Laos VIsa Cost

Information & Travel
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Laos VIsa Cost

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 29, 2006, 10:50 am

I read on one of the forum posts that someone was charged 1,700 bht for their Laos visa at Friendship Bridge.

We went yesterday, the dreaded visa run, and although the sign on the window states US$35 for Britain and USA passport holders (US$30 for other nationals all of which I can't remember) they still charged me 1,500 bht. So they're still overcharging a little. It does state US$1 extra for weekends.

Not sure what the exchange rate is but if it was 40 bht to the dollar, US35 would only be 1,400 bht...... Never mind perhaps I should put myself out and take US$ next time.......

Oh and BTW the immigration guys were perfect gentleman to both my wife and myself...."How are you today" was the first comment to me and the wife said they spoke very nicely to her. Guess we caught the right people at the right time..........

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 29, 2006, 12:10 pm

I thought about putting this post in the "Thailand Visa Issues" section but decided against it as its about "Laos Visa's" and therefore I felt it to be general information................

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 29, 2006, 1:14 pm

The last time I went to Laos (3+ months ago) the Laos visa on arrival was $30 week days and $31 weekends.

If you buy American dollars before you go (mobile exchange truck on the bridge) you save a few hundred baht because the visa office exchange rate is 50baht for $1.

From the looks of it the visa has gone up by a couple of hundred baht but nothing crazy so not really worth worrying about.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 29, 2006, 1:21 pm

Its gone up US$5 but only for select countries, probably the countries most people are from who cross the border. I can't remember which ones, the wife read them out, but the US and Britain are definitely 2 of them

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » November 29, 2006, 8:58 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:Its gone up US$5 but only for select countries, probably the countries most people are from who cross the border. I can't remember which ones, the wife read them out, but the US and Britain are definitely 2 of them
$5 usd = 181 baht - This is a strange one, guess the price depends on where you cross. :?

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 24, 2007, 7:44 pm

bring USD before going it cheaper that way have fun

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » July 24, 2007, 7:53 pm

I think it is US$30 for Australians because we paid for thr bridge and US $35 for other falangs. Weekday prices.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Robtaff
udonmap.com

Post by Robtaff » January 14, 2008, 5:37 am

When you buy the visa into Laos how long does it entitle you to stay there for?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 14, 2008, 7:26 am

30 days

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 12, 2008, 1:23 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a multi-entry visa to Laos?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » April 12, 2008, 2:17 pm

According to the Laos Embassy (BKK) website there is:

Multiple entry visa:

* available only from the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lao PDR.

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 12, 2008, 4:54 pm

papaguido wrote:According to the Laos Embassy (BKK) website there is:

Multiple entry visa:

* available only from the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lao PDR.

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/
Thanks for the link, I had read it but it's a bit ambiguous in as much it doesn't say what categories its available for, but does say under cat: B3, visit visa.
"Subject to payment each entry" I was wondering if anyone had been down that road?Thanks.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 12, 2008, 5:56 pm

I saw they do have a Transit Visa: http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/consular%2 ... mation.htm
"* Maximum five days for stay (in Vientiane only).
* Proof of an entry visa and air ticket to the third country."
Which would defer the cost, and more importantly, for me anyway, the hassle of flying into Bangkok and connecting to say an international destination like Vietnam, Cambodia, or China. I'm not sure of what other direct international routes go out of Vientiane?

I think the best will be to talk to the people at the Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen.

Also this: "All types of visas are issued for one entry and must be used within two months of issue date." Which answers a question posed in another thread, about the length of the visa validity for a visa issued at the consulate in KK.

I couldn't find anything on the multiple entry, except them saying that Laos has one. :?

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » April 12, 2008, 6:10 pm

A multi entry visa, is only applicable to a business visa, or a marriage visa.

A 30 day visa, can be extended for a further 60 days, upon application to the tourist police in Vientiane only, this extension costs $2 US a day.

P.S. Overstay will cost you $10 per day, NO MAXIMUM!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Return to “Laos”