Premier League 2017-18

General sports news and discussions.
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Re: Premier League 2017-18

Post by Brian Davis » September 12, 2017, 5:19 pm

goodison wrote:
September 12, 2017, 6:40 am
...... Just hope Brian didn't hear Shebby Singh's comments on Palace : " Doesn't matter who the Manager is, you can't turn Donkeys into Thoroughdreds"
Ah yes, Shebby Singh. His comments wouldn't concern me. Who remembers him suggesting in all seriousness that Steven Gerrard should be played at right back? Steve McMahon nearly fell off his chair and asked Shebby if he'd been having some sherberts in the bar beforehand. :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 12, 2017, 6:41 pm

"Crystal Palace have sacked Frank de Boer after only 5 games in charge."

New info just leaking out that FdB was actively trying to replace "The Crystals" in the window with something a bit more dutch :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6sKMU985g
11RonDeB.jpg

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 13, 2017, 9:42 am

"New info just leaking out that FdB was actively trying to replace "The Crystals" in the window with something a bit more dutch :shock: "

I can't possibly imagine that most wouldn't prefer the English version there!
But the Crystals or Crystal Palace Ladies FC seem more likely to make one smile than the men's team at present. :-k

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 13, 2017, 9:58 am

So it IS Hodgson. I'm not so sure that somebody his age shouldn't be retired in the sun somewhere like me :lol: .

Also appointed, Ray Lewington, who I've always admired and liked. It's years back that I watched him working impressively with players at the Mitcham training ground.

Both men, therefore, have Palace and local roots.

Guess I should be grateful that the Club hasn't farted about for weeks finding replacements, although there was talk of a Freedman/Hodgson meeting at Biggin Hill Airport before Frank got the boot.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 14, 2017, 6:47 pm

err so did Alan Pardew :oops:

"Roy Hodgson has been promised a £40m transfer budget to revamp his new Crystal Palace squad in January."

That should REALLY give him a chance to bring in HIS type of player then ](*,) :fryingpan:

Just a SMALL selection of what he could have got during the last window ....

Nathan Ake 20m
Michael Keane 30m
Danny Drinkwater35m
Tiemoue Bakayoko (chelsea squad player) 40m
Juan Cuadrado 17.3m
Mamu Sakho 26m (perhaps Woy could ask KlipKlop for his money back)
Jordan Pickford 30m
Kelechi Iheanacho 25m
Harry Maguire (defensive kingpin that helped Hull get relegated last year) 17m
Victor Lindelof 30.7 m :shock:
Mario Lemina (WHO?) 20m
Kevin Wimmer (not good enough to be a squad player at the spuds) 18m
Sam Clucas (another who masterminded Hulls relegation and on showing v the Toon was worth 50p) 16.5m
Marco "Elbows" Arnautovic 25m

Might have got Jonny Evans if you offered Pulis the full 40m and a night in with the crystals :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 14, 2017, 7:31 pm

Jeeeeeezus ....... FFS IT'S A 'KIN FOOTBALL MATCH ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :confused:

Next they will have all supporters sign an agreement when purchasing their ticket, that they won't actually open their mouths during the game :roll:

It's fun ....... it's banter ..... I've been called everything under the sun (and that was BEFORE I started posting on UM), It didn't matter, coz everyone was doing it. Nobody actually thought that I was a "Q*eer Geordie dressed in stripes" (well except Justin my boyfriend at the time :oops: )

When will the powers that be have the guts to tell these lily livered do gooders that ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

If Joe Public actually cared about all this they wouldn't watch the likes of Richard Keys and Andy Gray week in week out.
Racism/sexism/homophobia have ALL been human traits since Homo Sappian first met Homo Errectus or since God made Adam and Eve different and then one of her sons managed to continue the human race when there was only his DAD MOTHER and BROTHER around :-$ ..... bet the father and either Kane or Abel were outside singing "we know what your doing"

Rant over .... sorry, but these OTT reactions just make me wanna puke

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... h-brighton

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 15, 2017, 7:36 am

fixtures.png

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 15, 2017, 3:44 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
September 14, 2017, 6:47 pm

err so did Alan Pardew :oops:

"Roy Hodgson has been promised a £40m transfer budget to revamp his new Crystal Palace squad in January."

That should REALLY give him a chance to bring in HIS type of player then ](*,) :fryingpan:

Might have got Jonny Evans if you offered Pulis the full 40m and a night in with the crystals :lol:
Thanks for cheering me up, Statto. :lol:
At least Pardew lasted longer than De Boer! Both, I thought, were meant to take the Club forward, combined with a change of style. Palace was certainly more 'expansive' (that was the word, wasn't it?)under Pardew, but at cost. De Boer? - hardly time to tell and we may never know the truth behind his very quick departure.

Certainly frightening to think that these days 40 million might only get you a big toe and probably from a standing leg!

Sakho? Hang on, only a few games last season before injury, but very influential in Palace's survival and close to being voted Player of the Year! My concern, following events at 'Pool, is that his discipline off the pitch might not be all we hope for.
And following your "FFS IT'S A 'KIN FOOTBALL MATCH", didn't you mean Pulis and a night in the Crystals? :-"
Palace has somehow ended up with Brighton as the hated rivals.I sense there could be further arrests for, ahem, 'banter' forthcoming when the teams do meet.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 15, 2017, 5:37 pm

This weekend I think both Crystal Palace and Bournemouth will get off the mark,although wether or not they both win is another matter !
As regards 70 year old Roy Hodgson taking over at Palace,well,Hodgson looked a broken man after Englands dismal exit from Euro 2016.Wether or not he has recovered from that remains to be seen.
De Boer could have been a disaster or a great acquisition at Palace but we will never know and sacking someone after just 4 matches is ridiculous.The roles of both Parish and Freedman should be brought into scrutiny imo.
Incidentally,you can see plenty of "broken" 70 year olds shuffling around Udon.....They are called Expats ! :D

statto appears to have been in a state of high excitement on the footie forums this week ! Is it because Newcastle have broken into the Top 10 of the Premiership ? If results go there way this weekend they could well be in a Europa League spot bringing back memories of the halcyon days under Pardew ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 15, 2017, 5:59 pm

There's a post on Youtube that was done just after the fixtures got released ........ The guy predicted each weeks results and updated the table to reflect his predictions. By the end of October Newcastle had sneeked into a Euro spot (4th or 5th I think), but by the end of the season they had managed to slide to last and get relegated :roll:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 16, 2017, 6:52 am

Bournemouth 2 1 Brighton and Hove Albion
Bournemouth come from behind in a far better second half of a game.
Defoe netted the winner & his first for the club. However man of the match was ex-Pool winger & substitute Jordon Ibe. He has had a forgettable time with Bournemouth since arriving last year for £12M & the side must hope this is the start of better things from him.

The result does heap even more pressure on the new Palace manager later today as they remain the only side yet to gather any points in the Premiership this season!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 16, 2017, 8:59 pm

FULL-TIME

Crystal Palace 0-1 Southampton
No instant magical bounce for Uncle Roy..
Palace went behind right at the start of the game & were on the back foot for most of the first half. They improved after the break &, again, had a couple of clear cut chances to score but couldn't put them away.
Sadly they set a record of losing the first 5 games without scoring a goal. I imagine that Roy will strengthen the defending, but how he will manage to find regular goalscorer looks a far harder task!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » September 16, 2017, 11:15 pm

England - Premier League September 16
FTCrystal Palace 0 - 1 Southampton
FTHuddersfield Town 1 - 1 Leicester City
FTLiverpool 1 - 1 Burnley
FTNewcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City
FTWatford 0 - 6 Manchester City
FTWest Bromwich Albion 0 - 0 West Ham United
23:30Tottenham Hotspur ? - ? Swansea City

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 17, 2017, 6:26 am

BobHelm wrote:
September 16, 2017, 8:59 pm
FULL-TIME

Crystal Palace 0-1 Southampton
No instant magical bounce for Uncle Roy..
Palace went behind right at the start of the game & were on the back foot for most of the first half. They improved after the break &, again, had a couple of clear cut chances to score but couldn't put them away.
Sadly they set a record of losing the first 5 games without scoring a goal. I imagine that Roy will strengthen the defending, but how he will manage to find regular goalscorer looks a far harder task!!
Palace fans have had to retain a sense of humour over the years, but this is being stretched to the limit, when watching is miserable and frustrating. For some time now, the Club just seems to move from one crisis to another. Perhaps I've lived with Thais too long, but I'm thinking Selhurst is cursed. :-k 8-[ Who's going to bet against the team not losing the next three too? I think I'm correct in saying Benteke is the only available, recognised striker. Blame must fall upon the Club for failing to sign any goalscorers in the last two (maybe it's even three?) transfer windows.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 17, 2017, 8:44 am

The late match finished Tottenham 0 Swansea 0,so Spurs have still to win a Premier League match at their new Wembley home.They enjoyed 75% possession and had 26 shots to Swanseas 4 but could still not find a way through Swanseas resolute defence.A good attendance of 65,366.
Similar to the Liverpool game where the Merseysiders could still not find a winner despite dominating the game.
The Spuds and Liverpool already 5 points adrift of leaders Manchester City and losing ground on the big four.....Citeh,United,Chelsea and Newcastle ! :-s
I watched most of the first half of Citehs game and they absolutely murdered a previously unbeaten Watford side.Aguero and Jesus as the strikers with de Bruyne just behind,as good an attack as anyone in Europe.
Also watched Palace v Southampton.....a pretty poor game,I thought.Yes,Palace only have Benteke as a striker and if opponents can keep him quiet or he has an off day then its hard to see where a goal for Palace will come from.
Palaces two best players were their loan signings Loftus-Cheek and Fosu-Mensah and the team didn't play nearly half as well as they did in their previous game against Burnley.
Southampton weren't much better but had the man of the match in their summer signing from Juventus,Lemina.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 18, 2017, 7:53 am

score.png
score.png (8.76 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Chelsea hammered the Gunners for the first 20 or so minutes & it looked like only a question of how many they would win by. However they failed to score & the visitors started to believe that there might be something in the game for them too.
Arsenal will go away from the game much happier than Chelsea will be. A disappointing game for the home side, first 20 minutes excepted, Arsene back in favour with his fans....for now! :D

Everton came to defend & that plan fell apart after only 4 minutes when Valencia scored his goal for the season. The visitors had some chances (via Rooney) to get one back but, realistically, this was all one way traffic. In a late blitz United scored 3 more to make it a bit of a rout.
On this showing it is obvious to see why the Toffees have failed to score. They are desperate for an out & out striker & Rooney is someone who manages on the opportunities that presents, rather than being one himself these days..

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 18, 2017, 9:41 am

Hang on a minute. Admitting I have minimal interest in any other team than my own (get your tissues out in sympathy :lol:) but didn't Everton spend millions and millions?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 18, 2017, 9:55 am

But, sadly for them, they spent zip on a striker.
They sold the only striker they had (for £75M) & only replaced him with a freebie. :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 18, 2017, 1:11 pm

Chelsea 0 Arsenal 0
Quite an entertaining game and a fair result.Chelsea did start the better but Arsenal improved as the half wore on and should have led at half time through Ramseys effort that hit the post......Courtois was the busier of the two keepers in the first half.
In the second half Chelsea forced the Gunners on the back foot through sheer determination but I can only remember a stinging shot from Hazard that forced Cech into a good save.No doubt it will be pointed out to me that I missed most of the action in the second half when I went to get a beer out of the fridge ! :D
Luiz was a tad unlucky to be booked for dangerous play when his overhead kick caught Koscielny but then was rightly red carded for a stupid foul on Kolasinac that gave the ref no option but to send him off.

Manchester United 4 Everton 0
Great start for United with a fantastic goal from Valencia after 4 minutes and United looked really good for the first 25-30 minutes.But thereafter they allowed Everton too much possession and de Gea had to make a couple of smart saves.
Three goals in the last 10 minutes was a bit harsh on Everton but it could have been worse if Lukaku would have scored from a chance that 80 year old Sir Bobby Charlton would have put away in the first half and Mata not hit the post with his free kick.
I thought Rooney was Evertons best player,not that that is saying much and I thought Lukaku was,overall,quite poor for United.
Everton are toothless in attack and teams don't mind giving them possession as they don't offer much danger.How much have they spent on players in the close season ? Over 150 million ? But they have failed to replace their only quality striker and are now paying the price.
Their last 4 results tell their own story.....0-2,0-3,0-3 and now 0-4.......3rd from bottom of the Premier League.

747man has been very quiet on the footie forum the last few weeks......is he still "under moderation" or should that now read "under sedation" ?? :wave:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 18, 2017, 2:32 pm

Only saw the first half of the Man U game, and must say I was SHOCKED to see that Lukaku got 3 Bonus points on FF. When I turned off the only way I could see him getting even ONE Bonus point was to score a hatrick (at least) , as his first half showing was somewhere between woeful and pitiful :shock: Having seen the "highlights" which showed his goal & assist I am now completely convinced that the guy who works out the BP system MUST have a well known Bank a/c number ............. the only other possible answer is that it is done by computer programme which would only crunch a batch of useless numbers rather than giving an actual assessment of the players performance. =;

Rumour going round ...... not sure how true, but Wemberlee staff are going to give free tickets to Tennis fans :shock:

Tickets in question are for seats behind the goals, and reason being that Tennis fans already suffer neck ache from watching their sport, and are less likely to sue after watching Tottenham play. With arguably the best strike force in the country (Kane Ali Eriksen & Son) one wonders why then, that Dire (not a miss spelling), Vertongen, Sissoko, Sanchez. Trippier and Alderweireld spent so much of the match passing the ball sideways/backwards and occasionally forward among themselves first right to left, then left to right, then right to left, then left to right.
The introduction of a bit of quality late on (Aurier) managed to prove that he cant dive with even a little credibility and that he does not possess the ability to cross a ball (I counted 8 attempted crosses with 3 hitting the guy directly in front of him and the other five failing to get beyond the first defender at the near post :evil: Perhaps they play the game differently where he comes from :roll:

Return to “World Sports”