no wifi

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
timmy
udonmap.com

no wifi

Post by timmy » July 16, 2018, 3:57 pm

the house WIFI ( true ) is working if the computer is plugged in using the internet cable , but the WIFI to our mobiles has stopped and the other laptops, tried phoning true but no answer at there bkk office just put on hold …. has anybody else had this problem BTW we,ve not moved or touched the router .. thanks

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: no wifi

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 16, 2018, 4:17 pm

timmy wrote:
July 16, 2018, 3:57 pm
the house WIFI ( true ) is working if the computer is plugged in using the internet cable , but the WIFI to our mobiles has stopped and the other laptops, tried phoning true but no answer at there bkk office just put on hold …. has anybody else had this problem BTW we,ve not moved or touched the router .. thanks
You have left out a few important facts,

Are the other laptops able to connect via wifi if your computer is plugged in using the Ethernet cable?
Are the mobiles able to connect to wifi if your computer is plugged in using the Ethernet cable?

Have you tried powering down your router for 5 minutes and restarting it.

Is your computer acting as a wifi base station?

You say "the house WIFI ( true ) is working if the computer is plugged in using the internet cable"
What do you mean? The computer can connect, of course it can because it's using an Ethernet connection.
Every other device can? What is the SSID(name if the wifi network) they are connected to.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 16, 2018, 4:23 pm

Sounds like router problem,try reboot(unplug power for a minute) .3 days ago I upgraded to 50mb with true,I was getting 32mb+ but now only 5mb....should of know don't fix something that ain't broke.or maybe I paid for a downgrade,lol

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 16, 2018, 5:16 pm

Thanks for answering , I,ll have a go at your questions , i,ve just googled what a Ethenet cable is . the only computer working is the 1 i,m using with the cable , NO other devices will connect via wifi .

yes tried turning the router off for 15 mins .

no i don't think my laptop is the base station , we have a black box with 2 short fat aerials and 5 or 6 green flashing lights .

when i said house wifi ( true ) i meant that the company we buy our internet from is called TRUE . my laptop is only a meter away from the router so i,ve always used the free cable that came with the router when they set it up about 3 years ago . our SSID is,nt showing on any other of our devices .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: no wifi connection

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 16, 2018, 6:08 pm

timmy wrote:
July 16, 2018, 5:16 pm
Thanks for answering , I,ll have a go at your questions , i,ve just googled what a Ethenet cable is . the only computer working is the 1 i,m using with the cable , NO other devices will connect via wifi .

yes tried turning the router off for 15 mins .

no i don't think my laptop is the base station , we have a black box with 2 short fat aerials and 5 or 6 green flashing lights .

when i said house wifi ( true ) i meant that the company we buy our internet from is called TRUE . my laptop is only a meter away from the router so i,ve always used the free cable that came with the router when they set it up about 3 years ago . our SSID is,nt showing on any other of our devices .
With that information I probably don't need any more. And you really need to understand that your house wifi is not working at all. And that computer is NOT connecting via wifi.

You have an internet connection, otherwise your computer would not be able to connect.
The wifi in the True box is the problem.
There is a reset button on the true box, if you know the SSID, default user name and password (often on a sticker on the underside of the box) then reset the true box. If you don't know those then you will need to be online with true tech support before resetting the box.

Personally I have the box supplied and another router so if 1 has a problem it probably makes no difference to me.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 17, 2018, 6:49 am

thanks for the help Woodworker, but strangely enough I plugged my router back into the mains this morning ( I unplug all my electrical devices , apart from the fridges at night after all TIT ) and the wifi on everything is fine , it must be that turning the router off with the button on the side of it does,nt cut the electric off totally , but I know now for the future , cheers again .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 17, 2018, 8:15 am

timmy wrote:
July 17, 2018, 6:49 am
thanks for the help Woodworker, but strangely enough I plugged my router back into the mains this morning ( I unplug all my electrical devices , apart from the fridges at night after all TIT ) and the wifi on everything is fine , it must be that turning the router off with the button on the side of it does,nt cut the electric off totally , but I know now for the future , cheers again .
I had assumed that when you said you had turned the router off you had disconnected it from the mains, many switches on electronic appliances don't cut the power off they just go into a low power mode, this is less stressful.

Personally I leave the router and my Philips Hue hub and usually the computer (not the monitor) that is checking my email plugged into a UPS all the time.

The router is designed to be left plugged in 24/7/365 and continuously unplugging it is much more stressful than leaving it on all the time. After all it belongs to True and will be replaced by them if it breaks down.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 17, 2018, 10:49 am

timmy wrote:
That 'button on the side' may not be a power button but a wi-fi disabling button? Usually power buttons are on the back.

My new 3bb fiber optic router has such a button on the side but the 3bb firmware bypasses it. Bit of a bugger as I would have preferred a one-stop Wi-Fi OFF button when I have to punish this house full of recalcitrant juvenile (and adult) delinquents for not doing their homework or dissing the farang.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 17, 2018, 2:45 pm

timmy wrote:
Try using ups boxes.uninterupted power supply.they stop any dodgy power supply from the mains and protect anything plugged into them.great for when the powers down as have a small battery back up and keep the router running.green coloured ones on lazada for 990b each.you can damage electrical by keep unplugging and plugging back in.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
July 17, 2018, 2:45 pm
timmy wrote:
Try using ups boxes.uninterupted power supply.they stop any dodgy power supply from the mains and protect anything plugged into them.great for when the powers down as have a small battery back up and keep the router running.green coloured ones on lazada for 990b each.you can damage electrical by keep unplugging and plugging back in.
Good tip there.

A word of advice if you do use these low-end UPS's, they don't have decent ventilation and usually they are rat-holed around the back of furniture, on the floor, poorly ventilated and attracting dust. This means they run hotter even when mostly trickle charging and this shortens the internal battery life. Replacement batteries cost between 500 and 1000 baht depending on size and where you shop. You should get at least 3 years out of a battery and more if you keep the UPS elevated off the floor and ensure some airflow.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”