I give in! Where can I feed TW -------

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

I give in! Where can I feed TW -------

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 7, 2018, 6:13 pm

As a few of you know I have lived in the Udon province since 2001. In days gone by it was a real pleasure to go into Udon to stay overnight, have a beer (whilst the missus is out shopping) and decent meal. NOT so now! Steve's gone - Mojo's gone - Aussie & Koala Bar (Justin) gone - Richmond Steak house gone (was near the railway station 15 years ago) etc. etc.
IMHO - Places like Fuzzy Kens are so so, last time in there I had to near on beg for another beer = staff??

I usually stay at the Pannari Hotel and at one time the Irish Clock was my favored eating place but after a number of new owners/managers it's gone down hill BADLY!!

QUESTION:-
Going for a couple of nights this week.

Can anyone suggest places to eat within the CBD who cater for both Farang and Thai? (all I want is a thick 'rare' tender rump steak (NOT effin Thai French!)

Thank you in advance!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: I give in! Where can I feed TW -------

Post by vincemunday » July 7, 2018, 6:53 pm

To be honest we nearly always go to Steve’s T Bar, he used to own the Irish Clock and I’d say in our experience it’s the best place to get both Western and Thai, problem is it’s a short taxi ride out of town but IMO it’s worth it. What I would say is stay well away from Santa Fe and Sizzler in the Plaza, I’ve never had a good steak in either but perhaps you’ll strike lucky?
"I don't risk my life for the sake of my children, I risk it for the sake of everyone's children" Stephen Yaxley-Lennon aka Tommy Robison - Free speech activist 2017

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 7, 2018, 6:58 pm

Steve's T-Bar is definitely a good place for western and Thai food. I can't speak for his steaks, but I'd guess they're like most all his food......good tasting and reasonably priced.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » July 7, 2018, 7:59 pm

We had a cracking steak dinner at Papafarangs. It’s a bit out of town but we’d certainly eat them again.
The drawback is I don’t think he caters for Thai food although I believe he’s happy for it to be brought in. Mrs N loved the steak so it doesn’t matter to us
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Hunter58
udonmap.com

Post by Hunter58 » July 7, 2018, 8:39 pm

By far the best place for western food near the Pannerai is the Brick House , just across the road from the hotel.
I was not impressed with my steak there but nice burgers and other Western options. I see others have recommended the steaks (Oz beef I seem to recall).

Otherwise Chefs Table do an excellent Thai steak. Not the usual chew fest. Easy walk from hotel and excellent restaurant.

The Tap Cape Grimm steak is excellent , just long way from hotel.

Today Tops charging THB 2,450 for 1kg Oz ribeye.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 12, 2018, 7:52 am

On recommendation from a local bar manager we tried the Brick House. Very happy with it - I'd say 7/10 - An excellent rare Rib Eye Steak and Mixed Salad, included a very healthy portion of black olives :). Lost a few points over the "mashed potato" = how do you like it? one lump or two!
Although they had, what looked to be, a reasonable Thai menu TW settled on steak as well. Liked it so much she insisted we go back there on night two! This time I tried the German Sausage selection. 3 out of the 4 were very good, don't know what it was but the 4th didn't do anything for my taste buds.

Bin for night #1 was near 1400 Baht. That included a large class of Draft beer for TW = 240 Baht.
Bin for night #2 about 1150 Baht.

BTW:
The Irish Clock was deserted both nights. In fact we walked past it at about 09:00 PM Tues night and it appeared to be closed?

Thank you all for your input.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”