freedom to marry

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
Post Reply
timmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 505
Joined: June 27, 2014, 11:03 am

freedom to marry

Post by timmy » June 22, 2018, 10:11 am

I have a mate coming over from u.k to marry his GF of about 7 years they are both in there 50s , he,s never been married before , will he need some sort of document from the u.k to say he,s a free man or from the British embassy in bkk once he gets here ? I remember years ago when I married my Thai wife I had to get some paper to prove my divorce was final . I got it from the embassy . any help any body ?

skinner
udonmap.com
Posts: 400
Joined: June 17, 2015, 1:57 pm
Location: Nong bua lamphu

Re: freedom to marry

Post by skinner » June 22, 2018, 10:15 am

Pretty sure the British embassy website will have all the information.

User avatar
BobHelm
udonmap.com
Posts: 18423
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: freedom to marry

Post by BobHelm » June 22, 2018, 10:19 am

Bit of both I think Timmy & a translation & trip to the Thai ministry..

Here is the information from the Embassy..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-an ... tal-status

plus

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

Here is the non British Embassy stuff..

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law ... -thailand/

timmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 505
Joined: June 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Re: freedom to marry

Post by timmy » June 22, 2018, 10:51 am

BobHelm wrote:
June 22, 2018, 10:19 am
Bit of both I think Timmy & a translation & trip to the Thai ministry..

Here is the information from the Embassy..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-an ... tal-status

plus

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

Here is the non British Embassy stuff..

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law ... -thailand/
cheers Bob .

User avatar
semperfiguy
udonmap.com
Posts: 1725
Joined: July 16, 2010, 12:49 pm
Location: Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: freedom to marry

Post by semperfiguy » June 23, 2018, 9:20 am

On the Freedom to Marry Affidavit issued by the US Embassy, one of the bullet points is a multiple choice answer...I am single, divorced, widowed. If he checks single then no other proof should be necessary. He is attesting to that fact in front of an embassy staff member and could be subject to perjury should he willfully lie. That's all that is required.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". - George Orwell

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 752
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: freedom to marry

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 23, 2018, 9:24 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
June 23, 2018, 9:20 am
On the Freedom to Marry Affidavit issued by the US Embassy, one of the bullet points is a multiple choice answer...I am single, divorced, widowed. If he checks single then no other proof should be necessary. He is attesting to that fact in front of an embassy staff member and could be subject to perjury should he willfully lie. That's all that is required.
As he is coming from the UK the requirements of the US Embassy and it's process is not relevant.

As an example the British AFFIRMATION OF MARITAL STATUS requirements include two referees who are UK citizens resident in the UK.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
semperfiguy
udonmap.com
Posts: 1725
Joined: July 16, 2010, 12:49 pm
Location: Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: freedom to marry

Post by semperfiguy » June 24, 2018, 10:36 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 23, 2018, 9:24 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
June 23, 2018, 9:20 am
On the Freedom to Marry Affidavit issued by the US Embassy, one of the bullet points is a multiple choice answer...I am single, divorced, widowed. If he checks single then no other proof should be necessary. He is attesting to that fact in front of an embassy staff member and could be subject to perjury should he willfully lie. That's all that is required.
As he is coming from the UK the requirements of the US Embassy and it's process is not relevant.

As an example the British AFFIRMATION OF MARITAL STATUS requirements include two referees who are UK citizens resident in the UK.
I suppose I should have worded my last sentence a bit differently. What I meant to infer by "that's all that is required" is that by checking SINGLE on the one bullet point, there would be no other requirement to establish that there is or has never been a marriage relationship in the applicant's history. There are also other bullet point as you have mentioned such as the requirement to include two character references from the applicant's home country. Since this form is a requirement of the Thai government and not individual embassies, it's my guess that the template for all embassies is the same. However, I could be wrong, and if I am I'm sure you will be happy to let all of us know. Some people just have to be right at the expense of pissing other people off.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". - George Orwell

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 752
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: freedom to marry

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 24, 2018, 11:03 am

semperfiguy wrote:
June 24, 2018, 10:36 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 23, 2018, 9:24 pm
As he is coming from the UK the requirements of the US Embassy and it's process is not relevant.
Since this form is a requirement of the Thai government and not individual embassies, it's my guess that the template for all embassies is the same.
As I said above the process is not relevant.

It is definitely not the same in the case of the British embassy. There are 3 different templates depending on the status of the person making the Affirmation.

The US is just one of many countries (though some people like to think differently) it is quite likely that each country is somewhat different. A Generalisation based on a sample of 1 is quite likely to be wrong.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com
Posts: 79
Joined: April 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Re: freedom to marry

Post by Old Grumpy » June 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

Well for a start the american one is simply a sworn affadavit no proof of actual status is required,whereas the Uk embassy requires written verifiable proof of your status. Big difference .

Post Reply

Return to “Thailand Law”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest