Automobile window tinting & Auto A/C

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
jingjai
udonmap.com

Automobile window tinting & Auto A/C

Post by jingjai » January 3, 2006, 4:09 pm

Does anyone have any recomendations or experience on where I can get the windows tinted in my automobile?
Also, the same for my auto A/C.
Thanks.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » January 3, 2006, 5:07 pm

There are many shops between the charoen hotel and prince prajak round-about. I can't remember the name of the shop I used, however beware, take your wife or let your wife visit alone, otherwise you may get ripped off. These shops have a tendency to overcharge, especially to farangs, so it may be a good idea to get a few quotes before purchasing.

lee

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 3, 2006, 6:11 pm

Two pieces of advice.
One: the police have told me that there are plans afoot to crack down on mirrored style film as not only is it a hazzard to other road users when it catches the sun, but also it is impossible to see who are how many people are inside the vehicle.

Secondly - beware the dark fil is a nightmare to drive at night. So much so I almost always drive with the window down. Its bad enough driving in Udon without being hindered by black windows you cant see much out of.

I got mine done at one of the shops Lee recommends and as he said - take a thai there to do all the talking and bargain hard.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » January 3, 2006, 6:59 pm

I have no ideas about where to get it done in Udon, but a Honda dealer told me the recommendation was no more than a 25% tint to the front windscreen, and no more than 50% tint to the rest of the windows, which is what I have. That way you can still see either side at junctions at night, without having to open the windows!! :lol:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 3, 2006, 7:23 pm

My front screen is untouched apart from a narrow sun shade across the top of the window. Of all the windows you should have unhindered vision - its the front one !

From the shopping mall head down to the lights with the flower stall on the corner, go straight over that junction down to the next lights. Straight over that junction too (it bends slightly to the right) and on that small road between the junction and the roundabout are many customising shops - as mentioned above. the one I used was on the left hand side about half way down with lots of alloy wheels and pick up awnings outside.

Paul

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » January 3, 2006, 8:14 pm

Sorry, you're right. I should have said my front screen is untouched, but that the shaded band across the top section is either 10% or 25%. The rest is 50%.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » January 3, 2006, 9:18 pm

From a safety aspect, the previous posts have got me wondering how easy or difficult it might be to remove this film once it is fitted #-o

As it appears that some of the films do restrict vision, particularly at night, it may be a safety measure that some members might be interested in.

Anyone any experience of this?

allen
udonmap.com

Post by allen » January 3, 2006, 10:32 pm

Jimbo,
It is not usually hard to remove if you do three things.
1 Make sure it is warm. Only try it if the windows are warm like sitting
in the sun.
2 Pull up a corner and spray a dish detergent and water mix on the
back while slowly pulling it down.
3 Keep the whole window wet while pulling off the film.
If the film has been on a long time you may have to scrape some areas with a razor blade, but if you keep the window wet it is real easy.

Regards
Allen

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » January 4, 2006, 12:07 pm

jingjai,I did have the dark tint until very recently when i changed to a miirror finish.The very dark film is a hazard at night and not good at keeping heat out.The whole pickup,including a very light windsceen tint and the whole Carryboy was 5000 Baht.Wife had her Accord done for 4000 Baht(Also mirror finish)

As for the legality i am of the belief mirror film was illegal for taxis and minibuses to protect passengers from theft,but this has recently been downgraded.(along with staying in the right hand lane too long and driving with red plates at night etc)

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » January 4, 2006, 3:00 pm

Thanks for all the information, it's been very helpful. I'm most interested in keeping the heat out, from what I've read, I think the mirrored finish will do the job. Someone once told me the window tint from 3M works the best.

valentine

Post by valentine » January 4, 2006, 5:23 pm

I have" Merridium "brand, solar refelecting tint, a little more expensive but not very dark at all, and certainly reflects the suns heat away.It is listed as coming from USA, don't know if this is true or not.Available at many places around town.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » January 5, 2006, 1:26 pm

I forgot to say that the brand of film we used was called Hi Kool,made in the USA and so relatively expensive.Excellent for keeping out the heat.They do a range of six tints from very slight to almost mirror.Now I have the ac on a notch lower on average and no more cooking when you first get in the car.

Your stardard dark film i think is a couple of thousand Baht.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”