Taking tight fistedness to the extreme

Thailand news, views and comments
Zidane
udonmap.com

Taking tight fistedness to the extreme

Post by Zidane » July 25, 2017, 8:22 am

My wife told me about this story which has been on the Thai news....

A bus conductress in Bangkok found a passenger had left a bag on the bus.When she opened it she found it contained some money.....well,quite a lot actually.........1,120,000 baht to be exact. :confused:
Being honest she took the bag and its contents to a police station where it was traced to a wealthy doctor living in Bangkok.
The grateful doctor rushed to the police station to get his money and thank the bus conductress.

My wife then asked me "What do you think was her reward ?"
I reckoned it wasnt going to be good so I said 10,000 baht knowing this was on the low side.
But I was way out.....do you know what he gave her ?.......two bags of crisps [-X what a xxxxxx!

A true story.I'm sure someone like parrot could find it on a Thai speaking website ;)

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Taking tight fistedness to the extreme

Post by parrot » July 25, 2017, 10:10 am

The thairath story doesn't talk about a 'reward'......I'll try to dig into other stories this evening to see what sort of crisps were presented.
https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1013785

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 25, 2017, 11:53 am

But there's another perspective, too. Honesty is its own reward. We do some things for ourselves, not because we are concerned about what others think, or, in this case, for the reward. Are you polite because that's the way you want to live, the person you want to be, or because people may get pissed off if you're rude?

I'm not saying which is "right" or better, not advocating for either perspective, just pointing out another way of viewing the situation....

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 26, 2017, 11:08 am

Zidane wrote:
July 25, 2017, 8:22 am
My wife told me about this story which has been on the Thai news....

A bus conductress in Bangkok found a passenger had left a bag on the bus.When she opened it she found it contained some money.....well,quite a lot actually.........1,120,000 baht to be exact. :confused:
Being honest she took the bag and its contents to a police station where it was traced to a wealthy doctor living in Bangkok.
The grateful doctor rushed to the police station to get his money and thank the bus conductress.

My wife then asked me "What do you think was her reward ?"
I reckoned it wasnt going to be good so I said 10,000 baht knowing this was on the low side.
But I was way out.....do you know what he gave her ?.......two bags of crisps [-X what a xxxxxx!

A true story.I'm sure someone like parrot could find it on a Thai speaking website ;)
This demonstrates that the Japanese approach is probably the best to ensure that lost cash is usually handed in and reunited it its owner. As there is a well defined reward and abandonment process.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » July 27, 2017, 3:43 pm

Addendum this tale.. for sure two of the world's expensive packets of crisps.. but to spoil the outrage actually she gets awarded by court 10% of the handed in loot.. so its not as it seems.

Also she has received a special gift from an individual..

How many would have kept the loot from a bus with no CCTV to prove anything.. ;-)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 27, 2017, 6:04 pm

and as Paul Harvey would say, "now you know the rest of the story" http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... sh-rewards
Dave

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 27, 2017, 6:14 pm

The real story is that this woman is a very honest woman and there should be more of it.
She would have gone to hand it in most likely with no thought of reward as she did not know who was the owner.

I'm sure that most people including UM members would be as honest as her. One big tick for the good guys and gals in the world.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » July 27, 2017, 6:19 pm

As she received her special gift with her family from an individual today, she was in tears while learning and practising the hand ceremony. She said no amount of money could ever equal that special tribute the day before a certain birthday.

Despite the doctor's statement in the BKK Post.. I am journalistically advised from Bangkok that the 10% rule stands.
Out the thread..

Return to “Thailand News”