Re: How to have Wi-Fi without using Huawei

Post by runrunshaw » December 27, 2018, 9:17 pm

tamada wrote:
December 18, 2018, 7:49 pm
runrunshaw wrote:
December 18, 2018, 6:39 pm
I know most don't care, but here's an informative article:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... T8GtwIuCjg

I've found a work-around which doesn't involve ZTE. The Thai government, obviously, is in bed with China these days. The ultimate results remain to be seen.
If I continue using my Cisco modem/router at home, it's data still being 'compromised' by whatever Huawei and ZTE hardware the Thai ISP's use, isn't it? I really don't see the OP's need to change his hardware beyond paying heed to some employer's rather hard to enforce directive. I mean are they going to send the Feds around to check or what?

As for the suggestion that,
runrunshaw wrote:
December 17, 2018, 7:08 pm
...two highly-rated, expensive routers, and neither 3B nor True can support them without them first being connected to a Huawei box. The True installer told me the same thing is true for AIS. ...
Assuming the 'Huawei box' is the modem, I used a TP-Link modem/router that I bought in Malaysia on 3BB's service for years until I switched recently. If you get the setup parameters (look at them by accessing the current ISP providers modem configuration and setup login), then use these on your third-party modem. There is talk that binded modems are 'optimized' to match the network they run on which of course could include Huawei's or ZTE's data snooping technology, but I didn't have any issues using the non-binded and 'unoptimized' modem.
The True and 3BB installers tried using both of my new, non-Chinese modem/routers directly, by-passing the Huawei modem. They couldn't get either unit to work and said they weren't compatible with their systems (even though one is sold on Lazada.th). They only way to use either one would be to plug it into the Huawei modem, but what's the point of that? So yes, I would assume the new Huawei modems are "binded."

Years ago, I also used a "third party modem/router" on 3BB by simply plugging it in. All of the recent "upgrades" are changing that. And ZTE is no better than Huawei in terms of being a backdoor channel to the Ministry of State Security.

And guys, it's not helpful to suggest I ignore my company's directives. Want to know why? Meet me for a vodka, but you're buying.

I have multiple careers and travel frequently to China. Things have gone sideways there in the industry I'm working in. Don't ask. I have two Chinese ex-wives to whom I was married for a cumulative 20 years. I've spent a lot of time there, and while I'm no China expert, I'm not an uniformed idiot, either. Well, maybe sometimes.

An old intel buddy of mine down in Bangkok told me the other day, "Everybody is trying to spy on everybody else, but that doesn't mean we should make it easy for them."

So I have to forgo 5G and fiber until I move out of Thailand, which, after ten years here, I'm less and less opposed to doing.

In terms of ZTE and Huawei, this is a current headline: http://news.trust.org/item/20181227081104-uicvv

The best gadget is the human brain.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 28, 2018, 6:06 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
December 27, 2018, 9:17 pm
The True and 3BB installers tried using both of my new, non-Chinese modem/routers directly, by-passing the Huawei modem. They couldn't get either unit to work and said they weren't compatible with their systems (even though one is sold on Lazada.th). They only way to use either one would be to plug it into the Huawei modem, but what's the point of that? So yes, I would assume the new Huawei modems are "binded."

Years ago, I also used a "third party modem/router" on 3BB by simply plugging it in. All of the recent "upgrades" are changing that. And ZTE is no better than Huawei in terms of being a backdoor channel to the Ministry of State Security.

And guys, it's not helpful to suggest I ignore my company's directives. Want to know why? Meet me for a vodka, but you're buying.

I have multiple careers and travel frequently to China. Things have gone sideways there in the industry I'm working in. Don't ask. I have two Chinese ex-wives to whom I was married for a cumulative 20 years. I've spent a lot of time there, and while I'm no China expert, I'm not an uniformed idiot, either. Well, maybe sometimes.

An old intel buddy of mine down in Bangkok told me the other day, "Everybody is trying to spy on everybody else, but that doesn't mean we should make it easy for them."

So I have to forgo 5G and fiber until I move out of Thailand, which, after ten years here, I'm less and less opposed to doing.

In terms of ZTE and Huawei, this is a current headline: http://news.trust.org/item/20181227081104-uicvv
I have done some sleuthing... OK, friendly snooping on google, and getting non-binded, third-party fiber optic modems to play nice on 3BB and other, non-Thai networks isn't totally impossible but does require that you either be or know a serious, serial geek to do the switcheroo. Definitely way, way beyond the the ken of the local ISP's journeyman installer or 'tech'. It looks like something I could probably manage over a quiet, undisturbed, long weekend in the Bat cave but since that isn't really practical or even desirable, I will carry on as normal.

The timing of all these serious allegations may purely be coincident with DJT's current hard-on for fixing the China trade imbalance. The fact that Chinese-manufactured kit has been cheap as chips and fit for task should have been spotted a lot sooner. Maybe it was, but everyone was caught up in the economic upside of buying gear that's a quarter the price of the nearest, non-Chinese rival and this alleged connection to the Ministry of State Security was what Rumsfeld would call 'a known unknown.' Still is IMHO.

As for your line of work, I too did an almost interminable 8 years in mainland China from around 1980 onwards, working in places where 'round-eyes' were all a bit of a novelty. Didn't get married to any of them but the stunning Miss Ya Wen who back then worked as an air hostess with CAAC, had a very, very good run at it. She was simply looking for a meal-ticket and a one-way plane ticket out of there. I heard she eventually captured a really wealthy Hong Kong-based businessman. She must have been gutted when London handed the whole enchilada back to Beijing.

When I get back to Udon, maybe we can hook up, chat and reminisce. You with your vodka, me with my regular dry martini... shaken, not stirred.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » December 28, 2018, 7:26 pm

Tamada, you have a deal.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » January 17, 2019, 10:59 pm

Good article about Huawei in SE Asia.

https://www.foreignbrief.com/tech-socie ... east-asia/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 18, 2019, 7:09 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
January 17, 2019, 10:59 pm
Good article about Huawei in SE Asia.

https://www.foreignbrief.com/tech-socie ... east-asia/
Good read, thanks. I guess China's Belt and Road Initiative has an unspoken IT content.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 19, 2019, 5:56 pm

So Huawei Might Spy on you, but we already Know iPhone does. Polly says it all :D
https://www.rt.com/shows/icymi-with-pol ... rrest-spy/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 19, 2019, 6:26 pm

A bit of fake news from RT - which afterall, is pretty much the official mouthpiece of the Russian government.

Everything I have seen insofar as it relates to banning/restricting Huawei products, refers to their commercial network equipment, and not at the consumer, individual phone level.

I think we all know already - or at least we should - that the pricks can spy on your mobile phone, whatever the brand.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » January 19, 2019, 9:00 pm

Yes, you're correct, RT is Russian propaganda. Anyone who doesn't know that hasn't been paying attention. They are similar to China's Xinhua News Agency, but not as overt about being a mouthpiece for their government. All of Xinhua's overseas reporters are intelligence agents--their offices are located in their worldwide embassies--whereas RT has hired journalists from various countries to try and give them some credibility.

My post isn't about Huawei phones, but the Pentagon has banned their sale at base exchanges at all U.S. military installations. Anyone working in a sensitive position for the governments of the West and their allies won't use them.

The quality of Huawei phones are good; they should be, they stole the technology from the big cell makers and service providers.

I travel to China frequently for business, so I have skin in this game.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/the-risk- ... nhEsvKrnxE

I used to work in Central Asia and often in Kazakhstan. the Kazaks were at the time, the world's worst offender in terms of loading spyware onto your cell phone. China now holds that mantle. If you use a Chinese SIM card, your phone is compromised. If you use your own SIM card and engage roaming services, your phone will be compromised.

The State Department recommends using only burner phones in China, if you're a businessman, or just don't want the MSS to have all of your data.
Attachments
china measures.png

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 20, 2019, 12:58 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 19, 2019, 6:26 pm
A bit of fake news from RT - which afterall, is pretty much the official mouthpiece of the Russian government.

Everything I have seen insofar as it relates to banning/restricting Huawei products, refers to their commercial network equipment, and not at the consumer, individual phone level.

I think we all know already - or at least we should - that the pricks can spy on your mobile phone, whatever the brand.
Agreed that the attention-grabbing news is all about Chinese IT hardware in a large-scale, commercial and industrial roll out. However, since maybe a year now, the geeks (and those with an inner geek) have already been keeping up with the need to do router resets and/or change passwords on non-Chinese hardware. This to kill or block malware threats from alleged Russian hackers and other sources. It's seriously getting to be no fun anymore especially when I can't remember half the bloody new passwords I was urged to make.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 20, 2019, 3:37 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
January 19, 2019, 9:00 pm

The quality of Huawei phones are good; they should be, they stole the technology from the big cell makers and service providers.
The quality of Huawei phones are good and in most reports better than the iPhone and cost $500.00 less.
stole the technology from the big cell makers?

Right, and That's why they now have tons of patents and are years ahead in 5G technology.

As far as News Reporting goes, You don't find it Strange when tuned into any Western reporting, they all read the "Same Script" word for word, for the days top story, usually about Russia or China or Iran, talk about delusional.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » January 20, 2019, 4:50 pm

RLTrader wrote:
January 20, 2019, 3:37 pm
runrunshaw wrote:
January 19, 2019, 9:00 pm

The quality of Huawei phones are good and in most reports better than the iPhone and cost $500.00 less.
stole the technology from the big cell makers?

Right, and That's why they now have tons of patents and are years ahead in 5G technology.

As far as News Reporting goes, You don't find it Strange when tuned into any Western reporting, they all read the "Same Script" word for word, for the days top story, usually about Russia or China or Iran, talk about delusional.
The impression you give is of being an apologist for Huawei, and, by extension the aggressive surveillance practices of the Chinese government. You also seem to be a harsh critic of the Western nations, media, industry, etc. Whatever floats your boat. There's plenty of legitimate criticisms to make about the non-Chinese nations and things they have done---go do it on your own thread.

My thread is about Huawei, and how their practices directly affect people like myself. You refuse to acknowledge that people like myself have legitimate concerns, you just constantly deflect.

BTW, your assertion that "The quality of Huawei phones are good and in most reports better than the iPhone," is a load of crap. But then, you're the guy who posted a link to a Russian propaganda media outlet.

But Huawei phones are cheap, so please go buy a bunch.

From the New York Times:

Secret Back Door in Some U.S. Phones Sent Data to China, Analysts Say

"According to its website, Adups provides software to two of the largest cellphone manufacturers in the world, ZTE and Huawei. Both are based in China."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/p ... urity.html

And boy, those bright Huawei R&D folks never leave the lab, do they? They just crank out patents, all by themselves.

Jury awards T-Mobile $4.8M in trade-secrets case against Huawei

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/t ... st-huawei/

From CNBC:

Larry Kudlow didn't go far enough in expressing concern about China's theft of Apple's tech

Apple has long faced the risk that doing business in China will compromise its intellectual property and trade secrets.

While Apple didn't mention IP issues in lowering its guidance this week, it's an ongoing concern.

White House advisor Larry Kudlow hinted at the problem on Friday.

Larry Kudlow, President Trump's economic adviser, suggested on Friday that China was stealing intellectual property and trade secrets from Apple, which may be contributing to the iPhone maker's financial challenges in the country.

However, he hedged a bit: "I don't want to surmise too much here, but Apple technology may have been picked off by China and now China is becoming very competitive with Apple," Kudlow said.

That was diplomatic of him. Because China is clearly taking Apple's IP and trade secrets and that fact is most certainly damaging the company's business.

This isn't a new problem, and companies know that, to some degree, it's the price of doing business in the world's second-biggest economy. Apple is at particular risk because of its large exposure to China and because of the country's increasingly sophisticated manufacturing sector. Last year, China's Huawei surpassed Apple in shipments of smartphones.

U.S. intelligence agencies and the Justice Department have laid out a long list of the types of concerted hacking and spying campaigns used by China to steal the IP of U.S. tech companies. China and its companies have strongly denied most of these claims over the years, making it hard for U.S. companies to take action. For example, a former Apple engineer was arrested in 2018 and charged with stealing self-driving car secrets. The engineer has denied the claims and pleaded not guilty in a California court.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 20, 2019, 6:08 pm

runrunshaw wrote:
January 20, 2019, 4:50 pm
go do it on your own thread.
Hmm, sorry I had thought this was an open forum that supported Free Speech. Maybe the people that run Udon Thani Forum can Lock your post, where you can spew your deep state BS? Just a thought.

Rule I sometimes fail to remember

"Don't Feed The Trolls"

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » January 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

RLTrader wrote:
January 20, 2019, 6:08 pm
runrunshaw wrote:
January 20, 2019, 4:50 pm
go do it on your own thread.
Hmm, sorry I had thought this was an open forum that supported Free Speech. Maybe the people that run Udon Thani Forum can Lock your post, where you can spew your deep state BS? Just a thought.

Rule I sometimes fail to remember

"Don't Feed The Trolls"
Free speech online in Thailand? Where have you been?
If anything, Udon Map is much more lax in moderating topics than the big Thai forums. In fact, there's virtually no moderation.
My Deep State BS? You're more clueless than I thought.
Once again, all you can seem do is deflect.
Hold up a mirror--you're the troll.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Why would anyone want Wi-Fi without using Huawei

Post by RLTrader » February 2, 2019, 8:46 am

Interesting report from UNZ Review on

Huawei, 5G and the Fourth Industrial Revolution

Shooting Two Feet With One Bullet
Remarkably, only one company owns significant 5G intellectual property, controls its own silicon from end to end, produces all the elements of 5G networks–including proprietary chips–assembles and installs them affordably on a national scale: Huawei.
Huawei employs 700 mathematicians, 800 physicists, 120 chemists and 6,000 fundamental researchers. Among its 87,805 patents, 11,152 core patents were granted in the US and the company has cross-licensing agreements for patents with many Western companies. Your Huawei phone is assembled with just 28.5 seconds of human labor in a high-end automated plant spread over 1.4 square km. Automation and technology upgrades have reduced the staff to 17 yet its more than 30 production lines produce 2 million smartphones every month:
In 2018 Huawei unveiled the world’s first 5G Base Station Chipset, Tiangang, which enables simplified 5G networks and large-scale network deployment. It makes breakthroughs in integration, computing capability and spectral bandwidth and supports the 200 MHz high spectral bandwidth required for future networks while running 2.5 times faster than existing products. Tiangang improves active antenna units (AAU) in a revolutionary way and cuts the weight of 5G base stations by half. Huawei has shipped over 25,000 5G base stations worldwide, deployed 5G networks in more than 10 countries and will deploy 5G in 20 countries in 2019.

Tiangang is not the company’s only trick. Andrei Frumusanu says Huawei’s semiconductor division, HiSilicon, is the only company to provide high-end competition with Qualcomm and, in some areas, is comfortably ahead. Its 7 nm Ascend 910 chipset for data centers is twice as powerful as Nvidia’s v100 and the first AI IP chip series to natively provide optimal TeraOPS per watt in all scenarios. Its 7nm ARM-based CPU, the Kunpeng 920 boosts the development of computing in big data, distributed storage, and ARM-native application scenarios by 20%. Its Kirin 980 CPU is the world’s first commercial 7nm system-on-chip (SoC) and the first to use Cortex-A76 cores, dual neural processing units, Mali G76 GPU, a 1.4 Gbps LTE modem and supports faster RAM. With 20 percent faster performance and 40 percent less power consumption compared to 10nm systems, it has twice the performance of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 and Apple’s A11 while consuming 40% less power. The Kirin 980 fits 6.9 billion transistors on a chip no larger than a thumbnail. Huawei’s patented modem has the world’s fastest Wifi and its GPS receiver taps L5 frequency to deliver 10cm positioning and supports speeds up to 1.4Gbps and 2,133MHz LPDDR4X RAM.

Huawei’s 5G phone will launch in June this year. Apple will release its first 5G handset in September, 2020.
http://www.unz.com/article/huawei-5g-an ... evolution/

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 20, 2019, 10:02 am

Huawei tests Europe’s independence
The UK National Cyber Security Centre has concluded that "there are ways to limit the risks from using Huawei in future 5G ultra-fast networks," according to two people familiar with the matter which has not been made public, The Financial Times reported.

The article comments that the conclusion is "a serious blow to US efforts to persuade allies to ban the Chinese supplier from high-speed telecommunications systems."

As a member of the Five Eyes (the anglophone intelligence alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the US), London may indeed have given a reason for other European countries to continue using Huawei based on the above conclusion.

Not a single country or organization has found any evidence so far demonstrating that Huawei has illegally collected its device users' information. All accusations against Huawei of gathering intelligence for the Chinese government are only based on imagination. London's conclusion provides a reliable basis for third parties to dispel such fears.

Although the idea of Huawei engaging in espionage is technically possible, it does not make any sense from a commercial or political point of view.

Such a practice would be tantamount to suicide for a high-tech giant. If the Chinese government forced Huawei to do this, it would be stifling the country's emerging industries. But intelligence cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Huawei's contribution to China's industrial prosperity and national interests.

Hyping the alleged Huawei threat has violated the basic spirit of seeking truth from facts. The West is prioritizing ideology and considering excluding China as political correctness. Many people in Europe are aware of the lies, but still beating the drum for a certain value orientation rather than conducting an objective analysis.

The world is changing, and if Europe keeps prioritizing ideology and political correctness in dealing with every new situation, that would be dangerous.
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1139283.shtml

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 20, 2019, 11:19 am

A touch of the Mandy Rice-Davies (as often misquoted) perhaps? :D
The Global Times (simplified Chinese: 环球时报; traditional Chinese: 環球時報; pinyin: Huánqiú Shíbào) is a daily Chinese tabloid newspaper under the auspices of the People's Daily newspaper, focusing on international issues from the Chinese government's perspective.[1][2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Times

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 21, 2019, 1:25 pm

The U.S. government was all in a panic back around 2005 when IBM morphed into Lenovo built in China. Repeated technical analysis showed no hidden backdoors built into any hardware or software in those PC's.. I'd say this is much the same.. If the "5 eyes" mob which includes NSA and GCHQ haven't found anything, it's not probable there's anything there... No smoke, no fire..
Dave

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 21, 2019, 2:35 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
February 21, 2019, 1:25 pm
The U.S. government was all in a panic back around 2005 when IBM morphed into Lenovo built in China. Repeated technical analysis showed no hidden backdoors built into any hardware or software in those PC's.. I'd say this is much the same.. If the "5 eyes" mob which includes NSA and GCHQ haven't found anything, it's not probable there's anything there... No smoke, no fire..
but its a Chinese newspaper!
but it uses info from "Financial Times" which is a paid site, so unless you want to pay out some dollars can't check ;)

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 22, 2019, 6:41 am

US Efforts To Block Huawei Gives China An Advantage
The U.S. also tried to press the big European countries to shun Huawei. So far it failed. Germany resisted U.S. pressure to not use Huawei stuff. It fears delays in 5G deployment should it ban Huawei. Yesterday Britain also pushed back:

Britain is able to manage the security risks of using Huawei telecoms equipment and has not seen any evidence of malicious activity by the company, a senior official said on Wednesday, pushing back against U.S. allegations of Chinese state spying.
“Our regime is arguably the toughest and most rigorous oversight regime in the world for Huawei,” [Chiaran Martin head of Britain’s National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), which] is part of Britain’s GCHQ intelligence agency, said at a cybersecurity conference in Brussels.

Asked later whether Washington had presented Britain with any evidence to support its allegations, he told reporters: “I would be obliged to report if there was evidence of malevolence ... by Huawei. And we’re yet to have to do that. So I hope that covers it.”

If Britain, a member of the Five Eyes intelligence sharing group, sees no danger in using Huawei then the U.S. has lost the case.

It is likely that Britain's announcement yesterday prompted this double-pronged U.S. reaction today:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump - 13:55 utc - 21 Feb 2019
I want 5G, and even 6G, technology in the United States as soon as possible. It is far more powerful, faster, and smarter than the current standard. American companies must step up their efforts, or get left behind. There is no reason that we should be lagging behind on.........

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump - 13:59 utc - 21 Feb 2019
....something that is so obviously the future. I want the United States to win through competition, not by blocking out currently more advanced technologies. We must always be the leader in everything we do, especially when it comes to the very exciting world of technology!

Within the same hour that Donald Trump claimed he wants "fair competition" over new mobile technology, his Secretary of State Mike Pompeo attempted to blackmail U.S. allies into not using Huawei systems:

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday warned that the United States would not be able to partner with or share information with countries that adopt Huawei Technologies Co Ltd systems, citing security concerns.

In an interview on Fox Business Network, Pompeo said nations in Europe and elsewhere need to understand the risks of implementing Huawei’s telecommunications equipment and that when they did, they would ultimately not use the company’s systems.

“If a country adopts this and puts it in some of their critical information systems, we won’t be able to share information with them, we won’t be able to work alongside them,” Pompeo said.

... Pompeo's threat is meaningless and will be rejected.
https://www.moonofalabama.org/2019/02/u ... ntage.html

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » March 6, 2019, 9:08 pm

This thread is becoming far too heated. But I will say that I have a brilliant Huawei smartphone using a Google (US) sponsored operating system. And my 3BB wifi router is also Huawei, and it performs great as well. I, unlike the OP's situation, do not have any issues with this whatsoever. My traffic is open for all to see as far as I am concerned. I have a US based Yahoo email address, as well as Google email addresses with Australian universities, and use Google Drive for cloud based storage. I am not naive enough to think that US intelligence services have not been monitoring all my traffic since day dot. But I don't give a s**t - there is nothing that either Chinese or Western intelligence would be vaguely interested in. If your case is different, then take appropriate measures. But I dislike the pot calling the kettle black.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”