Nong Prajak Park

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Martyn
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Martyn » November 8, 2011, 3:31 pm

Thanks for all the new information. Most helpful and Lee's photos are quite stunning.

I'm currently working nights and absolutely knackered. I'm off work Thursday and I'll digest all the new facts then and comment.

Cheers.

Martyn
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Martyn » November 11, 2011, 5:34 am

Thank you to everyone who responded to my plea for help in drafting my post about Nong Prajak Park. Your help has been fantastic and without it my post would not have been possible. I am happy to say I have now completed the article.

I would like to add that having visited a few Thailand forums in the past, and read many topics about the country, Udonmap is without doubt the top banana on the forum tree. I have visited this forum on and off during the past year or so , much more lately, and I find it to be a great resource about Udon Thani. And even more importantly, the members of the forum discuss the topics in a very friendly, supportive and at times humorous way. Keep up the good work and I will continue to view and add any help where and when possible.

Cheers with a Chang and not a lao khao.
Martyn

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by bamakmak » November 12, 2011, 3:52 pm

I just spoke with an older Thai gentleman who has lived in Udon his entire life and is very influential with local officials. I asked him when Nong Prajak park was built. As it turns out, he was on the planning coommission that developed the park.

According to him, the park was created in 1984 at a cost of 300 million THB. Paid 30% by Udon Thani and 70% by the national government.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by marshbags » November 12, 2011, 6:22 pm

Prachak Silpakhom Lake ( prior to being renamed Nong Prajak Park )

Located in the Udon Thani Municipality, this giant pond has existed before the establishment of Udon Thani town. Lying to the west of the town, it was formerly called “Nong Na Klue” (pond of salty water) and later changed to “Nong Prachak” in honor of Major General HRH Prince Prachaksinlapakhom, the founder of Udon Thani town. In 1987, the Udon Thani Municipality improved the pond as a royal tribute to individual Rama IX on the auspicious occasion of his 50th birthday anniversary. On an island in the pond, a small garden is filled with decorative and flowering plants, and there is a bridge linking the island with the mainland. Within the park, there is a fountain, a clock tower, and a playground. It serves as a place of recreation and exercise for the public.

Unquote

I find this particular location one of the best parks and exercise areas I have the pleasure to use on a regular basis.

The gardeners keep the place looking beatutiful and are always improving the flowering arrangements.

On occassions like Loy Krathong they make sure the park is cleaend very quickly.

Come Song Kran time even though it is a near imposible task to keep it reasonable, they always make a point of getting rid of the filth and disgusting remnants left scattered all over the place by many who should know better.

It can appear a thankless task and while many do not care / appreciate their efforts many others do.

Well done all who contribute to the many wonderful views and always have a smile for everyone, we thank you very much indeed.

marshbags =D>

P.S.

If only the authorities would do something about the many complaints regarding the idiots on their m. cycles who are using the upper track as a highway and seemingly think it is there for their convenience.

I wonder when someone will get hurt or killed by these lunatics.

Let us hope something is done to restore it to an exercise areabfore it is to late.

If anyone on the forum has any influence please pass on our concerns to someone who will do something about it.

christiemln
udonmap.com

Re: Nong Prajak Park

Post by christiemln » October 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

I heard a story from a grandmother of a teacher that around 60 - 80 years ago there were fresh water crocodiles living in Nong Prajak park! Can anyone confirm this?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

I can't confirm the story......but long ago, Nong Prajak was basically a swamp. Several years ago a croc was found in the lotus lake in Kumphawaphi.....but not known if it was someone's pet that was released.
The 'interesting' Nongprajak story that I've been told.....by Dr. Somsak who seems to know his Udon history.....is that the still vacant lot at the 4way intersection, just down from Beyond Cafe, was where criminals were executed....long ago. That could be why the piece of land remains vacant to this day.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 16, 2018, 8:01 pm

did a loop around the island park just last week. First visit I've made in years... All nicely landscaped with two separate exercise/kiddie parks with one being a large "Dino Park" with lots of kiddie standard slides, swings, climbing towers etc.. I was a bit surprised to see one of the gardening crew driving a quite new John Deere zero-point mower that look well maintained.. I can remember my first loop around the "island" back in late 1997 when the government was excavating the lake and lining the sides with rocks to I'd guess make it a better reservoir for the city..

Now my first visit to Nong Prajak when it was part swamp and part reservoir was back in November of 1973 where the GF and I went for Loy Kratong to float our Kratongs one evening. We launched them into the lake where a wind floated them apart then together while we watched them fade into the darkness. The GF said, "hmm, that means we'll be together for a long time..." I sniffed at that a bit.. Little did I know, 45 years later, we'd still be together...

picture is from the northeast corner of Nong Prajak about August of 74..
NongPrajak0874.jpg
Just to the left in the picture was an individual's Udon Residence...
KingsHouseUdorn74.JPG
Dave

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 17, 2018, 7:45 pm

the still vacant lot at the 4way intersection, just down from Beyond Cafe, was where criminals were executed....long ago. That could be why the piece of land remains vacant to this day.
I heard the same story but according to 3 Thai friends of mine (one of which was a former Udon Kasikorn banker) who are part of the Thai Chinese community the story is not at all true. The former banker knows the owner of the property who is just not interested in selling it.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 18, 2018, 11:12 am

have they finished renovations/ track repair?
over on the hospital side all tore up some
months ago

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » October 18, 2018, 12:46 pm

Yes.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » October 25, 2018, 3:24 pm

Pigeon Trap.