Cobras

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
glalt
udonmap.com

Cobras

Post by glalt » October 18, 2018, 1:06 pm

About five months ago I heard my wife screeching. She is normally not afraid of anything so I went running. We have a steel frame screen door and at the top of it was a spitting cobra. It did spit at her but since it was caught in the door it missed her eyes and hit her upper arm. I grabbed a pair of glasses and a butcher knife. I killed the snake and put it on the burning pile. By the time I got my camera the snake was gone. Our handyman took it home to eat so no pictures. I am about a head taller than my wife. If it would have been me going out that door the snake may have bitten me in the head.

The day before yesterday she was hollering at me. I went out and there was another cobra under a cabinet in the outside kitchen. After poking at it with a long piece of bamboo, it got away. Yesterday it or another one came back. It was in the same place. A neighbor heard my wife and a friend of hers shouting he came over and managed to kill the snake. He took it home to eat. Today my four month old puppy was barking and he wouldn't stop. I finally saw what had him upset, another cobra. I managed to kill this one. Thais normally call most snakes cobras regardless of whether they are or not. I can assure you that those three were genuine cobras. When you hear that snake hiss and spread his hood, you can't mistake what it is. I normally don't kill snakes but cobras are beyond the line.
Cobra 1 crop.jpg
Cobra 2 crop.jpg

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Cobras

Post by maaka » October 18, 2018, 1:47 pm

nasty ruddy things...we have some forest land and of course muggin's here has to clear the boundaries, etc etc..
I tell ya, you need eyes in the back of your head, as well as on the top of your head..and yes the ones around home are scary mothers..we have the grandmother of old snakes living somewhere around the house..Ever one has seen it but not me..lives in the jungle afew metres from our back door....keep your eyes peeled Matey

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 18, 2018, 2:44 pm

We've had a few cobra encounters on our property over the years......but since the reemergence of a team of mongoose (พังพอน), we haven't seen any.
One day our dogs alerted on a snake hidden well beneath a large landscaping rock. I inserted a long piece of bamboo to try and drive it out. The snake hissed.......loudly.....scared the pee out of me. Then our dog stuck her nose in there and got shot up with an eye full of cobra spit....before the snake emerged and was killed by our 3 dogs. My wife washed out the dog's eyes with water.....more water......jungle juice.....more water and then more. One of the dog's eyes was recessed so far back, we were sure it would be blind. But 3 days later.....all was well.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 18, 2018, 3:11 pm

I think that in the forest you would rarely see a cobra. They are very shy and will normally get away from the noise you are making before you see them.

It's when they are cornered that they are dangerous. Around the house there are many places for them to hide. If you get too close, it can be dangerous. We have lived in this house for more than ten years and until this year have never seen a cobra. Once in a while we would see a few harmless snakes but never cobras.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 18, 2018, 6:00 pm

To get three in a short space of time might indicate that there is a "family" of the b*ggers and they have about 20 at a time so be very very careful glalt

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 18, 2018, 8:01 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
October 18, 2018, 6:00 pm
To get three in a short space of time might indicate that there is a "family" of the b*ggers and they have about 20 at a time so be very very careful glalt
I took my bamboo stick and VERY cautiously walked around the yard. I found a suspicious hole in the ground and stuck the hose in it. I turned on the water and watched the hole. Nothing came out. Water ran in the hole for five hours and it never filled up. Tomorrow I'll fill the hole with cement. I have no idea if that's where the snakes came from but obviously there is room in that hole for a LOT of snakes or other critters.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » October 19, 2018, 4:35 am

Isnt this the time of year that their eggs hatch ?
I know that the mother stays with her eggs for about 12 weeks and only leaves them a day or so before they hatch , for fear her hunger will get the better of her and she may be tempted to eat her own young .
Maybe thats whats happened here.
Maybe the snake you killed was the mother . That would explain her aggresive behavior , as normally they are afraid of human contact and will not waste venom on something they cant eat , unless provoked.
They like to make a nest in a moist hot spot during the rainy season . A nice pile of old leaves will do them just fine .
And remember that the young ones have venom the day they hatch so be careful . Very hard to recognise a young cobra because they dont have the distinctive cobra makings that young .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 19, 2018, 6:53 am

http://factsanddetails.com/asian/cat68/ ... m2436.html
https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous ... ry-deadly/
and they don't have the distinctive cobra makings that young ...wrong !...yes they have (monocled kind)
cobra.jpg
as info ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 19, 2018, 8:32 am

90% of snake bites occur when humans try and kill the snake forcing it to attack, best to just leave them be, they are scared of humans, let them move on. I see so many on my land and never a problem, try and kill them and your putting yourself in danger.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » October 19, 2018, 8:38 am

Well thank you kopkei for pointing that out to me , i appreciate it.
The more info we have on snakes the better.
Unlike others i have no problem admitting my mistakes .

ricks
udonmap.com

Post by ricks » October 19, 2018, 9:10 am

had a small baby kingcobra in my home hid on the timber frames called the snake guys ,when they found it and got it down ,you could see the fear in there eyes

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 19, 2018, 2:51 pm

fatbob wrote:
October 19, 2018, 8:32 am
90% of snake bites occur when humans try and kill the snake forcing it to attack, best to just leave them be, they are scared of humans, let them move on. I see so many on my land and never a problem, try and kill them and your putting yourself in danger.
I'd be very happy to have any snake 'move on'. I value my dogs in letting me know of something or somebody in or near the house and the dogs are usually the first on to a snake. They usually kill it, but a cobra, I think, has been one exception. Dangerous or not, I don't want it in the house, or the cause of a racket in the middle of the night. That's when I'm obliged to get involved.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 19, 2018, 4:26 pm

I have heard people say that snakes don't like lemon grass. Don't believe it. On one of our small farms there is a large bunch of lemon grass on the pond bank. I was walking around the pond and when I got within about five feet from the lemon grass, A large snake stood up. I jumped back so fast that I fell on my butt. When I got up the snake was gone and I saw it swimming across the pond. I didn't get a very good look at it and have no idea what it even was except that it was big. If I were going to have a heart attack, I would have had it right there.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 19, 2018, 5:29 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
October 19, 2018, 2:51 pm
fatbob wrote:
October 19, 2018, 8:32 am
I'd be very happy to have any snake 'move on'. I value my dogs in letting me know of something or somebody in or near the house and the dogs are usually the first on to a snake. They usually kill it, but a cobra, I think, has been one exception. Dangerous or not, I don't want it in the house, or the cause of a racket in the middle of the night. That's when I'm obliged to get involved.
Well you will get bitten and deserve it, Oh what is it? Lets kill it....

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 20, 2018, 6:27 am

"Well you will get bitten and deserve it, Oh what is it? Lets kill it...."
A bit harsh, don't you think, for preventing possibly a dangerous snake entering the house and a bigger problem with my family there? Goodness knows, there enough stuff on tv about that occurring here - and deaths. Read my previous post, where I wrote I'd be happy to let snakes slip away. I've no desire to wipe out the snake population, as you suggest. A long bamboo pole to hand and I'd try to lift the snake over the wall , or out front gate, not easy if the dogs are still present.
And, incidentally, I try not to purposely run over them when driving.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » October 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Any snake that is seen near my house is dispatched ASAP and eaten by the neighbours.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » October 20, 2018, 8:57 am

I agree with Brian . If your not the one to protect your home and family then who is ?
We have plenty of snakes in this neck of the woods including a few Kingcobras.
On all occasions of being confronted with a snake the snake has either given a warning im too close or slithered off to pastures new.
Fortunately non have ever tried to enter the house, a full grown monitor had a wander around once , which freaked the Mrs out , but no snakes .
As much as i love a bit of wildlife and respect that snakes are important to the eco system here , i too would evict one from the house and if killing it was the only ,or safest way of doing it , it will be dispatched to snake navarna.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 20, 2018, 9:16 am

Why lift it over the wall? So it can climb back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQ9NJuqnGE

Leave them alone, stamp your feet or bang the ground with something heavy and they will take off.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 20, 2018, 11:52 am

Our house has a fairly tall surrounding wall and main gate. I can't be certain, but I imagine most snakes finding their way in have climbed a neighbour's tree and come down on top of the wall, or from open land straight through the front gate. I don't recall snakes I've come across previously attempting to climb the wall to escape, rather than going up what bushes or trees we have. But, from your video, some snakes can obviously climb vertically, although I think the one in the video didn't actually make it over the top.
The reason I try to assist the snake over the wall is not to encourage it to climb back!~ but to get it off our property and steer it away from any areas where it could be more of a problem to move eg. down a drain, into the loft. Although, I imagine our property has a lot less places to hide than a typical Thai village house.(We've seen videos of snakes coming up a toilet before now, which I feel certain cures any constipation issues. :lol: ) If, as you suggest, it's frightened of me and the two dogs probably snapping at it, I hope it has the sense not to come back again.
As I said, I like to think the dogs are a positive factor, in warning me of some kind of danger. I can see an argument that if the dogs weren't actually trying to bite the thing, the snake might be more tempted to slide off quietly confronted by only a noisy me.

MichaelZ
udonmap.com

Post by MichaelZ » October 21, 2018, 12:38 pm

Hi there, since we are talking about cobras, anyone can identify this fella for me please? Unfortunately it is already without the head bit still in piece on the photo( just before it went into Tom Yam Snake;) ). Went inside the house in the farm, and uncle smashed it with large stick, said it was a cobra...

Thanks,
MikeImageImageImage

Sent from my H60-L12 using Tapatalk

Return to “Open Forum”