Yellow House Books

General Udon Thani topics only!
papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 14, 2007, 7:37 am

keg wrote:I don't know much about the yellow book but have some questions. Is it not only a document that registers you to a house that you either own or live in permanently here in Thailand and nothing to do with being a permanent resident of Thailand? I don't think many of us here are permanent residents, but rather live here long term on temporary non immigrant visas. If that is all that it is, why would your home country or embassy be involved?

We have a one year lease on a house here in Udorn but my wife is still on her parents blue book in Loei. She can change her residency to Udorn but can she get a blue book on the rented house, then I in turn get a yellow book?

If you read my thread on "problems obtaining drivers licenses" l posted recently in the immigration section, you will see I had some issues with Immigration and had to bring my land lord there with me in person. I think a yellow book would have eliminated a lot of my problems and may be worth the hassle to get.

Keg
Keg,

First of I'm not an expert on the yellow book, but I went through the procedure of obtaining one and this just my opinion.

To answer the first part of you question the yellow book has nothing to do with having permanent residence. It's an official document provided by the tesaban (city hall) showing proof of residency.

My government, embassy or home country (US) had nothing to do with it. Nor was the process difficult and there was no fee for the service. I also used it to obtain my drivers license (and after reading your post I'm glad I did).

I applied for my yellow book back in July and took about a month to process. The process took about an hour with the official asking my wife most of the questions. The only thing asked of me were my parents names. The following documentation is what I presented:

-Passport: copy of information page, visa page (Non-Imm O), and a translation of my passport information page.
-Copy of Marriage certificate (ours from US, no translation necessary)
-Copy of wife's tabien bahn (blue), including copies of our children's entry in the tabien.
-Copy of wife's ID.
-Copy of two witnesses ID (witnesses are cousins to my wife and present)

The official organized it together along with the application. Each copy provided had to be signed. I signed all that pertained to me, my wife & witnesses signed whatever pertained to them (copy of ID). Also, signatures were required on the application. That was it, tabien bahn should be ready by the end of the week. No fee mentioned, maybe when I pick up the tabien bahn.

Here's another thread on the subject:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... php?t=5304

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 14, 2007, 7:51 am

My understanding,You don't get a blue or yellow book with a rental.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 14, 2007, 9:00 am

BKKSTAN wrote:My understanding,You don't get a blue or yellow book with a rental.
During my research into this, someone had posted obtaining a yellow book while renting a house. Can't remember if it was here or TV, but I believe it can be done. As I understand it there are two choices to be listed in the YB, one as a resident and another as owner. So I don't see why as a renter you couldn't be listed at as a resident, provided the owner will cooperate in the process.

Although I asked to be listed as owner in my YB, I was listed as resident. Don't know what happen there. But it really doesn't matter to me.

keg
udonmap.com

Post by keg » September 14, 2007, 9:14 am

Papaguido, BKKSTAN

Thanks for the responses, it sounds fairly straight forward to get but I'm afraid BKKStans understanding on renting may be right. Has anybody attempted to obtain a yellow book while renting with a long term lease?

Keg

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 14, 2007, 9:32 am

keg wrote:Papaguido, BKKSTAN

Thanks for the responses, it sounds fairly straight forward to get but I'm afraid BKKStans understanding on renting may be right. Has anybody attempted to obtain a yellow book while renting with a long term lease?

Keg
Well I could be wrong unless someone can confirm it. I tried a search for the post on TV and couldn't find it. Anyway, best thing to do is go to city hall and inquire.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » September 14, 2007, 9:57 am

I live in Chiang Mai and I had the same experience as Arjay, just copies of my passport, a letter from immigration,my wive's blue book, a couple of photo's and no money changed hands. :? :?

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » September 14, 2007, 11:57 am

keg wrote:Papaguido, BKKSTAN

Keg
My brother in law is in this situation.
He is renting a house.
He just started the procedure to get the yellow house book.
He already went to the ampreur.
It is perfectly possible to get the yellow book when you rent.
It is only more paperwork and you have to bring the owner of the house with you.
He had to bring his blue house book, copies of his ID, copies of renting contract, witnesses
My advice is let your TW call with the ampreur or go there to ask more info.
It should be legally possible.
As mentioned before in this forum, the yellow house book has nothing to do with Permanent Residence.
It is simply a "Proof" of residence.
So even when you rent, this yellow house book will only proof that you live in a rented house.
Just like when "your Thai Wife" owns the house, this yellow house book will only proof that you are resident in a house owned by your TW.
Simply make the call and check it out.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 14, 2007, 4:43 pm

Thanks cookie,when your renter brother in law has his yellow book,we will have our answers !At least for the anmphor he dealt with! :lol:

keg
udonmap.com

Post by keg » September 14, 2007, 10:49 pm

Cookie,

Thanks Cookie and let us know how it goes. I am just a little confused, you said your brother in law was trying to get a yellow book but said he had to bring his blue book to the amphur. By this, did you mean the land lords or his wifes.

I talked to my wife about it today and she has no idea about yellow books whether we rent or not, she did not even know what a yellow book was. But concerning her and the blue book, as I mentioned before she is still in her parents blue book in Loei. She said in order for her to change to Udorn she would have to be in our land lords book as a resident and she sees no advantage in that and does not want to change. I guess if I want a yellow book my only choice would to be alone under my land lord as a resident and my wife would stay under her parents in Loei. We have had no problems so far with her being under her parents but just have to have copies of her parents book and her page when we do anything. I'm not sure how my land lord or any Thai land lords for that matter, would feel about getting involved with helping their tennants secure yellow books.

I will take the wife to the local Amphur next week and enquire about it and see what they say. You never know!

Keg

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 15, 2007, 8:26 am

FYI,

The source of the following statement provides it's definition of the Tabien Baan. I also found the paragraph in bold to be of interest.

The Tabien Baan, or House Registration Document, is issued by the municipality. It shows who lives at a property (it is not proof of property ownership). It can be issued to residents of Thailand who:

1. buy a lease hold which is registered at the land office
2. own land through a company or buy a condo

A Tabien Baan is useful - and sometimes required - when applying for services. Either the occupant or landlord's document is accepted.

Applying for a Tabien Baan

A Tabien Baan can be applied for or updated at the local Amphur office (or Khet in Bangkok).

Resident foreigners are entitled to a Tabien Baan; the following are required:

* Passport and valid visa
* Plus:
o condo title with their name on it
o or land lease with their name on it
o or land title with company name on it (in this case all the company documents will be needed)

A Tabien Baan is issued bearing the owner's name, except in the case for foreigners when it may only have the location of the property.

On moving out of a property, the Tabien Baan should be given to the new occupants. Take it to the Amphur or Khet (in Bangkok) where an official will enter that the old occupiers have moved out and add the names of the new occupiers.

Although people may stay on the same Tabien Baan for life, it must be issued by the province in which they are resident if they wish to vote. A new Tabien Baan is always needed by the new owners after buying property.

Source:

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/countries/ ... enbaan.asp

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 15, 2007, 9:06 am

If I read this right,you can't get a yellow book with an ordinary 1 year rental agreemwnt!It sounds like it has to be over 3 year lease agreement that in order to be valid ,need to be registered!
OR,maybe ,if you register your regular rental lease agreement,that would qualify!
The one thing that seem for sure is,ownership is not required!
Thanks Rito!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 15, 2007, 10:09 am

BKKSTAN wrote:If I read this right,you can't get a yellow book with an ordinary 1 year rental agreemwnt!It sounds like it has to be over 3 year lease agreement that in order to be valid ,need to be registered!
OR,maybe ,if you register your regular rental lease agreement,that would qualify!
Thanks Rito!
Where are you reading this from (bold)

Ownership is not required by the definition in my previous post. However, the local Amphur may have there own definition and/or policy :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 15, 2007, 11:40 am

if you built or bought or paid for you house, you own it, so make sure you get put on your house book as owner, not resident, will solve some landlord issues, as you don't have or need one. don't let anyone tell you in udon it can't be done, they are lying, that includes your wife or gf if she says it can't be done. the amphur office in udon will do it.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 15, 2007, 12:47 pm

papaguido wrote:
BKKSTAN wrote:If I read this right,you can't get a yellow book with an ordinary 1 year rental agreemwnt!It sounds like it has to be over 3 year lease agreement that in order to be valid ,need to be registered!
Thanks Rito!
Where are you reading this from (bold)

Ownership is not required by the definition in my previous post. However, the local Amphur may have there own definition and/or policy :D
I remember it from sometime in the past when I was thinking about getting 5 year lease from my landlord.I bellieve it was a posting relating to 30 year leases!

fredro1uk
udonmap.com

Post by fredro1uk » September 15, 2007, 3:55 pm

About the yellow book ,I have not seen anyone mention free hospital care.You register with the Thai n.h.s, we done this at KK hospital and Srinakarin hospital Your yellow book has 13 numbers that you need to register ,you wait about 1monthfor your n.h.s card then you can get treatment, You dont have to be married to qualify for this but you have to have the yellow book with the 13 numbers. fredro

keg
udonmap.com

Post by keg » September 15, 2007, 8:08 pm

Papaguido thanks for the info on Tambien Baans. It definately shows you don't have to own but it is still not crystal clear in a couple of areas and I think BKKSTAN touched on it.

What does "buy a lease hold" exactly mean under who can be issued one? Also, I assume the one year lease agreement I have would suffice under the ducuments required section, but it goes back to what the answer to the first question is.

I am going to try and get to the amphur next week with my wife and ask the question and will post what their response is.

Keg

aku
udonmap.com

Post by aku » September 15, 2007, 9:09 pm

I too have the yellow book and in June when I went to Nong Khai to renew my one year Visa I had this book along with my documents. When the Immigration officer saw the book asked if he could see it. Now this not part of whats asked for when renewing but, I can tell you that he seemed amazed that I had proof of my home address here in Udon and indicated that this was ....good...put a smile on my face. Can't hurt to have it and it just proves that you own a home and here for the long term !
8)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 16, 2007, 8:42 am

keg wrote:Papaguido thanks for the info on Tambien Baans. It definately shows you don't have to own but it is still not crystal clear in a couple of areas and I think BKKSTAN touched on it.

What does "buy a lease hold" exactly mean under who can be issued one? Also, I assume the one year lease agreement I have would suffice under the ducuments required section, but it goes back to what the answer to the first question is.

I am going to try and get to the amphur next week with my wife and ask the question and will post what their response is.

Keg
It pertains to leasing land.

"Leasing is one option for a foreigner to acquire land. The maximum duration of a lease under Thai property law is 30 years, with a possibility to renew again if agreed. This is the least complicated option for a foreigner to have a right of usage of land. The land lease over 3 years must be registered at the Land Department."

http://www.siam-legal.com/land/land_foreigner.html

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 13, 2008, 5:48 pm

Ok guys I have read the entire thread I'm definetly convinced to get one for myself.

Guys this is not me my wife still tolerates yours truly.

Situation is farrang a divorced changed from marriage visa, to retired single visa.

He does not have the house book, but does have lease, no way is the ex going to ign anything for him.

He needs to renew his drivers license and is running into nothing but flack at the transport office.

Can he get the yellow book?

I tend to believe he can after reading the thread, but hey I'm old.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 13, 2008, 6:31 pm

Bump wrote:Ok guys I have read the entire thread I'm definetly convinced to get one for myself.

Guys this is not me my wife still tolerates yours truly.

Situation is farrang a divorced changed from marriage visa, to retired single visa.

He does not have the house book, but does have lease, no way is the ex going to ign anything for him.

He needs to renew his drivers license and is running into nothing but flack at the transport office.

Can he get the yellow book?

I tend to believe he can after reading the thread, but hey I'm old.
Whoever your friend is leasing from would have to provide a copy of their blue book and be available to sign document(s) at the Amphur office.

BTW, with all the BS about obtaining a DL I'm surprised more Expat residents are getting their yellow book. It's free, except for maybe on hour of your time.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”