California Cafe

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
jingjai
udonmap.com

California Cafe

Post by jingjai » July 31, 2007, 5:39 pm

New restaurant, California Caf้ , opened this past weekend. Very good homemade style food! I liked it.
They are open by 8 am. until around 9 P.M. Customers can order anything on menu regardless of time. One can also order food to take out.
Owned and operated by a American and his Thai wife. They lived together in the States for many years, so she knows what she is doing when it comes to Western style food.
They also have some brand new washers and dryers, so you can get your laundry done there also, with good equipment.
California Caf้ is located across the street from the Down Under Bar, next to the 108IT Shop. There is a small sign saying "California Caf้ " with a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Below is a sample of their menu, more items to be added later.

California Caf้

Breakfast

1. Two Eggs, toast, hash browns, coffee, and choice of sausage, ham or bacon……………. 80 Baht

2. Pancakes, coffee, and choice of sausage, ham or bacon…………………………………... 80 Baht

3. Waffle, coffee, and choice of sausage, ham or bacon……………………………………... 80 Baht

4. French Toast, coffee, and choice of sausage, ham or bacon………………………………. 80 Baht

5. S.O.S (Chipped Beef on Toast)…………..………………………………………………… 80 Baht

6. Cereal (Corn or Frosted Flakes and Milk………………………………………………….. 30 Baht

Lunch

6. Sandwich –Choice of ham, ham & cheese, tuna or BLT sandwich, potato chips………… 65 Baht

7. Club Sandwich with Salami, ham, bologna, (cheese 10 baht extra), potato chips………… 65 Bah

8. Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, potato chips…………………………………………… 35 Baht

9. Soup of the day or Tossed Green Salad (choice of dressing………………………………. 35 Baht

10. Soup of the day and choice of sandwich, potato chips …………………………………… 80 Baht

11. Hamburger and French Fries, (cheese 10 Baht extra)…………………………………… 80 Baht

12. Hot Dog and French Fries……………………………………………………………….. 80 Baht

13. Homemade Spaghetti……………………………………………………………………. 55 Baht

14. Beef Tacos (2)…………………………………………………………………………… 50 Baht

15. Side order of French Fries………………………………………………………………. 35 Baht

Thai Food

16. Fried Rice (Beef or Pork)………………………………………………………………. 40 Baht

17. Tom Yahm Goong (served with rice)………………………………………………….. 60 Baht

18. Basil Chicken (served with rice)………………………………………………………. 40 Baht

Drinks

Orange juice…………………………………………………………………………………. 30 Baht

Choice of cup of coffee – Tasters Choice (Regular on decaf.), Arabica, Roast, old………… 30 Baht

Westincafe' Gourmet Coffee………………………………………………………………… 35 Baht

Leo Beer………………………(Small 35 Baht)…………………………………………….. 45 Baht

Archa Beer, Large only…………………………………………………………………….. 35 Baht

Soft Drinks: Pepsi, Coke, Splash (small bottle or can)…………………………………….. 15 Baht

Coke (Large Bottle)………………………………………………………………………… 20 Baht

Bottled Water (small 15 Baht)………………………………………………………..Large 25 Baht

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 31, 2007, 6:53 pm

Good luck to their new venture =D>

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 31, 2007, 7:34 pm

Ahh finally a restaurant that serves up pancakes. And how about that SOS, haven't had that since boot camp. How about it Polehawk :D

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 31, 2007, 10:00 pm

You're preaching to the choir, Rito. :lol: Been a lotta years since I marched through the chow line and had them slap some of that delicious SOS on my toast. =P~ Will have to check it out.

What? No grits on the menu? Well, it does say California Cafe. Thanks for posting their menu, jingjai. Wish them the best of luck.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 31, 2007, 10:50 pm

S.O.S "chipped beef" .....never come across that before so had to google that one,Mmmmm S*it on a shingle, Slivers of beef in a creamy sauce on toast,sounds ok.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

202marcellus
udonmap.com

Post by 202marcellus » July 31, 2007, 11:21 pm

What? No grits on the menu? Well, it does say California Cafe. Thanks for posting their menu, jingjai. Wish them the best of luck.
My fathers side of the family is from the southern US where grits are a part of life. I still eat them frequently on Sunday mornings. Are they available in Thailand. I have never seen them in previous trips. Always assumed that would be one of the things I looked forward to on return visits to the US once I make the move in a couple of months.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 31, 2007, 11:25 pm

beer monkey wrote:S.O.S "chipped beef" .....never come across that before so had to google that one,Mmmmm S*it on a shingle, Slivers of beef in a creamy sauce on toast,sounds ok.
:lol: I was in the Navy and it was regular fare on the ships! :lol: Funny ,we all complained about it all the time!But after getting out of the Navy,we would look for it on menus! #-o :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 31, 2007, 11:27 pm

When ever i hear the word " Grits" i always think of the great film My Cousin Vinny, when they where in the court room and one of the witness's, that was cooking grits(at the time off the supposed crime), and vinny(Joe Pesci) tripped them up on the time it took to cook them....still not sure what they really are. :D
Funny how certain things trigger something off in ones mind. lol

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » July 31, 2007, 11:47 pm

Pole and Papa, Just march on down and get your daily dose of SOS :lol:

Have to agree with Ron on this one, Where are the Grits? :lol:

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 1, 2007, 12:53 am

Have to try it, done a Google like you did BM.
Slop on Shingle.
Sounds good.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Stu
udonmap.com

Post by Stu » August 1, 2007, 1:12 am

If they could replace that "shingle" with buttermilk buscuits, then they'd really have something. :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 1, 2007, 6:35 am

202marcellus wrote:
My fathers side of the family is from the southern US where grits are a part of life. I still eat them frequently on Sunday mornings. Are they available in Thailand. I have never seen them in previous trips. Always assumed that would be one of the things I looked forward to on return visits to the US once I make the move in a couple of months.
TJ's restaurant has grits, had them about 6 weeks ago...

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » August 1, 2007, 11:10 am

I still dont know what Grits are :? could someone please explain in English :oops:

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 1, 2007, 12:12 pm

When I was in Udon Thani during July I missed American food. The closest was a ham and cheese sandwich at Nobi's.

Perhaps that cheese sandwich can be ordered "toasted." If it's an American menu, they should include apple pie, the favorite American dessert.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » August 1, 2007, 12:15 pm

Grits is a type of corn porridge and a food common in the Southern United States consisting of coarsely ground corn.
Ain't Easy Being Me

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 1, 2007, 12:18 pm

Aardvark wrote:I still dont know what Grits are :? could someone please explain in English :oops:
It's a type of corn porridge, eaten with waffles.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » August 1, 2007, 12:34 pm

Yuk, what's wrong with Uncle Toby's Oats :razz:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 1, 2007, 1:17 pm

Prenders88 wrote:
Aardvark wrote:I still dont know what Grits are :? could someone please explain in English :oops:
It's a type of corn porridge, eaten with waffles.
Grits
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the corn-based Southern U.S. food; for other meanings, see Grit (disambiguation).
For the Christian hip hop group, see GRITS.

Grits and a waffle, both topped with butter.

Grits is a type of corn porridge and a food common in the Southern United States consisting of coarsely ground corn. This is similar to many other thick maize-based porridges from around the world such as polenta. It also has a lesser resemblance to farina, a thinner porridge.

Hominy grits is another term for grits, but explicitly refers to grits made from nixtamalized corn, or hominy.

[edit]
Origins

Traditionally the maize for grits is ground by a stone mill. The results are passed through screens, with the finer part being corn meal, and the coarser being grits. Many communities in the Southern U.S. used a gristmill up until the mid-20th century, with families bringing their own corn to be ground, and the miller retaining a portion of the corn for his fee. In South Carolina, state law requires grits and corn meal to be enriched, similar to the requirements for flour, unless the grits are ground from corn where the miller keeps part of the product for his fee.[1]

Three-quarters of grits sold in the United States is sold in the "grits belt" stretching from Louisiana to North Carolina. South Carolina declared grits its state food in 1973, writing, "Whereas, throughout its history, the South has relished its grits, making them a symbol of its diet, its customs, its humor, and its hospitality, and whereas, every community in the State of South Carolina used to be the site of a grits mill and every local economy in the State used to be dependent on its product; and whereas, grits has been a part of the life of every South Carolinian of whatever race, background, gender, and income; and whereas, grits could very well play a vital role in the future of not only this State, but also the world, if as The Charleston News and Courier proclaimed in 1952: 'An inexpensive, simple, and thoroughly digestible food, [grits] should be made popular throughout the world. Given enough of it, the inhabitants of planet Earth would have nothing to fight about. A man full of [grits] is a man of peace.'"[2]

The word "grits" comes from Old English grytta meaning a coarse meal of any kind. Yellow grits include the whole kernel, while white grits use hulled kernels. Grits is prepared by simply boiling into a porridge; normally it is boiled until enough water evaporates to leave it semi-solid. It is traditionally served during breakfast, but can be used at any meal. In some circles, grits are referred to as "Georgia ice cream".
I have never seen grits with waffles,but I have eaten them like a porridge with butter,salt and pepper and fried,served with egg breakfast! =P~

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 1, 2007, 3:32 pm

and fried
so if its like the porridge i know(a thick consistancy of oats) i can't see that you can fry it easily, would it turn out like an egg omlette flat and firm on the out side and soft/soggy on the inside, not sure i like the sound of that but would have a try, its not what i had imagined it was.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 1, 2007, 5:59 pm

Every once in awhile,here in Thailand ,you will see street vendors selling BBQ rice paddies,They remind me of a serving of fried grits inthe way they look!

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”