Rabies in Udon ?

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
timmy
udonmap.com

Rabies in Udon ?

Post by timmy » April 5, 2018, 7:27 am

does anybody know of any Rabies cases in Udon ? as the wife got bit by a soi cat yesterday , she phoned the private clinic we use and they said she needed the rabies injections but they did,nt have the drugs and told her to go to the goverment hospital as they stock the drugs needed , we were thinking of a very long wait as the goverment hospital is always so busy . but the doctor saw her stright away and started the injections , 7 injections latter over 2 hours job done , she has to go back for 4 more injections over the next 2 weeks . cost her 30 baht in total . " so be careful out there you never know " ...

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Rabies in Udon ?

Post by parrot » April 5, 2018, 7:38 am

The attached article talks of suspected rabies affecting the death of 9 cats in Nonghan, Udon. Another report in early March said no cases........but that was nearly a month ago
www.news1live.com/detail.aspx?NewsID=9610000032080

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 5, 2018, 7:48 am

It is certainly a worry Timmy & not worth the risk of it being just an angry animal rather than a rabid one.

I am certainly not a medic, but understand that the anti-rabies injections are always effective as long as taken immediately when bitten. It has a good success rate as long as being taken with 6 days of the attack.
Untreated rabies is almost always fatal once neurological symptoms have developed...

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2018, 8:53 am

Strangely at our place in town, we’ve had to register our dog with the Tessabahn providing a photo of the dog, a copy of its rabies vaccinaction card and a copy of the wife’s ID. At our place out of town we haven"t had to show anything at all but as the dogs were vaccinated they were given tags to put on their collars so we’ve put those on. Wonder what the difference might be between in town and out of town and what they will do if there is an outbreak?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » April 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

timmy , because your wife had the rabies injection is not really cause for concern,it has been my experience over some 20 years , that the hospitals automatically administer the injections ,because you can never be sure , ,it doe's not mean there is an outbreak anywhere near ,but always err on the side of caution ,they used to come round with the free injections every year ,(out in the sticks ) but i've not seen any for a few years now , so i automatically get my dogs vaccinated every year ,Stay safe out there ,

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » April 5, 2018, 3:02 pm

As some of you might know i LOVE beeing out riding my bicycle and listen to some good Blues music in my DAP..But the last month i see more then before,dead dogs lying at the side of the road.Maybe a coinsident,but i think that maybe Thais have read the Rabies outbreaks and now get scared to be bitten by a soi/stray dog..What you think dear UM readers?

Have a nice and rabies free day ;-)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 6, 2018, 9:08 am

Vince Munday. What Tessaban in town requires registration?? I live in Tambon Nong Bua and although the various village officials have blathered on about "pet taxes" nothing substantive has happened with that or any push towards animal control, vaccination or registration..
Dave

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 6, 2018, 9:42 am

Our place in town is Amper Muang, not far from UD Town, the lady who runs the village (if you can call it that) made us all register our dogs and those who hadn’t had their dogs vaccinated were asked to do so, quite forcibly too. She advises us it’s because of the rabies, nothing to do with any taxes but TIT right? Out of town we are not far from Srithani Golf course in Ban Tad, we’ve been asked to do nothing here at all, not sure why there should be a difference.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 6, 2018, 9:55 am

Mrs tam went to the vet on the east ring-road, roughly opposite the Romyen entrance and got the pre-loaded hypodermics and did both our dogs by herself. The vet filled them from the vaccine bottle he kept in the fridge. I guess this method avoids getting a customers dog all upset and the vet possibly getting bit? No certification and/or registration and 60 baht a pop.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 6, 2018, 10:04 am

We had to give a copy of our vaccination card too and they were both given a dog tag showing they were vaccinated against rabies, 60 baht is bloody good though, we use AEC vets for our dogs opposite Big C Nadee and I think we pay 600 baht or so.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 24, 2018, 7:13 pm

Not in Udon, but just next door in Nongkai
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30343859

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 24, 2018, 7:51 pm

Vince Munday.. sounds like you have one of those seldom found very proactive and forceful village chiefs (Pu Yai Ban) that is actually leading.. I'd like to see the same in our village but doubt it will happen....
Dave

Return to “Health & Beauty”