Nakhon Phanom (NKP) info

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Nakhon Phanom (NKP) info

Post by Charlieb » January 29, 2019, 4:42 pm

The wife wants to visit NKP. It has been at least 20 years since I was there. Any info would be appreciated.

Which is the best hotel? I am not looking for a 500 Baht but would prefer something nice like Centara, etc.

Is there still a large fahlang community there, restaurants, bars, etc.?

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Nakhon Phanom (NKP) info

Post by parrot » January 29, 2019, 5:23 pm

We haven't been in nearly two years.....but have been there frequently over the past 20. Last time we were there we stayed at the River Hotel. It was one of the newer ones in town. We paid for a deluxe room but were given a suite for no extra charge. Don't remember the price....but no more than 1500. We had a great view and were close to restaurants and things that we wanted to do. I still wear the t-shirt I bought from there.......เมืองสงบ ริมฟั่งโขง นครพนม
We saw a few foreigners.......but not many.
https://www.facebook.com/TheRiverHotel/

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » January 29, 2019, 8:43 pm

The River Hotel must be very popular. They are fully booked for all the dates I enter.

Thanks for the info

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » January 30, 2019, 5:25 am

Hi Charlie,
i have previously [-o< stayed at Fortune River View, an older riverside hotel that no doubt was the flagship of superior accommodation in it’s heyday. We loved it for comfort, the breakfast included, the riverside pool, the night market directly across the road and a golf driving range within about 300 metres on the same road, turn left coming out of the hotel and it is on the right hand side. The driving range operator/pro is a very cheerful fellow. Look for Ddgolf. The 9 hole golf course is on the left coming into Nakhon Phanom from the Airport. The course is average to say the least.
The aquarium is quaint. The Wat Maha That temple in the region is well worth the visit and is revered by Thai nationals.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 30, 2019, 5:00 pm

Shrine of the Martyrs and Wat Phra That just south of NP are interesting.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » January 30, 2019, 5:49 pm

Come on Gus. Tony just told me where the golf course and driving range are. You know where I will be :-)
Thanks for the info.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 31, 2019, 9:27 am

I can't remember the name of the hotel, but it is excellent and right across from the hotel near the 'dragon merit' site It is 750/night but does not face the Mekong. Breakfast included. Wat Mahathat is 5 minutes away from the hotel.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 31, 2019, 9:32 am

It is the Pimsiri Hotel.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 31, 2019, 9:46 am

The sacred That Phanom is about 45 miles south of Nakhon Phanom. Many Lao also come tp pay homage to it.

Tartempion
udonmap.com

Post by Tartempion » February 6, 2019, 3:51 am

Last saturday we stayed one nigth at the Fortune Viewkong.
Normal river view rooms are 1100 with breakfast, but at 25 sqm i find such rooms too small, seems they have bigger rooms "Panoramic View Room" 50 sqm at 1700, thus I booked that.
When we checked in we got a normal river view room, thus we ran into a problem with reception.
It dawned they do not have 25sqm rooms, they own a second hotel 500m down the river, Fortune River hotel.
We stayed there before, only problem was the swimming pool was dirty.
According latest review they might have solved that problem, thus if you want a swimming pool there are only two hotels.
Booking.com seems to have corrected this error after I mentioned this.

Our problem got solved: we were upgraded to a suite (the only one they have I guess) on top floor: two bedrooms, two bathrooms with a dining room in between, 100 sqm.
The hotel does need maintenance and no swimming pool, next visit we will go back to the Fortune River.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 15, 2019, 6:39 pm

We made a 2 day trip to NKP and Taht Phanom this week. Easy drive up and back, although there's about 50km of highway that's being widened. There are still 2 good lanes...one each way......and plenty of areas to pass slow vehicles. We again stayed at the River Hotel.....after reconnoitering several other new ones along the river. The River was booked solid except for the honeymoon suite......and being our anniversary, we took it. The hotel has an excellent restaurant along the river and it was very busy on Valentine's Day. Our food and service was excellent and the price very reasonable.
We did an early morning trip to Taht Phanom........4 lane all the way so it was an easy drive. The annual temple fair was going on so there were lots of things to see besides the temple.
As we every trip we make to NKP, we try to see what's become of the old haunts of daze past...circa early 1970's. With each trip, another one bites the dust.....but all in all, the city appears to be thriving. There's a big emphasis on tourists (domestic type) and from the looks of the vehicles in The River parking lot, everyone was an out-of-towner.
The Windsor Hotel is still in operation (although I'd not stay there) but the NKP Hotel is closed and The First Hotel.....well, the photo below says it all.
The city continues to improve the river walk area.....now sporting a spitting dragon in the center of town. More good restaurants also spread along the river area. The city has undergone quite a transformation from our first return visit there in 1996.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 15, 2019, 7:24 pm

It's That Phanom

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 15, 2019, 8:29 pm

I regularly see signs in transliterated Thai and grimace at the thought of pronouncing the words in Thai. Even the Thai government can't come to grips on transliterating their language.......so I usually wing it. There's really only one way to pronounce it, though. ....ธาตุพนม

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

. The River was booked solid except for the honeymoon suite......and being our anniversary, we took it.....

Oh !! You ROMANTIC Devil,Mr Parrot !!! :love: :love: :guitar: :guitar: :censored: :censored:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 15, 2019, 10:11 pm

parrot wrote:
February 15, 2019, 8:29 pm
I regularly see signs in transliterated Thai and grimace at the thought of pronouncing the words in Thai. Even the Thai government can't come to grips on transliterating their language.......so I usually wing it. There's really only one way to pronounce it, though. ....ธาตุพนม
Very true. Anyway, the town is That Phanom and the important Wat is, Wat Phra That Phanom.

That Phanom (Thai: ธาตุพนม, pronounced [tʰâːt pʰā.nōm]) is a district (amphoe) in the southern part of Nakhon Phanom Province, northeastern Thailand. Wat Phra That Phanom The district is named after Wat Phra That Phanom, the most important Buddhist temple in the region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Phanom_District

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 16, 2019, 10:04 am

Although we saw a few foreigners in NKP, there's no question the city is benefiting from large numbers of Thai tourists. The ones who want to visit NKP will also take in Wat That Phanom. The ones who want to visit Wat That Phanom will take in NKP. So easy to do today....with a nicely paved 4 lane highway all the way. I'm not sure how far the 4 lane goes from NKP to Nongkai......I know it's at least partially built. But when that's completed, it will be another opportunity for people to make easy 1 day/2 day trips.
As my wife and I were visiting the spitting naga along the Mekong, we thought back to 1972 when the RTAF conducted bombing runs in Thakhaek, Laos, just across from NKP. The folks in NKP would gather along the banks of the Mekong and chow down on oliang (ice-coffee) and monkey balls (meat balls on a stick). No one seemed to be concerned of the conflict just across the river. Meanwhile, convoys of bomb laden 10-wheel trucks would often be seen passing through the city on the way to the depot on the RTAF Base (joint with US). Those were the daze my friend.

Return to “Travel & Transport”