antibiotic resistance looms larger

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
yartims
udonmap.com

antibiotic resistance looms larger

Post by yartims » October 23, 2018, 8:18 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... -hip-knee/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ng-surgery

Hip and knee operations are becoming increasingly lethal due to the rise of antibiotic resistance (AMR), health officials have warned.

More than 2,500 people are now dying each year following a surge in once-treatable bloodstream infections for which antibiotics no longer work.

A new report from Public Health England (PHE) warns that unless the trend is arrested, routine surgery, caesarean sections and some cancer treatments risk becoming life-threatening for more than three million patients each year.

They are among a raft of common procedures which have been relatively safe for decades thanks to prophylactic (precautionary) antibiotics.

However, the report warns that an estimated 35 per cent increase in bloodstream infections between 2013 and 2017 proves that the drugs are rapidly losing their power.

AMR occurs when bacteria and other pathogens develop resistance to medicines used to attack them through spontaneous genetic mutation and natural selection.

Some degree of resistance is inevitable, however the process has been dramatically worsened by profligate use of the drugs in both

the only good Tory is a lavatory

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Re: antibiotic resistance looms larger

Post by Hoopoe » October 24, 2018, 6:04 am

whilst reading through the telegraph article i came across this , maybe common knowledge to most , but it's the first i've read ,,,,
Earlier this year the first known British case of “super-gonorrhoea” was discovered, after a man picked up a strain of the sexually-transmitted infection in Thailand that proved resistant to all the standard drugs.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » October 24, 2018, 8:07 am

Anyone aware of how this resistance occurs?
I assume a patient with some infection is on a treatment that does not knock out the bug completely, or fails to complete a course of treatment allowing the bug to grow stronger.
Reason I ask is a couple of years back, I was on a treatment for nearly 2 years waiting for an operation to cure a bladder restriction. At that time the drug used quickly advanced to macrodantin and even after the op for a month or so, mild infection still persisted.
Suddenly, as if it were never a problem, it disappeared. Continued with the treatment for the course supplied, then saw the doc who gave the all clear.
Now does it mean I now go back to square 1 as far as any future problems or is this somehow embedded in my system?
May be one of those "suck it and see" things.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » October 24, 2018, 8:51 am

girlfriend drives me crazy when taking meds, she never completes the program.

standard uneducated thinking, you feel better then there is no reason to take the remain 4 days of pills.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Anyone aware of how this resistance occurs?
Bluejets
An awful lot of it is caused by exactly as Mosquito has posted. People not completing the prescribed course of meds. There is also the people who take antibiotics for a viral infection (colds,flu's etc) Farmers dosing their livestock with antibiotics as a precautionary measure and the natural evolution of bacteria. As the article in the Telegraph states no new antibiotics have been developed since the 1970s so these clever wee bacterial beasties have had loads of time to develop resistance.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 24, 2018, 11:41 am

i don't think they've ever found a cure for the black
syphilis either. certainly makes one consider the
prudence of having partners undergo tertiary exam

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » October 26, 2018, 5:21 pm

the only good Tory is a lavatory