udonmap.com

Re: This, That and Another Thing

Post by vlad » February 23, 2019, 6:19 am

Well Well why it had to be a Harley

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 23, 2019, 10:30 am

US $1,000 a month for a 4 person household would be a huge and unpleasant struggle for most farang.

As for the OP, I don't think it's a good idea to move to Thailand with insufficient funds. But then I'm not familiar with how tough living frugally in the US is.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 23, 2019, 3:53 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
February 21, 2019, 1:19 pm
as for the changes in visa rules/regulations/policies, it appears they are in a state of flux.. That'll all work out in the next 6 months I'd reckon.. For the most part what I've seen is the authorities seem to be searching for a way NOT to defenstrate thousands of farang living here, most married to Thais..
Thanks for the link to yellow house book Dave.
And for the bit of positive input.

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 23, 2019, 4:46 pm

GT93 wrote:
February 23, 2019, 10:30 am
US $1,000 a month for a 4 person household would be a huge and unpleasant struggle for most farang.

As for the OP, I don't think it's a good idea to move to Thailand with insufficient funds. But then I'm not familiar with how tough living frugally in the US is.
Yes there are some downsides, a lot of downsides.
For low income I live a well padded life here in the US.

I am not very materialistic minded but there are some things that I have grown to appreciate that cost me a bit. I might not be able to secure these products while in Thailand. I will probe that later.

These are some facts that would involve making a final decision.

I like Thailand, but never the less it has its drag on things. For me self abasement might not be an issue, but necessary indeed for survival.
What I have been dealing with here might be best to separate from even though Thailand has a small bundle of a load to be bared with.
I am not sitting on a nest egg and the amount of environmental stresses here have become difficult challenges to endure.

The control issues in the gamete haven't gotten the best of me yet. I fight them with good stamina at this time but I don't need or want the aggravation and strife in my life.
My right of freedom, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is being buried by tenacious, aggressive and deceitful authorities that are working for a pocket of money and have no value for human life.

The major population is deluded, controlled and in a state of ignorance.
The people make no good sense and don't care to learn.

I am saddened and with many reasons why. I cant bother with details on the matters on the board today.
But Thailand in spite of the difficulties might not be a bad choice if doable.
I guess the worse one could have happen is to have to come back here because you cant get a visa there or die of some sickness which in probability is what will happen to you anyway.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 23, 2019, 5:01 pm

STARS wrote:
February 23, 2019, 4:46 pm
GT93 wrote:
February 23, 2019, 10:30 am

Yes there are some downsides, a lot of downsides.
For low income I live a well padded life here in the US.

I am not very materialistic minded but there are some things that I have grown to appreciate that cost me a bit. I might not be able to secure these products while in Thailand. I will probe that later.

These are some facts that would involve making a final decision.

I like Thailand, but never the less it has its drag on things. For me self abasement might not be an issue, but necessary indeed for survival.
What I have been dealing with here might be best to separate from even though Thailand has a small bundle of a load to be bared with.
I am not sitting on a nest egg and the amount of environmental stresses here have become difficult challenges to endure.

The control issues in the gamete haven't gotten the best of me yet. I fight them with good stamina at this time but I don't need or want the aggravation and strife in my life.
My right of freedom, liberty, and pursuit of happiness is being buried by tenacious, aggressive and deceitful authorities that are working for a pocket of money and have no value for human life.

The major population is deluded, controlled and in a state of ignorance.
The people make no good sense and don't care to learn.

I am saddened and with many reasons why. I cant bother with details on the matters on the board today.
But Thailand in spite of the difficulties might not be a bad choice if doable.
I guess the worse one could have happen is to have to come back here because you cant get a visa there or die of some sickness which in probability is what will happen to you anyway.
Hmm, might not be a bad gamble. You seem to have summed up why I left 14 years ago.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 23, 2019, 5:27 pm

also Stars would look at the thaivisa site for ideas ...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/1-thai ... k-permits/

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 23, 2019, 6:20 pm

Good RL, and I might need some info on products at TV.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 26, 2019, 2:03 pm

Surely there's less freedom and fewer options in Thailand than back home? That's not so important when you're retired but Thailand's red tape is even more of a pain in the arse for younger fellas wanting to do things. It's a strong reason not to be living in Thailand. I find the "authorities" in my country way less of a hassle than the Thai ones when I'm in Thailand.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 26, 2019, 3:33 pm

GT93 wrote:
February 26, 2019, 2:03 pm
Surely there's less freedom and fewer options in Thailand than back home? That's not so important when you're retired but Thailand's red tape is even more of a pain in the arse for younger fellas wanting to do things. It's a strong reason not to be living in Thailand. I find the "authorities" in my country way less of a hassle than the Thai ones when I'm in Thailand.
YOU Must be Joking GT.....I've seen that NZ Border Force on 'Tinternet....Yer can't even take a Bloody Apple into NZ Without getting fined 200 NZ$ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 26, 2019, 4:07 pm

NZers are used to that. You can take processed food in but I'd declare it to be safe. These days they just scan your bags and you usually don't even need to open them.

Doesn't the UK, also an island, have similar rules on food?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 26, 2019, 4:21 pm

That's why I carry my trusty rose-colored glasses.....so when I'm stopped by the police for a traffic violation, I know I can deal with it in just a few minutes......instead of traffic court or raises to my insurance premiums. And when I need an appointment with the cardiologist or neurologist at Bangkok Hospital, I can probably get in to see him/her without an appointment....and not have to wait 3 weeks. And I'd much rather deal with the license/registration office in AEK than walk into a DMV office in the US.
Back on topic.....the dollar/baht is closing in on their lowest levels in a year. Lower still? It's anyone's guess.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 26, 2019, 5:01 pm

Doesn't the UK, also an island, have similar rules on food?.....Well You WON'T Get stopped for carrying An Apple in :lol: :lol:

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 26, 2019, 6:03 pm

You get stopped for other foods coming into the UK as the Great Sausage Incident of 2009 will testify :roll:
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 26, 2019, 10:22 pm

Fruit, vegetables, fish, meat all illegal if not from an EU country ..... But checking is a bit rare.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 27, 2019, 12:09 pm

We have specially trained dogs going over the luggage and often walking among passengers. It's big bucks and serious business.

In the last 5 years a kiwifruit disease got in and caused hundreds of millions of dollars of losses to the kiwifruit industry. Kiwifruit used to be at times amazingly inexpensive here but that's not so now.

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » March 7, 2019, 4:15 pm

another thing
Availability of some products I became accustomed to in the US might not be obtainable easily in Thailand.

If I have to do International shipping, lets say I have an order worth about $150 US shipped into Thailand via postal service, then what the heck are there taxes to pay when received into Thailand? What does the picture of this look like for me?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 7, 2019, 8:37 pm

well, there's Villa down in UD Town.. They've got all sorts of foodstuff products and you can special order.. It'll cost you though.. On shipping stuff in yourself I'd say its a crap shoot.. Some folks stuff arrives just fine with a minimal Customs fee. Other folks stuff never arrives.. Or.. Customs wants some ridiculous customs duty.... Here's Customs website if you want to dig through it.. http://www.customs.go.th/index.php?lang=en&
Dave

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » March 9, 2019, 6:15 pm

Thanks.

I did scope out availability of some things over a year ago, like spirulina is available from Chaing Mai source. I also found that Thailand is selling a matcha green tea stating on the package "tea grown in Thailand" which is another scam because it comes from China where the quality is most likely a health hazard.

I care not to lose the sources I now have, like green tea from Japan and chlorella/spirulina tablets from Taiwan.

I had a behavior modification in the foods I eat, I am a cook and spoiled rotten. I love Thai food but it is down to eating a mango, banana. or some boiled ka na, salads etc..
The food stalls could be a no go now and finding good sources a challenge. I think at Macro they had some selections, at least some dried beans available and plenty of vegetables to boot.

I might adjust well but for sure what I am used to buying here will be nowhere to be found there.

If ordering from Amazon etc.. has some availabilities, still stuck with an expense that becomes unaffordable when hit with duty fees, taxes on postal mail orders.

Have to do more probing into things.

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » April 16, 2019, 4:41 pm

I'm reading back over this thread, cant find it but someone had mentioned reasonable priced housing available in Udon. If you would give me some info, leads on this, it would be very helpful to me. I think we are ready to plan a move back to Udon in about 6 months from now.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 16, 2019, 5:05 pm

เช่าาน อุดร ราคา

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”