Whole house water filter

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Re: Whole house water filter

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 22, 2018, 7:49 am

Thanks "tamada" photos very useful. I've been Googling and too much info is fogging the issue, A pre tank and after tank filter such as yours looks like the best way to go, are they both Carbon type filters? as "newtovillagelife" says the cost of replacement filters needs consideration and also the flow rate.
Thank you to everyone for you input and help.....................Cheers.........BRD.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » December 22, 2018, 10:17 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
December 21, 2018, 2:41 pm
Marcosteffano wrote:
December 21, 2018, 11:22 am
It depends how dirty the water is coming out of the well.i use a two stage 16inch filter which takes it to a decent level to use in house.if you go too far in stages you'll only clog it up with dirt very quickly.i paid 6,000b but look on lazada and might find cheaper.
The water comes out very clean looking but left to stand for an hr or 2 a silvery film forms on the surface, l don't know what it is so l thought if l could put it through a decent filter of some kind maybe it would be good enough to bath in.
I don't want to spend alot of cash as I can truck in cleaner water for free 200 metres away, 6000bht sounds pretty reasonable.
What would your 2 stage filter consist Of?
Attachments
IMG_2658.PNG

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 22, 2018, 1:04 pm

The primary filter is a long, 5 micron PPE one and they're about 180 baht at Amorn but cheaper in bulk through lazada where I've seen a 6-pack for 600 baht.

The secondary filter is pleated paper and last batch I got on lazada cost 480 baht for a pack of 4. They were easily twice that price at HomePro and HomeHub which were the only places I could find them 6 months ago.

The short, 5 micron PPE filters for the faucet filtration (FF) are available at Amorn. I forget the price but I think 220 baht for 2? The short carbon filters for FF I am finding sometimes at Mr D.I.Y. opposite Sizzler in Central Plaza, maybe 60 baht? The carbon block for the FF I found at Amorn but forget the price.

However, you can get a single pack of all 3 filters on lazada for 235 baht which is what I'll be doing from now on.

The pump is a Mitsubishi WP-205QS that's been faithful for nearly 12 years already. I think they retail around 5800 to 6800 baht these says. Cheapest I saw 6 months ago was at Global House, most expensive at (you guessed it) HomePro. I recently replaced the pressure switch (buggered about with by idiots) and the vacuum diaphragm assembly as I suspect it had a pinhole leak (tank flooding, pump fast cycling and overheating after maybe a month). The faucet filters I grabbed ages ago when they were on special at Big C. Fairly generic and maybe around 1100 baht each?

If you want to build a custom, under-counter, 2-element or 3-element filter that goes in-line with the line to the faucet versus the standard switcheroo that screws on the end of the faucet, all the hardware is available at Thai Watsadu.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 22, 2018, 3:36 pm

you can check some prices on this website http://www.water-mart.net/product.detai ... th_3163778#
this is the filter we are using placed under the kitchen sink to drink the tap water...sorry Thai website,limited English , in Udon shops they are asking for 6.500 baht for something similar ... ;)

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 22, 2018, 7:52 pm

I drove to Udon today to check out the filter shops, just my luck both closed, the one near the airport and the new one at Ban Jan so l continued on to thaiwatsado, spoke to a member of staff, after showing me a few different filters she gave me a brochure with a whole house system diagram by mazuma.
DSC_0083.JPG
Mazuma water filter system
I guess the pre filter is paper or similar, and then we have the activated carbon filter and then the ion exchange resin filter, the two larger filters contain granules instead of cartridges which keeps the costs down.
Pricing up the 3 filters comes to over 25000bht, not cheap. Drinking water standard would be extra.
"dunroaming s" system may be a good deal
Going to Udon again on Monday to check out the shops again.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 22, 2018, 9:56 pm

The two filter housings I installed maybe came to 1,300 baht for the pair plus half-a-dozen 1/2" ball valves so maybe a little over 2k. I nicked 6' of half-inch blue pipe, pipe cutter and pipe glue from the BiL's junk pile. Took about an hour to install both filters.

What comes out of the filtered faucets is drinking water; we brush our teeth with it too. Otherwise the regular tap and shower water is clear, clean and doesn't smell. Very little sediment seen on the plastic filters at the inlets to the shower units than before I installed the filters. Whites done in the washing machine still come out white.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 23, 2018, 7:12 am

i also did have a whole filter system a la mazuma picture in our first home , if you have tap water you do not need it , a waste of money than , if you have well water , you must leave them test the water to know what you exactly need ...
the first big filter (mazuma) is filled with activated carbon to take away the smell, the second is filled with raisin to soften the water , both these filters need regularly maintenance , every month -2 months , backwash the activated carbon one and what they mostly do not tell is re-activate the resin , with salt as the raisin get congested collecting the lime ,so not really easy maintenance , for under the sink filters i would advice to buy a 3 to 5 way filter that has uv lamp on it , kills all the bacteria in the water , we are using it in the kitchen only bathroom we clean teeth and take a shower with the normal city water which is ok at our area , they regularly flush the system here ...as info.. ;)

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 23, 2018, 7:18 am

tamada wrote:
December 22, 2018, 9:56 pm
The two filter housings I installed maybe came to 1,300 baht for the pair plus half-a-dozen 1/2" ball valves so maybe a little over 2k. I nicked 6' of half-inch blue pipe, pipe cutter and pipe glue from the BiL's junk pile. Took about an hour to install both filters.

What comes out of the filtered faucets is drinking water; we brush our teeth with it too. Otherwise the regular tap and shower water is clear, clean and doesn't smell. Very little sediment seen on the plastic filters at the inlets to the shower units than before I installed the filters. Whites done in the washing machine still come out white.
That's cheap, thaiwatsado wanted about 6000 bht for the two similar to yours. See how it goes in Udon tomorrow.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 23, 2018, 7:29 am

kopkei wrote:
December 23, 2018, 7:12 am
i also did have a whole filter system a la mazuma picture in our first home , if you have tap water you do not need it , a waste of money than , if you have well water , you must leave them test the water to know what you exactly need ...
the first big filter (mazuma) is filled with activated carbon to take away the smell, the second is filled with raisin to soften the water , both these filters need regularly maintenance , every month -2 months , backwash the activated carbon one and what they mostly do not tell is re-activate the resin , with salt as the raisin get congested collecting the lime ,so not really easy maintenance , for under the sink filters i would advice to buy a 3 to 5 way filter that has uv lamp on it , kills all the bacteria in the water , we are using it in the kitchen only bathroom we clean teeth and take a shower with the normal city water which is ok at our area , they regularly flush the system here ...as info.. ;)
I did think that mazuma system was a bit overkill for what l wanted, trouble is when you read about all the stuff that could potentially be in the ground you start to think, arsenic, metals and because I live on a farm pesticides, like you say a water test would be the correct first step.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 23, 2018, 8:09 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
December 23, 2018, 7:18 am
tamada wrote:
December 22, 2018, 9:56 pm

That's cheap, thaiwatsado wanted about 6000 bht for the two similar to yours. See how it goes in Udon tomorrow.
In order of increasing expense, anything that has Mazuma, Stiebel or Pentair on the tin will cost more. For the bare-bones filter housings, I bought mine at Amorn, ground floor at Big-C at the flyover. You can also get your starter set of filters there then subsequently buy them on lazada. The ball valves and pipework from your nearest mom and pop pump and plumbing shop.

Once I get my holding tanks properly cleaned, I would hope to reduce the filter change frequency especially the one on the outlet from the tank/pump. Ideally the primary filter should be good for a year but I will change 6-monthly and once the system is closed, it's not unreasonable to suggest that should be adequate for the secondary and final filters as well. If pressure starts to be a concern, it will be time to change the secondary filter. If the storage tanks run low, then the primary filter needs looking at.

My basic system is good enough for city water and as suggested by kopkei, larger, more expensive systems are a good idea with well water or if the water smells but better to get the water tested first to avoid wasted expense or an inadequate system.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 23, 2018, 8:26 pm

None of the water filters described here will provide clean bacteria free drinking water other than the one described by Kopkei. All water must be treated with either chlorine, UV light, Ozone or by boiling before drinking to destroy bacteria and other microorganisms. The filters described here will only remove particulate/chemical/organic/inorganic substances.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 23, 2018, 11:42 pm

fdimike wrote:
December 23, 2018, 8:26 pm
... All water must be treated with either chlorine, UV light, Ozone or by boiling before drinking to destroy bacteria and other microorganisms. ...
Well water possibly but for city water? I prefer the more moderate, "must be treated with either chlorine, UV light, Ozone or by boiling before drinking if bacteria and other microorganisms are known to be present." Unless one has an impaired immunity for one reason or another, your digestive system should be able to handle it. However, water for infants with undeveloped immune systems always needs to be boiled first.

I used to refill my own 15 liter water bottles for the water cooler with city water from the simple, 3-part faucet-type filter. Did that for the best part of 4 years and nobody got sick. I did always drop half a chlorine tab in the empty bottle before filling it. A whole tablet and it tasted like the swimming pool.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 24, 2018, 6:38 am

The Udon city water system is a low pressure system which will more likely draw in contaminates from the area it's traveling through than a high pressure system which is used in developed countries. Considering the routing of the lines through the grey water system running along the roads and the high number of leaks (repairs by a rubber inner tube) i would not be so confident the water is drinkable. BTW these same grey water conduits also carry off the overflow from untreated septic tanks. To make matters even more difficult I have no idea how the city treats the water supply. We live in Nong Samrong on the north side of the ring rd and use city water for showering. However, we also have a Waterco Multiport Valve whole house filter filled with Zeolyte resin installed before the storage tanks to remove particulate matter. However, it will not sanitize the water. We have an under the sink water purification system (charcoal block, resin, ceramic & UV light) installed in the kitchen to provide drinking water and water to wash veggies etc.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 24, 2018, 7:21 am

fdimike wrote:
December 24, 2018, 6:38 am
The Udon city water system is a low pressure system which will more likely draw in contaminates from the area it's traveling through than a high pressure system which is used in developed countries. Considering the routing of the lines through the grey water system running along the roads and the high number of leaks (repairs by a rubber inner tube) i would not be so confident the water is drinkable. BTW these same grey water conduits also carry off the overflow from untreated septic tanks. To make matters even more difficult I have no idea how the city treats the water supply. We live in Nong Samrong on the north side of the ring rd and use city water for showering. However, we also have a Waterco Multiport Valve whole house filter filled with Zeolyte resin installed before the storage tanks to remove particulate matter. However, it will not sanitize the water. We have an under the sink water purification system (charcoal block, resin, ceramic & UV light) installed in the kitchen to provide drinking water and water to wash veggies etc.
Thanks FD, just going back to my original post, the water from my well at the moment is only to be used for bathing and washing clothes/dishes etc and no intention of drinking, I wanted to get rid of the film that collects on the surface after an hour two, apart form that the water looks clean and does not smell, I think Tamada's set up will be a cost effective solution to my prob, as suggested, maybe half a Chlorine Tab would kill off any bugs, I buy in treated water for drinking and washing food at the moment.
It's weird how the well location in the same area can affect the quality of water, I have another well about 200 metres away which I have used for bathing for several years and never had any issues, no filters of any kind, just pumped straight into the house.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 24, 2018, 11:23 am

The advantage of starting with the basic 3-part, distributed system like mine is the option to expand it at relatively low cost if that is required. In BRD's scenario, he may find the basic PP and pleated paper combination on primary and secondary filters sorts out his surface film issue. If not, another filter housing can be daisy-chained on the primary and another type of filter element installed. If at a later date, the well water starts to smell, another housing can be added or the type of filter element in an existing housing can be changed to address this.

Although I added the half-tab of chlorine to the water bottles before, it was only while doing some recent research triggered by this thread that I learned that dropping a whole tab in the secondary filter housing each time you replace can assist in sanitizing the pipework. I might try that when I get home but will do it on a week day when everyone has showered and be out of the house.Then I can run the showers and unfiltered faucets to avoid complaints about the smell or possibly stinging eyes.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 24, 2018, 11:25 am

if some one wonders how dirty the water lines can become?...
DSC00481 (Copy).JPG
they flush them until it looks like this...
DSC00484 (Copy).JPG
a needed maintenance....as info... ;)

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 7, 2019, 10:48 am

some economic advice about the small household filters with UV lamp...
i have never looked close at my 4 way + uv = 5 filter until recently a friend asked my advice , the cheapest you can find them now online ,not in any shop (prices from 4.900 to 7.500 and more), is 2.190 baht, so what i did now is ordered a 5 way filter not with uv sterilizer lamp ,same brand as the one i have now ,for 999 baht (you can buy other brand starting around 750) , this filter is exact the same as mine except one filter element more but no UV , this UV i ordered separate for the price of 790 baht , and i added this to the new 5 way filter , so now i have a 5 way filter + UV = 6 , one filter element more as before for the price of 1.800 baht , what you do need to look at is that some filters come with a resin filter element(softener) , as we use it on city water i replaced this one with an activated carbon (granules) cartridge , not activated carbon block one ... , btw replacement filters ,also never buy them at the shop (490 baht/piece) ,
normal prices for replacement cartridges are about 100 baht for resin, 100 baht activated carbon ,ceramic 140 baht,
activated granules carbon 89 baht ,PP element (if you have ,i use ceramic) 40 baht ....
placement with us under the kitchen sink ...
IMG_20190307_104224[1] (Copy).jpg
as info... ;)

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 7, 2019, 11:04 am

Hey kopkei, this is a system I’m looking at, I’m getting cheesed off of running out of water and having to used bottled, plus it’s not very good to keep using so much plastic. The only real issue I have is that they seem to come supplied with separate taps, can they be used via a regular sink tap?

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.MALY
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

vincemunday wrote:
March 7, 2019, 11:04 am
Hey kopkei, this is a system I’m looking at, I’m getting cheesed off of running out of water and having to used bottled, plus it’s not very good to keep using so much plastic. The only real issue I have is that they seem to come supplied with separate taps, can they be used via a regular sink tap?

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.MALY
Basically needs a half-inch to quarter-inch male-to-male adapter.

I have used a couple of these to connect the standard 1/4" line outlet of water filters to 1/2" domestic pipework. Try at the water filter aisle at Amorn under the food court end of the Phosri Big C. I have also seen them on the water filter shelves at various times around the corner at Thai Watsadu. Otherwise...
half2quarter.jpg
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12-14 ... R&search=1

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

These guys also make very high quality filter systems, handling water from slightly dirty municipal supplied to river/stream water with sticks in it; but I don't know if or how one might get them to Thailand. I put such a system in a condo building where I lived, and it worked incredibly well.

https://www.aqua-sun-intl.com/

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”