to state the players YOU, repeat YOU would select in the squad. This you determinedly avoided doing, thus SURPRISE, SURPRISE, enabling you to criticise Southgate's selections with impunity. In other words, place yourself in a win, win situation!
Your excuse for avoiding the squad selection challenge , is embarrassing, to say the least. Because of your first 'cop out', we will never know which 'half'of the selected squad you would not have chosen, or the identity of the players you would have improved the squad, by selecting in their place.
Your excuse for avoiding selecting what you consider the best team from a mere 23 players is even less convincing. Interesting you consider the squad to be so poor in quality as for it to be a waste of your time and effort to select them into a team. YET YOU CONTRADICT YOURSELF BIG TIME BY TIPPING ENGLAND TO HEAD GROUP G ABOVE BELGIUM, THE BOOKMAKERS FOURTH FAVOURITES TO LIFT THE TROPHY. :-s :-k
But never you mind my friend, just continue to sit on the fence, throughout the tournament; that way you cannot fail to to be right, by default, in selecting the winner! :D :lol: \:D/ \:D/
PS. You will note Sterling is not in my starting eleven. He lacks ball control, also football vision, is inclined to go for personal glory, and squanders far too many goal scoring opportunities; apart from that, he definitely has potential! :-"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2018, 2:14 pm

As it 'appens Mat, the reason for tipping Engerlund to win the group is quite simple. By the time they get to play each other they will .....SHOULD both have six points and so be in a position to play their "squad players". The difference between Belgiums 1st X1 and their squad players is far greater than that of Engerlunds (bearing in mind most of the 1st X1 are no better than the average squad player) so there is a reasonable chance that an Engerlund X1 can beat what is basically Belgium Reserves :-k

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 15, 2018, 2:26 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
June 14, 2018, 3:19 pm
GT93 wrote:
June 14, 2018, 1:27 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
June 14, 2018, 11:42 am
Oh damn. We haven't finished the analysis of the previous season. British summer time? I hope Giggle can handle that.
Then obviously you should restrict your literary 'gems' :-s :roll: to the current EPL thread!
I am sure the REAL WC fans will be hoping your post is not the prelude to you and your mob spoiling serious & interesting discussion of the WORLD CUP for us by now selfishly taking over and disrupting this thread . ](*,) ](*,) :fryingpan:
No, I'm here. We'll all have a different perspective on "interesting". It's an international game and tournament.

Do any of you guys bet on the games? I have a few small bets.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2018, 2:42 pm

I'm sure that the Udon Expats are all law abiding members of the community and as such would not dream of doing such a thing as gambling in Thailand

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 15, 2018, 2:43 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 15, 2018, 2:14 pm
As it 'appens Mat, the reason for tipping Engerlund to win the group is quite simple. By the time they get to play each other they will .....SHOULD both have six points and so be in a position to play their "squad players". The difference between Belgiums 1st X1 and their squad players is far greater than that of Engerlunds (bearing in mind most of the 1st X1 are no better than the average squad player) so there is a reasonable chance that an Engerlund X1 can beat what is basically Belgium Reserves :-k
Simple! :? eerrrh, yes!; I think I know what you are saying; notwithstanding that, upon analysis, your reasoning defies logic. :-s :-k :? [-o< ](*,) .
Are you sure you were not a lawyer/solicitor by profession, Statts? =; You could talk your way out of Alcatraz; no problem. =D>

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 15, 2018, 2:44 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 15, 2018, 2:42 pm
I'm sure that the Udon Expats are all law abiding members of the community and as such would not dream of doing such a thing as gambling in Thailand
555 I'm in the free world.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2018, 4:42 pm

Really looking forward to the "48 team" World Cups of the future .........

Just think we'll have the chance to get up in the middle of the night to watch at least 16 teams worse than Saudi Arabia ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 15, 2018, 4:45 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 15, 2018, 2:44 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
June 15, 2018, 2:42 pm
555 I'm in the free world.
When did they release you ?...... did you get time off for good behaviour?

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » June 15, 2018, 4:48 pm

I've got Denmark & Peru in the sweepstake. Whoever's team progresses the furthered gets 100quid or B4300 as I'll be in Udonvegas :D
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 15, 2018, 5:17 pm

I'm more like Lord Lucan statts - I've never been caught.

I recall reading Lucan was quite a gambler. He's probably put his third world house on the outcome of this tournament and will probably be in the stands in Moscow. He's probably long ceased supporting England. I'd be wary of any older pom cheering Morocco, Tunisia or Peru.

Return to “World Sports”