John's budget build

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Re: John's budget build

Post by ajarnudon » January 28, 2019, 12:18 am

A bit late, but a couple of pics from the 10 days I had on site over Xmas-New Year.
tn_IMG_20181225_130645.jpg
Seems we forgot to run an earth for the main BR air con. No probs, there are ten 15 x 15 cm steel posts all one metre into the ground, all connected via the roof structure, and they are also connected by a 4 sq mm earth cable to the main copper earth stake in the septic absorption trench.
tn_IMG_20181228_155648.jpg
Got a lot more plumbing done, and put in a couple of external taps, which brought the water source a lot closer to the tubs where they are mixing the mortar.
tn_IMG_20181228_155520.jpg
Now have a working light in the downstairs bedroom. Temporarily hooked it up to the power outlet supply box (the lighting box isn't functional yet).
tn_Sandpit.jpg
The foreman's son is playing with the barrow in the sandpit. All of the upper level slabs heve been poured; this ground level area is the last under-roof concrete pour. Ordered another two cubes of sand for the morning. This concrete pour was 4 cubes; if I left it like they had it, it would have been 6 cubes. After the extra fill was spread, plastic sheeting was laid and reo welded in situ and raised with luk bun. To the left is the main bathroom, further left (out of shot) is an indoor garden, pond and waterfall that is integrated with the bathroom. Top of shot is the kitchen/dining area. I have been very lazy with the photography - we are really a lot more advanced than this. I will do some catching up when I am back on site next weekend. Now, completely off-topic, but I will throw it in anyway.
tn_IMG_20190110_183438_BURST001_COVER.jpg
My best mate in BKK is from Uganda. He recently brought this back for me - Ugandan gin with coconut flavour. Superb.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » February 6, 2019, 2:13 pm

Back in BKK again after spending five days working onsite.With five workers, we got a lot done. Just backtracking a little, we poured the lower level floor a few weeks back - kitchen/dining, main bathroom/indoor garden/water feature. This is the last slab until we add a front patio down the track a little.
This time we completed the main bathroom walls and rendered them. On the upper level, the main bedroom/ensuite/walk-in robe walls are 60% complete.
tn_IMG_20190203_104754.jpg
tn_IMG_20190203_120357_BURST001_COVER.jpg
These pics show work on the BR1 door jamb, ties spot welded to the 15 x 15 cm steel column every second block before a 12 mm deformed bar is placed inside and backfilled with mortar. Also framed up two large windows with AAC block bridging the wall cavity.
tn_IMG_20190202_100258.jpg
We have also undercoated around 40% of the internal walls. The downstairs 2BR has been colour coated and the door hung.
tn_IMG_20190205_092921.jpg
tn_IMG_20190202_100216.jpg
Installed the last of the inside roof insulation (3 inch microfiber), and I have to say that it seems very effective.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » February 6, 2019, 10:38 pm

Forgot to put this one in. On the left is a robe with sliding doors, and on the right a cupboard with a hinged door and shelves for clothes, towels, sheets etc. Shelves will be varnished ply.
IMG_20190202_100000.jpg

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » March 25, 2019, 6:42 pm

Back in Udon on the building site for seven weeks, the first of which has just finished. The rear wall is now 100% complete and 60% rendered, and the north wall 80% complete. Here are some photo updates. In the southwest corner, where the sun will come from during the late afternoon for around eight months of the year, I have opted to go with a double AAC cavity wall above sill height for superior insulation. The white panel above the sliding glass door opening on the left, is also double AAC block, but without a cavity. The window opening is 220 x 110 cm looking out across the rear deck, and has a 5 m wide deck roof shading it.
IMG_20190302_134134.jpg
The completed window opening in the rear cavity wall.
tn_IMG_20190319_173647.jpg
The window openings in the north wall being framed up - the main bedroom on the right and the ensuite bathroom on the left
tn_IMG_20190319_172547.jpg
The lintels for the external wall are made of two 50 x 50 mm steel angles welded together, and the next picture shows 12 mm vertical bar being welded between the lintel and the main roof beam as reinforcement.
IMG_20190323_144619_BURST001_COVER.jpg
Next, two panels of glass blocks which will provide natural light for the main bathroom and indoor garden. They are topped with a steel lintel, and 20 cm long steel stubs (12 mm) were welded vertically between each block above to positively locate the blocks, and then the rods mortared in. These blocks have the tops of the webbing cut out and a 12 mm horizontal bar will be welded to the top of each stub and the blocks backfilled with concrete - forming a solid concrete beam at lintel height.
IMG_20190323_130954.jpg
Meanwhile, work on the internal walls of the main bedroom continues. The next picture shows the timber formwork going in place to pour the reinforced concrete arch between the bedroom and the walkin robe. Glass blocks in the rear wall of the robe borrow light from front of house, to be supplemented by LED lights switched by a PIR motion sensor.
IMG_20190302_134024.jpg
And finally, a look at the storage loft above the WIR.
IMG_20190323_121105.jpg

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » March 25, 2019, 7:09 pm

And in the meantime, the missus has been quitely going about putting things together for the new house. Today one of her best friends left Udon with her husband and newborn baby to start a new life in Norway. We are storing quite a lot of stuff for them, but have benefitted by buying this two peice leather lounge suite, glass coffee table, and the table and two chairs - at the bargain price of 6,000 baht (roughly AUD 270). Thank you Mario and Fon.
IMG_20190324_185744.jpg

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

Good progress John.

Whats you planned date for moving in

pipoz4444

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » April 7, 2019, 11:33 am

Hi Pipoz
Hoping to have the external windows and doors in, and the ceiling up by the first week in May. Probably move some furniture in during July. However, I will be commuting to/from BKK for perhaps another 18 months, so will still have furniture in both BKK and Udon until that time. For instance, I have two full size fridges - maybe I will bring the one from BKK to the new house, and buy a small 2nd hand one for the BKK appt. A lot of juggling to happen I think. Probably have the house completed by November, although there will still be lots to do - landscaping and the like. I am in Udon until 6 May - could catch up for a lemonade if you will be around.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 7, 2019, 6:42 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
April 7, 2019, 11:33 am
Hi Pipoz
Hoping to have the external windows and doors in, and the ceiling up by the first week in May. Probably move some furniture in during July. However, I will be commuting to/from BKK for perhaps another 18 months, so will still have furniture in both BKK and Udon until that time. For instance, I have two full size fridges - maybe I will bring the one from BKK to the new house, and buy a small 2nd hand one for the BKK appt. A lot of juggling to happen I think. Probably have the house completed by November, although there will still be lots to do - landscaping and the like. I am in Udon until 6 May - could catch up for a lemonade if you will be around.
Good luck with the move in May

Re. The Landscaping can take years, if you are anything like me and do it at a slower than slow pace, from a distance. At my rate I have another 9 to 12 month, of slow planting and paving. Still not in a hurry, as I need to have something to do in the not to distant future. :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, I wont be back in Udon in May this year. :cry: :cry:

Sometime in May, I will be "Pulling the Pin" on working in this Desert and once I do, I then have to work a two & half months Notice Period without taking holidays. So then I am stuck here, until about end July, before I can leave for good. So probably wont see you until August if that is OK \:D/

Regards

pipoz4444

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 7, 2019, 7:12 pm

John looking good.
I can only 2nd pipozz words on landscaping. Going the slow route as well and it ain’t half hot outside at the moment. And no rain to speak of.
I took your good advice on the can placed on top of the snapped off paw paw tree to stop rot and it is now branching out again.
There really should be a landscape gardening section on UM. Would be good to get tips from I imagine the many gardeners.
My 6 mangoes trees are hangin in and my tomatoes are struggling in the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 7, 2019, 8:36 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2019, 7:12 pm
John looking good.
I can only 2nd pipozz words on landscaping. Going the slow route as well and it ain’t half hot outside at the moment. And no rain to speak of.
I took your good advice on the can placed on top of the snapped off paw paw tree to stop rot and it is now branching out again.
There really should be a landscape gardening section on UM. Would be good to get tips from I imagine the many gardeners.
My 6 mangoes trees are hangin in and my tomatoes are struggling in the heat.

Hi John and Barney

Paw Paw: Have about 40 tress growing at my place. They seem to take like duck to water, without too much care. I have a Man that just comes and sticks 30cm high baby Paw Paw tress in my yard every now and again. Within a year they are producing fruit.

Mango : I usually buy the small trees in a black plastic pot when they are about a meter high. Then dig a 50 cm deep by 40 cm round hole, fill it with the bag potting mix and through in the tree. Give it a drink or two in the dry season each week and leave it alone in the wet season. Then 2 -3 years down the track, it is about 2 meters high and starting to fruit. Not much care from my side

Rambutan: Have had trouble trying to get them to grow. Most have died on me

Mangosteen: Finally getting several to grow. The first batch died on me

Custard Apple: Have a few going well after many years. This one is about 3 - 4 meters high now, but has taken 6 years to get to this stage, from 1.0 meter. Started fruiting last year or the year before, but still only giving a dozen or so fruits each season. Hopefully more each year as time goes on.

Custard Apple Tree in South Driveway 03 April 2019 (1) (S).jpg
Custard Apple Tree in South Driveway 03 April 2019 (1) (S)
Some fruit trees can be hard work :confused: :confused:

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 8, 2019, 5:23 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2019, 7:12 pm
John looking good.

I might start one with this initial link, so others can input their experience with Fruit Trees, Shrubs and the like

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/view ... start=1185

Some info Fruit Trees and insight into how long before they start to bare/give fruit.

Custard Apple Tree: Was about a 70 cm high to start with and was planted back in early 2015. It started giving me a few fruit last year and it appears that it will yield more this year. Now about 2 meter high and has been in the ground for 4 years - Gave its the first fruit after 3 Years.

Mango Tree of some Sorts. Was about 70 cm high when planted in June 2017 and is only just starting to yield a few fruit this year. Now is about 2 meter high and has been in the ground for 2 years - Gave me the first fruit after 2 Years.

Coconut Tree: Was about a meter high to start with (grown from one of my own coconuts) and was planted back in early 2015. Gave me a few coconuts last year and looks like given me a dozen or so this year. Now has a 2 meter high trunk and has been in the ground for 4 years - Gave me the first fruit after 3 Years.

Kaffir Lime Tree: Was about 40 cm high when planted in June 2017. It has now grown to about 120 cm high (with some TLC) mostly in the last 9 months and is now fruiting. Now in the ground for 2 years - Gave me the first fruit after only 2 Years

pipoz4444

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 10, 2019, 7:15 am

Kaffir Lime Tree: Was about 40 cm high when planted in June 2017. It has now grown to about 120 cm high (with some TLC) mostly in the last 9 months and is now fruiting. Now in the ground for 2 years - Gave me the first fruit after only 2 Years

Have a couple here. Fruit ends up in the bin.
Most Thai are only interested in the leaves, some like the new ones, others the old.

Return to “House & Land”