Lucky Number

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Re: Lucky Number

Post by Brian Davis » June 2, 2018, 5:39 pm

I don't mind my wife playing the lottery, but she's sensible enough, bar one occasion (a certainty, which wasn't), not to bet too much. But the lead up to the thing, the family/contact 'phone calls etc. on the day and the post-analysis drives me crazy. As your example, there's always an excuse why the supposed 'lucky' number didn't come up, or oh so close to the one which did! :roll: Just tell me you've won something good - that's all I want to know. :lol:

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 3, 2018, 7:40 am

We have lucky lizards, bees, snakes and heaven knows what else and on the day of the draw we have the usual, if I'd have bought 5479 not 9473! So unlucky! I don't think the wife has ever won anything here, thankfully she doesn't play too much and she won a £1000 on the postcode lottery a couple of months ago so I guess she's up a little bit.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 3, 2018, 10:10 am

maaka wrote:
June 2, 2018, 5:16 pm
unbeknown to us we had large snake living in the house for about a week, to ten days, before the missus ran into it..some little man with a pole and noose caught it, and off they went. Missus came back, and is a spiritual one when it comes to ghosts and snakes..' people say it is a lucky snake that one, that it come in our house, and say I take lotto number same of our house number and I be lucky..for days thats all I heard as lotto day neared. I will get lotto ticket our house today and win 6 million baht..ok ok..I get a phonecall from her mid morning. we win the lotto..it have our house number, but I forget to buy ticket..why I forget...later it was ; you loose because you killed the lucky snake, if left alive you would win.....bless her quest to win something in life
Too funny. Reminded me of my Rhodesian buddy's snake escapade in Pattaya many years ago. While upstairs in his 'eerie', he heard the mother in law and mae bahn having a cow downstairs, screaming "Ngoo! Ngoo!" So he saunters down the stairs to see a cobra in the lounge. already rattled enough to be in the strike position. Being from farming stock and ex-army, he quietly went back upstairs and got his bush knife. After herding the hysterical women out of the room, he walked up to the snake and with a deft flick of the wrist, lopped it's head off.

The ladies histrionics only increased which had him totally perplexed until his wife came home, caught up with what had happened... and after explaining what a bad thing he's done, joined in the condemnation of his act. As he saw it, it was akin to the combination of the walking under a ladder in the while opening an umbrella in the house and breaking a mirror while having your path crossed by a black cat... times ten.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 2, 2018, 6:17 pm

You'd think after all these years, I'd follow the Thai logic of picking lottery numbers. Spreading baby powder on some haunted tree or 'reading' a number on the back of some 3 meter python or treking out to KhamChaNote to ask the spirits there to clue you in on the next lottery pick.....that's old hat. But yesterday's 12 million Baht winner in Udon came up with a novel approach to picking the winner. Upon seeing the news of a horrific accident in Kamphaengphet that killed 9 people, they used the ill-fated license plate number to pick their lottery ticket. And won!
You can be sure this idea will catch on.......and is easy to do, as most every news report of an accident includes the license plate number of the vehicles involved. t.i.t.
https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1409470

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 2, 2018, 7:12 pm

watched the news this morning where they interviewed the woman from Khumpawapi who'd bought a stack of the winning tickets and won 90 million baht.. She had her husband with her and seemingly about 30-40 grinning relatives eagerly awaiting their share...
Dave

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » November 3, 2018, 7:32 am

Southern Thais have been using the licence plate numbers of crashed vehicles for many, many years. My ex-wife told me it was karma. "Bad luck for crash/die so good luck for someone soon"

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 3, 2018, 9:31 am

I may not have the numbers accurate, but apparently another near miss by my wife. The winners were something like numbers 30 and 50 and she'd bought number 40. Yes, ok dear, if you say so. :? :roll:

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 6, 2018, 10:28 am

Our family had the 'lottery eel'. In the New year, my father-in-law came back one day with a swamp eel he had caught. Usual fate was to be eaten. But this one was pure golden yellow in colour (and pretty big, about half a metre, which is a good size for a swamp eel).

I said not to eat it, because it might be valuable (turns out golden swamp eels are not that rare). Anyway, it was put into a concrete tank. Next day i see my Mother-in-law praying to the eel! The full works, candles, joss sticks, flowers and some food. Wife just said it was for good luck. A week later, she won the lottery! Paying more attention now, I see M-in-L catch the eel, put it in a bowl and study it. Apparently the shape it makes would correspond to a lottery number ....

My wife then won twice ...... Unfortunately all wins were just in the few thousand baht range. Not sure how many other family members did the lottery eel but it died around Songkran from the heat and polluted water (M-in-L overfed it and the food rotted). Hopefully they won more than they spent!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 6, 2018, 5:36 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
November 3, 2018, 9:31 am
I may not have the numbers accurate, but apparently another near miss by my wife. The winners were something like numbers 30 and 50 and she'd bought number 40. Yes, ok dear, if you say so. :? :roll:
I know how that goes. The concept that close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades is lost here. If I had 1000 baht for every time Mrs tam has been close, I would be able to fund my bloody retirement extension!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 6, 2018, 6:00 pm

tamada wrote:
November 6, 2018, 5:36 pm
Brian Davis wrote:
November 3, 2018, 9:31 am
I know how that goes. The concept that close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades is lost here. If I had 1000 baht for every time Mrs tam has been close, I would be able to fund my bloody retirement extension!
:lol:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 21, 2018, 3:25 am

Funny article by the well-known Andrew Biggs in the Bangkok Post. Like this guy.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/s ... in-a-dream.

He highlights the craziness, which I often argue about with my wife. Words were also recently exchanged on the Thai's inability to break-off eating, which Biggs also refers to. I'll draw the article to her attention later, but I predict there'll be some kind of explanation or excuse.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Funny that. I dreamed last night that 41 was the lotto number..must be going around.
My missus pleads every night to the pillow before sleep, to dream of the lucky number.
I gave her the winning numbers twice but she forgot to buy the tickets..
Everyday the word lotto comes into the conversation. Indeed, the niece's husband, a feuding young couple badly in debt, just won 80,000bt on the lotto, and the family went ballistic, with party, food, gold chains, and offering to the spirit world for an even bigger win please..never mind the 200,000bt debt . The money brought them all together for one happy drunken week, now its pistols at 50 paces again...but still my indoors dreams of winning with a craze..Bless her

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 21, 2018, 10:37 am

Udon seems to be lucky in recent times. Isn't it 2 x 90 million baht wins? Goodness knows, if I was ever fortunate to win big money, I'd be tight-lipped about it, 'cause it seems those who shouted out loud, get non-stop hassle.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 21, 2018, 11:00 am

Brian Davis wrote:
November 21, 2018, 10:37 am
Udon seems to be lucky in recent times. Isn't it 2 x 90 million baht wins? Goodness knows, if I was ever fortunate to win big money, I'd be tight-lipped about it, 'cause it seems those who shouted out loud, get non-stop hassle.
Yes, keep it all hush hush but we'd probably have to kill the sister-in-law to ensure that. But the ensuing hassle of publicity is common enough in the west where it's relatively easy to spot the fake relatives. I can't even tell the genuine ones here so it would be a nightmare with all these hitherto unknown sisters, uncles and cousins showing up.

I recall my dear old mum and dad always ticking the 'privacy' box when they did their weekly flutter on Littlewoods or Vernons. Beyond the odd tenner on the 'spot the ball' in the Press & Journal, they went to their graves winless.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 21, 2018, 11:25 am

Remember the Password and J spot the ball competing well that's for sure

Return to “Society and culture”