Supermarket prices out of control

General Udon Thani topics only!
the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: Supermarket prices out of control

Post by the-monk » August 11, 2018, 10:52 am

Sorry but i don t see the need to attack the messenger.... Why not address the message question ? Give us your impressions of the Supermarket prices. Thanks.
Have a nice day

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 11, 2018, 11:39 am

Not only with the supermarkets but in all cases where we buy things ...Isnt it down to choice .. as per the mindset of the individual making the purchase . Some prefer to shop around for the keenest price and special deals whilst some just cant be arsed n buy on the spot maybe not even asking the price..... a price is simply the amount any one is willing to pay OR NOT for a particular item or service isnt ??

How much do i really want that jar of Branston ?? can i afford it ?? ... i really miss it
Dulux or TOA paint which is best and longer lasting
Blend or Bush Mills is it for me or the inlaws ?? :lol:
Toyota or BMW ..choices choices
Lurpak or Allowie .. no contest !!!! but Lurpak is crazy money here .. just gotta have it !!

When i fist came here had only a few supermarkets to choose from most n then without the huge stock range as today , Foodland was my fav by a mile open 24 hrs and a good cafe to sit at n watch the world go by.

OMO ..Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 11, 2018, 11:52 am

A FOODLAND store in Udon would do very very well IMO ...if in the right location .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Big boss wrote:
August 11, 2018, 10:38 am
Reading some of these post ....
Supermarket price changes before you start moaning
This is that price and so on some of the Thai people
Live on what your moaning about and got to pay extra
Just think why you left your own country and retire in
Such a beautiful Kingdom of Thailand and welcomed by these great friendly people..
I myself be happy to pay and wake up everyday with a big smile on my face living the dream...
Or you could go back home and pay more for sure and wake up miserable......
Just a thought 😎😁 be happy there's more to life than moaning on this page about a few baht your breathing and
Alive..
There's a lot of people out there wish they could just go to SUPERMARKET and buy what they want
Well Said BIG BOSS......Got a BIG Pension have YOU ??

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 11, 2018, 12:37 pm

Since I relocated back here from Pattaya where resident complainers are rather spoiled for choice when it comes to the grocery shopping 'experience', I had to adjust to what was available here. Villa had just opened so initially I spent a fair bit of time and money there and back then, the Big C at Nadee still had a decent imported goods aisle and Ngeesoon was decent too. Fast-forward a few years and despite being momentarily blessed with a second Villa, the Nadee Big C went downmarket on the farang tucker and Ngeesoon even more so. At the same time, the original Big C at the flyover started getting more out of my wallet as they did an excellent job of rationalizing their imported goods range. At first I reckoned the downsize of their imported food aisle was bad but in retrospect, they simply got rid of a lot of stuff that probably wasn't shifting fast enough... and most everything that I want is still there. There was also Papafarangs and Chern Chim for the really esoteric culinary items. Now we have TIT filling the gap. Papafarangs has relocated but is still in business.

Being a creature of habit, I like a certain OJ or a certain bacon or a certain milk. Being a regular Big C flyover shopper, these items go on CYCLICAL yellow label (reduced price) or 2 for 1 offers. That's when I double up on purchases and stockpile for when these items are back on premium pricing. More recently, they have been really fast on discounting stuff as it approaches best by date and further bargains can be had. Earlier this year, I bought a small freezer from my mate while I was doing a resupply run in Pattaya and TBH, I don't know how I managed without it before.

I also shop at Tops under Central, pretty much keeping tabs on the prices for the same regular comestibles. I buy less there but they have their 'specials' and also do regular clearances one of which saw me bag half a dozen large packets of Waitrose branded plain chocolate digestives which were normally 3 times the price of the (smaller) McVities ones but are much, much tastier IMHO.

Makro in Udon seems to have bucked up a little in the past couple of years. Still doesn't stock my favorite piss but their import aisle is good and I like some of the beef that's showing up in a small chill table just past the fish and before you get to the chicken and pig meat. They are also my go-to brownie provider since Tops mysteriously stopped making them nationwide a few months ago.

I spend less at Villa as they are undeniably the most expensive outlet. However, they do have maybe 3 or 4 items that if I run out between Pattaya trips, I can get it there.

Tesco-Lotus never saw much of me at their 2 locations in Pattaya and even less up here. Bad parking, rubbish bakery, bad stock control, haphazard shelf stuffing and a mediocre check out experience where I still need a bloody magnifying glass to read the archaic backlit LED cash register display. The only time we were frequent visitors was when they briefly had an outlet of Fuji inside but we still never shopped there.
Last edited by tamada on August 11, 2018, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 11, 2018, 12:48 pm

Faraday wrote:
August 11, 2018, 5:56 am
You had to pay Forty Baht more than Pipoz for a box of Leo?

This is outrageous. Call the big Joke, he'll sort it out!!

:roll:
Yes but when I am there I am very good regular for him and buy in large volumes :lol: and my TG is related to him

Truth is that the last time I bought from him was in May this year, so maybe he has jacked it up. I will check what price he gives me when I a back in September

PS He actually paid 30 Baht more, by my calcs

pipoz444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 11, 2018, 5:04 pm

One thing i forgot and was not happy with at nong khai makro was the price of beer.
Beer laos dark 1,750 baht for 24 , 350ml cans
Beer laos light 1,550 for 24 , 350ml cans
100% mark up on what i paid in laos which is only 20kms away ?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 11, 2018, 7:31 pm

dragonz wrote:
August 11, 2018, 5:04 pm
One thing i forgot and was not happy with at nong khai makro was the price of beer.
But it would have cost you 35 US$ To get it there ??

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 11, 2018, 7:40 pm

dragonz wrote:
I am pretty sure that I paid around TB 110 for this in Bangkok at the Beer Garden in Soi 7, a few months back. That would make it TB 2,640 if I managed to drink 24 of them

Its a nice beer, but I have seen any Bottles of it available in Udon Thani, at Makro's or anywhere
Beer Lao-Lager- 330 ml.jpg
pipoz444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » August 12, 2018, 7:09 am

dragonz wrote:
The big mark up is due to the beer has to be imported through Bangkok where it is checked by Customs & taxed then sent back to Udon / Nong Khai.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 12, 2018, 12:11 pm

Sorry cannot believe that . I am sure they could bring it across the nong khai bridge and pay duty on it there same as any port in the world .There is a duty and customs office on the bridge as i have seen it I have paid duty at dover and folkstone in uk comming across the channel in my car and have paid duty at heathrow airport and also had a friend who drove to laos a few months ago and brought a lot of boxes of laos beer back with him and paid duty on them . My wife brought a box back a few weeks ago 750baht .
Also its no excuse . I can buy foreign beer from any country in the world in tesco uk at nearly the same price as local beer. I once bought a bottle of beer chang in uk at 1.60 pounds basically then 75 baht , a long way from thailand . Stella from belgium and budweiser from usa about 50baht a large bottle so increasing the price from 750 baht to 1750 baht is just a scam to me .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 12, 2018, 3:10 pm

dragonz wrote:
August 12, 2018, 12:11 pm
Sorry cannot believe that . I am sure they could bring it across the nong khai bridge and pay duty on it there same as any port in the world .There is a duty and customs office on the bridge as i have seen it I have paid duty at dover and folkstone in uk comming across the channel in my car and have paid duty at heathrow airport and also had a friend who drove to laos a few months ago and brought a lot of boxes of laos beer back with him and paid duty on them . My wife brought a box back a few weeks ago 750baht .
Also its no excuse . I can buy foreign beer from any country in the world in tesco uk at nearly the same price as local beer. I once bought a bottle of beer chang in uk at 1.60 pounds basically then 75 baht , a long way from thailand . Stella from belgium and budweiser from usa about 50baht a large bottle so increasing the price from 750 baht to 1750 baht is just a scam to me .
The local Thai booze industry is a heavily protected monopoly and one of those controls is the tax levied on imported beer by the government. The fact that on a clear day, you can see a case of Beerlao on the other side of the river that only costs 750 baht means absolutely bugger all. Same goes for being able to buy foreign beer in Tesco's in the UK for cheaper than domestic piss in LOS

When I was all excited about Beerlao about a dozen years ago, I had a Thai neighbor regularly bringing my supply across the bridge. Then Thai Customs got more grabby and he would have to ditch the case and bring it over in bin bags. A few months later, it was more trouble than it was worth... and I had lost the taste for it anyway. I used to by the odd case for visitors at makro when I lived down in Pattaya but once they started hiking the (then) price of a case upward of 1200 bht, I stopped wasting money.

Funnily enough, my mate in Houston sent me this earlier today. That's about 50 baht/bottle.
beerlao_houston.jpg
Beerlao at Spec's Liquor Store, Houston
Anyway, please let us know exactly what your mate and your wife have been charged by Customs for case of Beerlao. That's much more relevant.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 12, 2018, 3:25 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
August 11, 2018, 7:40 pm
dragonz wrote:
I am pretty sure that I paid around TB 110 for this in Bangkok at the Beer Garden in Soi 7, a few months back. That would make it TB 2,640 if I managed to drink 24 of them

Its a nice beer, but I have seen any Bottles of it available in Udon Thani, at Makro's or anywhere

Beer Lao-Lager- 330 ml.jpg

pipoz444
Has been randomly spotted in small numbers on the back wall of Tops, under Central. Like a lot of shopping in and around Udon, it can be a bit of a lottery that what you want is there when you want. The trick is when it is there, buy the bloody lot!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 12, 2018, 4:37 pm

Have seen cases of it at Makro Didn't pay attention if it was Dark Lager etc

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 12, 2018, 5:24 pm

tamada wrote:
August 12, 2018, 3:10 pm
dragonz wrote:
August 12, 2018, 12:11 pm
The local Thai booze industry is a heavily protected monopoly and one of those controls is the tax levied on imported beer by the government. The fact that on a clear day, you can see a case of Beerlao on the other side of the river that only costs 750 baht means absolutely bugger all. Same goes for being able to buy foreign beer in Tesco's in the UK for cheaper than domestic piss in LOS

When I was all excited about Beerlao about a dozen years ago, I had a Thai neighbor regularly bringing my supply across the bridge. Then Thai Customs got more grabby and he would have to ditch the case and bring it over in bin bags. A few months later, it was more trouble than it was worth... and I had lost the taste for it anyway. I used to by the odd case for visitors at makro when I lived down in Pattaya but once they started hiking the (then) price of a case upward of 1200 bht, I stopped wasting money.

Funnily enough, my mate in Houston sent me this earlier today. That's about 50 baht/bottle.

beerlao_houston.jpg

Anyway, please let us know exactly what your mate and your wife have been charged by Customs for case of Beerlao. That's much more relevant.
Beer Lao is readily avialable in Mkro , ive seen it most times ive visited recently both lager n dark ..didnt take note of the price but i know it was hit hard in tyhe last Alc tax increases which took effect Sept thru Nov 2017 .

BTW The Singha Corporation control all the beer Lao commercial imports and sales activity in Thailand .

You are spot on Tam .. its a carefully orchestrated monopoly

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 12, 2018, 6:03 pm

Didn't Thailand sign up for a Asian wide tax system to stop one Asian country overtaxing anothers products in favour of their own?

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 12, 2018, 6:50 pm

747man wrote:
August 11, 2018, 7:31 pm
dragonz wrote:
But it would have cost you 35 US$ To get it there ??
no it did not my wife went across and got it 700 bahts
Lucky i do not drink heinekin as under your reasoning would cost me 50,000baht a bottle as i would have to go to denmark for it

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » August 12, 2018, 9:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Dragonz you will have to excuse 747man hes the forum clown,forever shooting himself in the foot \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ have you ever seen the beer lao gold????

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » August 13, 2018, 12:04 am

Why would u go to Denmark for Holland beer beats me then again maybe cheaper in Denmark lol

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 13, 2018, 2:14 am

dunroaming wrote:
August 13, 2018, 12:04 am
Why would u go to Denmark for Holland beer.....
Just to clarify before a big controversy starts, technically the beer is made in the country of the Netherlands, South Holland province.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”