British Embassy Bangkok.

General Udon Thani topics only!
AlexO
udonmap.com

British Embassy Bangkok.

Post by AlexO » March 21, 2019, 9:01 pm

This post is for the Brits on this Forum. Just in case you need "consular services"
A couple of weeks ago I checked the Brit Embassy website about getting a Permission to marry Affidavit. Web stated bring completed form, various photocopies and you must have an appointment. Checked the booking calendar on the site and every date this year (2014) was shown as unavailable. Must be some kind of mistake thinks I, so I emailed the Embassy explaining that there is no way to book through the web site, is this a mistake, is this a future requirement not up and running yet, is it still ok to turn up and stand in a queue. Needless to say no response from the Embassy so this morning jumps on an early flight down to Bangers, turns up at the Embassy a couple of minutes after opening time to be told that if no appointment was not getting in to the Embassy. Lady at the reception window said I could speak to a Consular Staff person but only by telephone. Taken by security into a small room inside the first gate but not into the Embassy proper, conversation went as follows.
Me) Hi I have tried to make an appointment but there is nothing available for the whole year. I emailed you but received no response.
Consular Services Guy (BE) That's correct we only release booking dates occasionally.
Me) Sorry explain that one again.
BE) We only release bookable dates occasionally because we are very busy.
Me) OK when do you issue these dates.
BE) There are no fixed dates, (we issue when we feel like it, sounds like)
Me) So how does Joe Public know when you have issued bookable dates.
BE) You have to keep checking the web site!!!!!!!!!!
Me) what time of the day do you issue bookable dates so I know when to check the site.
BE) We don't have fixed times, we issue as they become available.!!!!!!
Me) So that means if you really require an appointment you need to sit on the site every day during Embassy working hours just in case you do something.
BE) I am sorry but that is the System.
Me) Ok is there a waiting list that you can be placed on for the next booking dates.
BE) I am sorry but we do not operate a waiting list system.
Me) So its not really a booking system, its more like a lottery and pot luck if you can get an appointment.
BE) I am sorry but that is our System.
At this point I put the phone down because the veins in my neck were beating big time.
Jist of the above is the Embassy have created an almighty shambles for their Consular Services, it could take months to get an appointment. I am sure that who ever came up with this must have been part of the Brexit negotiating team as well because it's just as half arsed as TM's leave deal.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Re: British Embassy Bangkok.

Post by SJP17 » March 21, 2019, 9:18 pm

Certainly wasnt like that when i did it back in 2011, i just turned up with all the forms and documents and it was done there and then.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 21, 2019, 9:56 pm

SJP17 wrote:
March 21, 2019, 9:18 pm
Certainly wasnt like that when i did it back in 2011, i just turned up with all the forms and documents and it was done there and then.
Spoke to some experienced guys about how it was previously and it certainly seemed to work. You would have thought that because now they dont do Verification of Income letters, there would be a huge amount of spare capacity in Consular Services. But everything they do just seems to make the service worse (passport renewal being a prime example)Must be too many drinky receptions to attend nowadays.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » March 21, 2019, 10:58 pm

AlexO wrote:
March 21, 2019, 9:56 pm
SJP17 wrote:
March 21, 2019, 9:18 pm
Spoke to some experienced guys about how it was previously and it certainly seemed to work. You would have thought that because now they dont do Verification of Income letters, there would be a huge amount of spare capacity in Consular Services. But everything they do just seems to make the service worse (passport renewal being a prime example)Must be too many drinky receptions to attend nowadays.
Yes very poor service if that's the case, you should contact your MP and get him on it, make a direct complaint, it may seem pointless but you need to do something to put the squeeze on them because what they have told you sounds like a cop out !

Either that or its just an employee low down the food chain reading off a script.

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » March 22, 2019, 2:09 am

Canada is just as bad.The job of the ambassador to play golf and drink expensive scotch with the local nobs is expected but when this idea permeates down to the lowest clerk it becomes annoying.They are continually dreaming up ways to do less.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 22, 2019, 9:09 am

It would cost a few bob but I'm wondering if you used an agent they could get an "appiintment" as and when...
Some many moons ago I used an agent for this, they drove me to the Embassy, straight in and in front of Embassy personal. Done in 10 minutes.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 22, 2019, 9:28 am

I checked the Oz Embassy website last night - appointments were available and bookable online for today.

I also looked the the Brit site - the system is a disgrace. The problem is that once you are no longer living in a country, your usual MP has little incentive to listen to you.

I would be trying to take it up with the media - one of the more muck raking types that likes to stick it up the government and Whitehall.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 22, 2019, 11:23 am

I would be trying to take it up with the media - one of the more muck raking types that likes to stick it up the government and Whitehall.......Then May I Suggest the 2 Comics that purport to be MAIN Stream Media.....The Sun & The Daily Mail,with The Daily Express as a 3rd Option.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » March 22, 2019, 5:55 pm

Think RegimeChange
everything for UK & US (include the 5 eyes) will become more difficult for us. Income Letters was just the tip

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”