The best drugstores in UT

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
thex
udonmap.com

Post by thex » October 21, 2012, 8:08 am

Thanks to Paul for the message regarding Wattana.

What and where are the best drugstores in UT?

I don't need special medication, just good advice/service/price and to be told when I need to see a doctor instead of being sold something.

Thanks.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 21, 2012, 9:50 am

thex wrote:Thanks to Paul for the message regarding Wattana.

What and where are the best drugstores in UT?

I don't need special medication, just good advice/service/price and to be told when I need to see a doctor instead of being sold something.

Thanks.
Sorry Thex...but this is Thailand. The pharmacy clerks are there for only one reason...to sell you something. Don't expect to get health counseling from them, and it's best to enter the store knowing full well what you need and desire to buy. They are for the most part uninformed and will simply push their most profitable medicines. If you know what you want and are looking for excellent prices, go to the wholesale pharmacy (also retails) on Phosri Rd. Coming from Big-C heading toward town, they are on the left about 100 meters past the red light at Nong Bua Rd, which is the first red light coming from Big-C. You can usually park along the curb, and double parking is not usual in that area for a quick in and out. If you want to pay more but get better counsel you can look for Somchai's Pharmacy in Central Plaza or see him in his main pharmacy on Phosri near Nong Prajak Park. The old man and his kids who manage some of his stores speak good English. Perhaps another forum member can enlighten us as to his exact location. Good luck!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » October 21, 2012, 10:01 am

semperfiguy wrote: If you want to pay more but get better counsel you can look for Somchai's Pharmacy in Central Plaza or see him in his main pharmacy on Phosri near Nong Prajak Park. The old man and his kids who manage some of his stores speak good English. Perhaps another forum member can enlighten us as to his exact location. Good luck!
SFG, surely you mean 'Somsak'? if so, then I totally agree with you... he's a little more expensive than most places, but he knows what he's talking about and is extremely polite.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 21, 2012, 10:21 am

Stevo wrote:
semperfiguy wrote: If you want to pay more but get better counsel you can look for Somchai's Pharmacy in Central Plaza or see him in his main pharmacy on Phosri near Nong Prajak Park. The old man and his kids who manage some of his stores speak good English. Perhaps another forum member can enlighten us as to his exact location. Good luck!
SFG, surely you mean 'Somsak'? if so, then I totally agree with you... he's a little more expensive than most places, but he knows what he's talking about and is extremely polite.
Sorry 'bout that folks. You're exactly right Stevo....I meant to say Somsak! Thanks for the correction.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Post by hermajesty » October 21, 2012, 5:43 pm

NE corner of Udon Dutsadi (the road to Nong Khai) and Phon Phisai, across from Talat Baan Huay is a great pharmacy. He speaks very good English but he doesn't think he does and his wife speaks perfect English. I don't generally use pharmacies for advice about when to see a doc so I can't speak to that. I think a good pharmacy is essential when living overseas, at least the places I have lived. This one qualifies for me for sure.

I don't know it's name... sorry. It does have a sign out front that says in English "Consult Your Pharmacist".
On the map it's on the line of P&R/10, right where that 7 Eleven logo is.

HM

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » October 21, 2012, 7:24 pm

I second hermajesty's suggestion. Very helpful and knows what he is talking about. He also speaks good english. His wife is from the Philippines and speaks english fluent.

thex
udonmap.com

Post by thex » October 22, 2012, 7:41 am

Thanks all.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 22, 2012, 3:17 pm

I stopped by Somsak's Pharmacy on Phosri Rd today to buy some Celebrex (300 baht per 10). He's an enjoyable person to talk with........lived in Udon all his life, so he's knowledgeable about most anything Udon. He is one of (about) 7 certified pharmacists in Udon. According to him, pharmacies without a certified pharmacist in the store aren't supposed to sell prescription medicine, but they commonly do......lax law enforcement.

According to the law, he explained, if the certified pharmacist is not on duty, the pharmacy is supposed to display a sign to that effect (he has one behind the counter along with all his diplomas). And when the certified pharmacist is not present, the pharmacy is not supposed to sell prescription medicine. That's what the law says.....but he admits that there are many 10's of pharmacies in/around town who skirt this law. FWITD, Dr. Somsak received his degree from Mahidol University.

His daughter is a pediatrician, and is due to open a clinic next door to Somsak's pharmacy in the near future. That should be a positive addition to the medical landscape in/around Udon.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”