Sexing Tilapia

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Sexing Tilapia

Post by vincemunday » September 28, 2018, 8:43 am

I've built Fa a fish pond to grow Tilapia, we've stocked it and it's running nicely, however there's a question I keep getting asked time and time again and it's about sexing the fish. Apparently fish don't become male or female for a while after they are born and we are being told that fish farms determine the gender by feeding the fish hormones making them all male to ensure maximum growth. This doesn't seem very healthy to me or am I being too sensitive, surely it can't be a good idea to eat fish that are force fed hormones? I'm not interested in a commercial point of view, we are going to eat the fish but does it affect the size of the fish so much?

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Re: Sexing Tilapia

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » September 28, 2018, 9:54 am

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 28, 2018, 1:43 pm

Vince

Most of the commercial farms don't sell females as they want your repeat business but you can buy from the Government Fisheries office at Nong Prajak but very very small fish 3 to 6 mm only just fry not fingerings and about 100 baht for 1000

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

Yeah I got unsexed ones and after reading some of the above there's no guarantee which will be bigger, my home made filter is working great and the water seems quite clear, fingers crossed.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 28, 2018, 2:12 pm

vincemunday wrote:
September 28, 2018, 1:50 pm
Yeah I got unsexed ones and after reading some of the above there's no guarantee which will be bigger, my home made filter is working great and the water seems quite clear, fingers crossed.
Vince, can you please keep us updated on the pond/fish/filters etc. Had to fill in my small koi pond when little un started to crawl/toddle, but still interested in all things aquatic :lol:

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 28, 2018, 3:02 pm

Stats if you're in or around Ban Tad just pop round and I'd be happy to show you what we've done, it didn't cost bundles and going by the website above we seem to have done things quite okay, we've only lost 7 out of 120 fish so far (after 3 weeks) which is quite good apparently. Just call 0910575550 to make sure we are in.

Return to “Open Forum”