The Taxman

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

The Taxman

Post by parrot » December 27, 2018, 7:46 pm

While having our Revo serviced at Toyota Shin Nont (near Toolpro) today, I browsed the new vehicles on display. If I were buying a new vehicle in some-state-USA and the sticker price (not including tax) said $30,000 but the tax on the vehicle were 2.5% or 4% or 10% or 20% or 25%, I'm pretty sure my purchase would be determined at least in part by the amount of tax I was paying on top of the sticker price.
In Thailand, tax is included in the sticker price. I was surprised by the low tax schedule against a standard cab Toyota 4x4 (2.5%), more surprised by the mere 4% against a Camry hybrid, and also surprised at the difference in tax between a Revo 2 door smart cab (4%) and the same Revo 4 door model (10%).

Having bought 4 new trucks since we moved to Thailand.....against 2 cars and one truck while living in the US, I'll take the Thai way any day over the American way. Way back in 1995 while on a visit, we visited a Toyota dealer and inquired about the price for a truck. It was something like 400,000. I asked about all the dealer prep, delivery, service, and other added fees. The saleswoman said 400,000. I suspected there was something lost in translation......but that's how the Thai system works. Actually, better than that. The drive-off price included insurance and a pot full of add-ons.
Attachments
Sienta 25%.JPG
Revo Standard Cab 2.5%.JPG
Revo Rocco 10%.JPG
Revo Prerunner Smart Cab 4%.JPG
Revo double cab 10%.JPG

saint
udonmap.com
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: The Taxman

Post by saint » December 28, 2018, 5:17 am

They consider and tax , including road tax , a four door , five seats pickup as a sedan . Hence the extra purchase tax .
Nice to see them doing their bit for the planet , with a reduced tax on hybrids . However if you buy one , good luck !
Toyota charge something like 100,000 baht to change the battery pack on a Camry if it fails after 5 years , 50,000 if it fails before 5 years. .Also because of this expect higher depreciation than the petrol version .

747man
udonmap.com

Re: The Taxman

Post by 747man » December 28, 2018, 10:48 am

Toyota charge something like 100,000 baht to change the battery pack on a Camry if it fails after 5 years , 50,000 if it fails before 5 years.

That's Nowt, There's a Newish LEVC Taxi ( Hackney Cab ) on the roads in the U.K......If the battery pack fails on that ( Out of Warranty ) It'll cost you Just shy of 8,000 GBP ( 320,000 THB )

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”