Suspected mass cremation sites found in the woods in Udon

Udon Thani news, views and comments
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 22, 2016, 8:19 am

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/160527
The illegal graveyard is located on a plot of 1-2 rai of cleared land in a thinly forested bushes in Ban Kambonmeechai. A shrine and many items for worship were found scattering on the land plot.

Dr Thaweerat Srikulwong, director of Ban Phue district police, who led a team of hospital staff to the site for examination said that they found 15 suspected cremation sites with bones, car tire remains and some personal items.

He said that the bones were both old and new. They were collected for further examinations at the hospital.

Pol Lt-Gen Boonlert Jaipradit, commissioner of Region 4 provincial police bureau, said that forensic experts would try to determine whether the bones belong to humans or not after which police would investigate if there were any missing people in the past several years.

He also asked for people whose relatives have gone missing without traces to report to the police to provide information to the police.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 22, 2016, 1:06 pm

My wife was telling me stories over our morning cupa about the frontier justice system in her very small village many many years ago outside Nonghan. Get caught stealing a water buffalo, raping a village girl, stealing valuables, etc........and justice was served. The severity might depend on the crime, might depend on the village.

Don't know if a similar modern style system existed in the story above......but I'll be interested to follow updates. From the news I read about Udon/surrounding areas, I have to say Ban Puea seems to have a good share of the crime stories.....lots of drugs included.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 22, 2016, 3:35 pm

There used to be a way if the family could not or would not pay the cost of a temple Cremation, just go into the woods and do a homemade cremation, that apparently was legal . That some years ago, now I have no idea if that practice is still carried out but asking if people are missing seems a little silly as this seems to be a place where homemade cremations were carried out, people are missing , yes they died and the family sorted it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 22, 2016, 4:14 pm

Khun Paul wrote:this seems to be a place where homemade cremations were carried out
I'm not sure the authorities would agree with you.......at least just yet

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 22, 2016, 7:13 pm

Tyre pyres point to murder-for-hire cops

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/943801
Watch Me!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 24, 2016, 6:59 pm

seems like it was common knowledge to the locals who kept their mouths shut.. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... bones-site
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 24, 2016, 7:34 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:seems like it was common knowledge to the locals who kept their mouths shut.. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... bones-site
Way back in 1998, my wife and I stopped at a village Dam Sang (Order as You Wish) restaurant. My wife stayed in the truck while I sat at a small cement outside table and watched the cook make my order of fried rice. The cook's wife was at a table inside feeding her two children.
A man walked up to the cook and shot him twice.....and proceeded to walk back to his truck, parked just around the corner from where we stopped. I literally jumped out of my sandals (left them there), got into the truck (in the wrong side......having only been here a year, my brain was still thinking stateside left-hand drive), jumped over my wife's lap, and raced down the highway to the nearby police station. I told the police what happened......and quickly realized they had no interest in what happened. I called our neighbor, then a high ranking officer in the Thai Army...and was told to leave it alone. I spoke with neighbors in the village and realized they were not concerned. The story was.....true or not.....the cook was dealing drugs to passing truck drivers. He was told to stop......a few times....before being shot.

That same day, two other 'drug dealers' were shot in town....same sort of thing. This was in June 1998.....the supposed drug war (2000+ dead) didn't start until 2003.

I can easily comprehend that villagers in some remote part of the province might keep their mouths shut about others who have met their karma....especially if some phuyai suggested they not make a stink about it.

Life in Thailand.....isn't always what it seems to be.

Return to “Udon Thani News”