Snakes!

General Udon Thani topics only!
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Snakes!

Post by vincemunday » October 6, 2018, 7:56 am

I've moved out to the countryside and have a bit of land with an 8' wall around it and a gate that only has minimal clearance underneath. In the last 6 months I've had 7 snakes of various varieties and I was catching and releasing until I found out that one of them could have killed me so now they get mullered. I have 3 dogs, one of them is a soi dog and she's very good at finding them but I always call her away because I don't want her getting bit. Has anyone got any ideas on how to keep them out? I've already been told chickens but I hate them and my soi dog would kill them anyway.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Re: Snakes!

Post by Hoopoe » October 6, 2018, 8:54 am

Post a sign on the walls , but it must be in Thai language , , i've tried many different ways to prevent them , but hey it's a losing battle , i've finally got the owner of the land next door to clear it ,( it's fcking jungle ) i hit him in his wallet claiming his jungle had damaged my garage roof , so the moral is , Keep surrounding areas clear ,as snakes don't like open spaces , it will reduce the amount of visit's , worst times , start and end of rainy season ,

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 6, 2018, 9:50 am

chickens?????that did make me laugh vince, i think that would attract them if anything,if you can train them to carry a machete or uzi you might be in with a chance,failing that i,d go with hoopoe suggestion :D ,joking aside think best thing you can do is try seal everything off and have no overhanging trees/bushes ,saying that ive seen them climb up a vertical wall,if they want to get in i think they will , good luck
killer-chicken-creative-design-95406823.jpg

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 6, 2018, 12:39 pm

Lol I've just heard another Thai solution, apparently if I grow yellow flowers, they don't like yellow apparently! Apparently chickens do help, they eat baby snakes.... I don't know, perhaps I'll just buy a longer machete.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » October 7, 2018, 8:40 am

I remember buying some snake repellent from the old Daiso shop in central where mothercare is now,it was a packet of pellets (60 baht), might be worth having a look in any of the Daiso shops

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 7, 2018, 8:49 am

vincemunday wrote:
October 6, 2018, 12:39 pm
Lol I've just heard another Thai solution, apparently if I grow yellow flowers, they don't like yellow apparently! Apparently chickens do help, they eat baby snakes.... I don't know, perhaps I'll just buy a longer machete.
they might eat baby snakes , but chickens attract giant snakes , quite a sight watching a whole chicken being swallowed .
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 7, 2018, 8:56 am

vincemunday wrote:
October 6, 2018, 7:56 am
I've moved out to the countryside and have a bit of land with an 8' wall around it and a gate that only has minimal clearance underneath. In the last 6 months I've had 7 snakes of various varieties and I was catching and releasing until I found out that one of them could have killed me so now they get mullered. I have 3 dogs, one of them is a soi dog and she's very good at finding them but I always call her away because I don't want her getting bit. Has anyone got any ideas on how to keep them out? I've already been told chickens but I hate them and my soi dog would kill them anyway.
If your wall is unbroken they may be coming thru your grey water /drainage pipes Vince .. put some small grade steel mess at the head of the pipes . Get a Jack Russel dog ..mine has come out on top with most adversaries to date ..snakes , rats , Tookars , tho he has also depleted the local chicken population some what .. i have heard GEESE are good snake spotters as well as guard from other intruders.

Other creatures to be wary of

CANE TOADS are also very dangerous for both humans and pets as they secrete poison from glands behind their ears ..rather like some of the "ladies of the night" in soi samphanit my JR got a shock when trying to dine out on one .. ( a cane toad NOT a Samphanit lass)

HORNETS .. In village locals burnt out a huge nest resulting in numerous children n dogs being stung , My jr had the night in hossy after only 4 stings , other dogs died and a child was admitted to hossy .. the venom in the sting makes the muscles contract and seize up , shaking and heart failure ..scary stuff .

LEEDS UNITED FANS and SHIRTS .. always to be treated with caution as can result in major arguments and violence.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 7, 2018, 10:07 am

before when we lived baan noak we did get also many snakes, from poisonous (spitting )cobra's, banded krait, chain viper,...to innocent water snakes , rat snakes ...,so i have caught many using a snake catcher made of pvc pipe ,
https://www.en.siam-info.de/venomous_an ... tcher.html, and released them back in the rice field , i do not kill them (i am more Buddhist than my wife :D )despite i even got spit in the eye by a spitting cobra once....
so before any snake approaching now i always put some glasses on , and remember to keep your distance , as striking range of a snake = mostly half of the body length , so striking distance of a snake 2M long = 1M ...
no magic to keep them out !(snake repellents do not work ),so be careful...as info .. ;)

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 7, 2018, 11:33 am

Thanks Kopkei, I think I'm going to keep killing them, a village guy reckons they remember where they're from and come back anyway.

Been catching and releasing the cane toads but I'm sure they're coming back too.

My wall is complete but I've noticed some.gaps either side of the gate, I'll block them and see how that goes.

Also been told to watch out for the greater spotted Millwall supporter Jon but I'll try to catch and release them because by experience the mugs never remember where they're from anyway.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 7, 2018, 1:08 pm

Defo the snakes will be coming thru your drains Vince ..

I thought both the greater and lesser spotty Millwall supporter were virtually extinct nowadays.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 7, 2018, 2:02 pm

Well quite a few expert opinion and ideas here on how to prevent or get rid of snakes. Post has certainly given me a smile.

Vince you have given plenty of ideas from the local neighbour, I think your new village friend is having a lend of you. But as long as you both have a laugh.
1, Chickens, papa has already told why chickens may not be the answer, Guinea foul are a more likely deterrent as they will work as a group and be loud and let you know, plus snakes love bird eggs and the young chicks.
2, Yellow flowers? I don't know if any one has done a snake colour blind test yet. But maybe
3, Snakes remember. MMMmmmmm, would need to see the clinical test results performed first.
4, Snake repellant. Snakes probably don't smell chemicals like us homosapiens???
Attachments
snake-repellent.jpg

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 7, 2018, 2:18 pm

They're definitely having me over, when I was buying the land they laughed and said I should no wully "no snakes round here!", lying gits... I bet they all have a laugh up the mom and pop shop when they all meet to watch the muay thai and compare the latest cobblers they've just told the ungit man to get rid of his snakes. Its great, I love living here and its marvellous we get on well enough they can pull my leg.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » October 8, 2018, 9:05 pm

vincemunday wrote:
October 7, 2018, 11:33 am
My wall is complete but I've noticed some.gaps either side of the gate, I'll block them and see how that goes.
Most of the cases snakes find a "ladder" from your walls other side. Other way is gate, because not so big clearance needed. 5 mm and you get 1.5 meter snake inside. Most of the really harmful snakes are smaller in real life. In movies 2-3 meters, but in real life less than one meter. Remember MOST.

I just know, somehow, that 5 mm clearance between door and floor brings snakes about 1.5 meter (skin) and of course smaller inside the house.

I like our snakes and one reason is that 3 meter long rat snake eats some small more harmful snakes (and rats). or course there is a problem to get a individual cobra to chase our rat snake. It did eat some keelbacks and other harmless snakes and also rats. Good inhabitant, but made some noise in the attick sometimes.

One thing you should remember that it is nature and means that law is based on nature. If you kill a snake, there will be other snake getting that area. Always. You will have snake around your house/garden always. You just need to decide, if you give that space for a big harmless snake or wait a small venomous snake to come. Usually it is 20-30 meters diameter for the area one snake needs. That means that we have 2-4 snakes living around here permanently. newcomers will be noticed by our dogs.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 10, 2018, 3:40 pm

Think about what a snake needs - food and shelter. Keep the grass and weeds short and avoid too much litter in the garden providing hiding places. If you do want to kill them, first learn to identify them -here is a good starter site -

https://www.en.siam-info.de/venomous_an ... ommon.html

Remember most are harmless (in 8 years only had one poisonous one in garden). If you feel you do need to kill a snake, I think the Isaan hoe is the best tool - if not too big!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » October 11, 2018, 5:13 am

If you dont want snakes on your property , get a couple of Thai ridgeback dogs .
Siberian huskies are also good hunters , but high maintenance in Thailand.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » October 11, 2018, 7:31 am

Dont know about Siberian hounds Doug!
Our Mongrel will kill a snake regular.She will dodge the snakes jabs and picks a time to grab it .
Then shakes it so hard breaks its neck. Never seen a large snake here .Mostly small and apparently not fatally poisenous

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 11, 2018, 7:40 am

I've got a doberman who is absolutely useless, she walks up to the snakes and tries to sniff them but maybe that's because she's from the UK and she'd never seen a snake before we got here. We have a rottweiler, things aren't looking good there, she's also a sniffer but she's still a puppy so there's hope. We also have a soi dog, heaven knows what she's made up of but so far she's spotted a few snakes, tookays and a huge centipede, she's far better at spotting the nasties than the other two combined... so far....

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2018, 8:42 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
Defo the snakes will be coming thru your drains Vince ..

I thought both the greater and lesser spotty Millwall supporter were virtually extinct nowadays.

DM
Nah... it's the Striped ones that are seeking World Wildlife Fund protections. Hard to work out why they're so endangered though.
lions are haters too.jpg
Ya think?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2018, 8:46 am

As mentioned start/end of rainy season sees more snakes than you can shake a machete at. They are also sensitive to vibrations which they use to detect dinner so maybe there's some other natural critters that's 'attracting' them that need relocating or eradication first?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”