Advice Needed - Have very invasive weed

General Udon Thani topics only!
Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Advice Needed - Have very invasive weed

Post by Rockfossil » August 7, 2018, 11:27 am

My lawn has been established and growing well for three years now, but in the last 12 months a very invasive weed/grass is quickly taking over. I have tried digging it out, but the roots go in all directions and not necessarily connected to the next clump of weed, and have used glysophate on it with good success, but, it also killed most of the lawn at the same time. The lawn is coming back very slowing, and no sign of the weed coming back as yet (sprayed in May 2018).
Does anyone have any suggestions on another alternative to kill/control this grass or should I just remove the affected are, which is about 1/3 of my lawn now. Hopefully, I have attached a photo of the weed. I might add that all the vacant lots, neighbours and public spaces in the village are now being invaded.
Attachments
IMG_2718.JPG

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Advice Needed - Have very invasive weed

Post by 747man » August 7, 2018, 1:24 pm

Don't Know if it's Available HERE but if you can get it try " ROUND Up " But be careful about yer Lawn....

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 7, 2018, 1:39 pm

In the US there are fertilizers with weed control.....unfortunately, I've never seen that sort of product here.
We have quite a large yard of malay grass. When I spot weeds like the one you show (or many others), I try to control them by pulling them out by the roots. It may take a few days of plucking, then regular checking to watch for reemergence. Clover is a tough weed to control if it gets out of control. I don't think I've seen the weed in the photo.....but it looks like something that can be controlled by regular plucking. It just may take a while to get ahead of it.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » August 7, 2018, 3:07 pm

[quote=747man post_id=519660 time=1533623089 user_id=4382]
Don't Know if it's Available HERE but if you can get it try " ROUND Up " But be careful about yer Lawn....
[/quote]

The ingredients of Round Up is Glyphosate. Use it with the same precautions as you would with Round Up. I have been using it for weed control also. Some of the vendors will try to sell you Paraquat but my experience with Paraquat is that it did not kill the roots. I have the same weed as shown in the picture also. My approach is that the Glyphosate will kill everything and then the grass that I want will eventually come back. The weeds will always come back because they have so many ways to repopulate such as being spread by the wind or by birds. Good luck.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 7, 2018, 3:23 pm

Be careful with Round Up. It's been associated with causing cancer. :(

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 7, 2018, 6:49 pm

Galee wrote:
August 7, 2018, 3:23 pm
Be careful with Round Up. It's been associated with causing cancer. :(
Yes it has, but the cases shown are for people who use it almost constantly in a work environment, not occasional use by home owners.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 7, 2018, 8:56 pm

Weed grasses are one of the biggest pains here, whether in a lawn, veg plot or a border. Most do seem to be quite hard to control mechanically (pulling, cutting, digging up). In a lawn can only try pulling up and more regular mowing (some weed grasses are more susceptible to cutting than lawn grasses, so although you will not get rid of them you reduce there competitiveness).
Not sure if you can get it here, but in the UK you could get Glyphosate as a spot weeder (either a dab on stick or a brush) which allows you to kill it plant by plant and not damage the lawn grass. But not practical on one third of your lawn i expect, but maybe useful next time.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”