This, That and Another Thing

General Udon Thani topics only!
STARS
udonmap.com

This, That and Another Thing

Post by STARS » February 19, 2019, 4:46 pm

I just tuned back in to the forum but have over the past years have had some eye at least on Thailand.

747 man just ran his report on boarder cross to Savanakhet for a new multi entry visa.
His info was helpful.

I've been back in the US for eight years. It might be the right time to mosey back to Thailand, not sure yet.
I have to test the waters.

I have been waiting a long time for my SSR yearly increases to bring me to the 40k monthly requirement to obtain a 1 year marriage visa. Now it has hit the goal but with the fluctuation in exchange rates my income brings me just over 40k or just under 40k monthly.

This doesn't look good but at least at Savanakhet now their is opportunity to remain in Thailand without facing the hardships that I endured in the past of returning to the States for multi entry visas based on marriage.
I have to troubleshoot with some questions on the board here to reach a good decision.

How much have living conditions changed over the past years in Thailand?

We no longer have a home so no more house book to show. I know I can obtain a multi entry visa from the NY consulate with marriage certificate and no need for the house book.
I was reading that one could be obtained through a landlord if on a long time rental agreement. Is the house book needed to obtain a multi entry type o visa based on marriage at Savanakhet?

OK people that begins the ball rolling here on the board. More to come on other subjects involved with making the big decision as time progresses.

I notice a few of the good board members still here on Udon Map Forum but where is Bob Helms where about?

Peace,

STARS

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: This, That and Another Thing

Post by Lone Star » February 19, 2019, 5:08 pm

Welcome!

Our monthly expenses are under $1,000 USD. Four people.

But home and all vehicles are clear of any debt. So our expenses are just food and utilities, fuel and vehicle insurance.

Good luck!
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 19, 2019, 5:35 pm

STARS.............How much have living conditions changed over the past years in Thailand?....I Find it Only due to the VERY Strong Baht & Exchange Rate, A Bit more Expensive than 8 Years ago Mate....

Is the house book needed to obtain a multi entry type o visa based on marriage at Savanakhet? Yes Mate & Also a Copy Signed by You're Wife....

I notice a few of the good board members still here on Udon Map Forum but where is Bob Helms where about?....Not Sure But I Think He still lives in Nong Bua.....

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 19, 2019, 5:53 pm

Thank you.

We have to rent a place. Let me clear my mind on this. I was reading that I can obtain a house book (yellow?) through the assistance of the landlord. We will not be able to afford to purchase a home again.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 19, 2019, 5:55 pm

STARS wrote:
February 19, 2019, 4:46 pm

I have been waiting a long time for my SSR yearly increases to bring me to the 40k monthly requirement to obtain a 1 year marriage visa. Now it has hit the goal but with the fluctuation in exchange rates my income brings me just over 40k or just under 40k monthly.
I expect the xchange rate to go down, for the dollar is on its last legs. The rate is at present 31.23
I expect it to continue down. Can thank Trump for speeding up the dollars fall.

Gone up, prices keep rising. The only thing that has come down is gas, same world wide. But for how long? It does not translate to other items, like electric, it seems.

Me, wife, and 11 year old spend around 42+k monthly on just food, utilities, gas, and Miscellaneous items. Would think if I cut some items would still be around 37K. Notice I said "I"

And with the current visa problems (I also tie to Trump and not Health Care and Thai Gov) just might want to wait another year or two. 2021?

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 19, 2019, 6:11 pm

It is a tight squeeze. Ill be back online soon. Thanks for your input..!!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 19, 2019, 6:18 pm

STARS wrote:
February 19, 2019, 5:53 pm
Thank you.

We have to rent a place. Let me clear my mind on this. I was reading that I can obtain a house book (yellow?) through the assistance of the landlord. We will not be able to afford to purchase a home again.
Not sure if you can get yellow house book through the assistance of the landlord. But also don't see the need.

Might want to look into getting a multi entry year visa in states? Think you would need to check Thai Embassy web site in states for requirements. If you can get it would give you a year to figure out what to do next.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 19, 2019, 6:32 pm

Not wanting to sound alarm bells.......but my advice for anyone considering moving here would be to plan on 25 Baht to the Dollar. Anything better than that is gravy. I wouldn't place my bets on the rate improving.....no matter coups, riots, beheadings, or Mike Pence suddenly becoming president.

My 60 Baht bowl of noodle soup (พิเศษ) and ice-tea has been pegged at 60 Baht and 20 Baht for several years. A price rise is overdue. If the price of noodles goes up, most everything else does as well. Visits to the hospital are more expensive......and if you're in the +60 age range, you need to be prepared for emergency medical care, probably much more so if your only means of transportation is a motorcycle.

Visa extensions have been 1900 Baht since 2003......even my price-stable Kellogg's Corn Flakes have gone up in price several times since then. 400k/800k has been the requirement for visa extensions for a long time. There'll be screaming and gnashing of teeth if the requirement goes up, but I wouldn't be surprised. And, whatever happened in Savanakhet today may not be what happens there tomorrow.....especially since Savanakhet seems to be the exception, not the rule.

I've been accused on many occasions of wearing rose-colored glasses......but while it's possible to live here on 40k a month (or less), moving over here to live on just 40k is frightening.....unless you have a wad of cash in your mattress.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 19, 2019, 6:52 pm

Savanakhet today may not be what happens there tomorrow.....especially since Savanakhet seems to be the exception, not the rule......Please DON'T Be saying anything like that,Mr Parrot.....

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 19, 2019, 7:23 pm

Good God this whole world is unstable?
Things change but much of it doesn't seem to register as to the better.
Who knows, crap is always a challenge a bit uncomfortable. It takes firm endurance.
That is if you refuse to close your eyes and remain a no brainer.

Running away appears the best option a lot of times but I am not certain that it is.

I'm trying to see my own way safe and secure as possible which is reasonable, but being aware we know the future isn't always a piece of pie.

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 19, 2019, 7:36 pm

RLTrader wrote:
February 19, 2019, 5:55 pm
STARS wrote:
February 19, 2019, 4:46 pm

I expect the xchange rate to go down, for the dollar is on its last legs. The rate is at present 31.23
I expect it to continue down. Can thank Trump for speeding up the dollars fall.

Gone up, prices keep rising. The only thing that has come down is gas, same world wide. But for how long? It does not translate to other items, like electric, it seems.

Me, wife, and 11 year old spend around 42+k monthly on just food, utilities, gas, and Miscellaneous items. Would think if I cut some items would still be around 37K. Notice I said "I"

And with the current visa problems (I also tie to Trump and not Health Care and Thai Gov) just might want to wait another year or two. 2021?
*I did pick up on this RL " Notice I said "I" " ...The self sacrifice mode can go far beyond my desire and will. It is funny to me though the predicaments that can rise and the dumb stuff my money gets wasted on.

Thanks for your word.

Ha, did I just hear that the price of noodles went up? From 50 cents to $2?

You better be happy with 1 bowl :confused:

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » February 19, 2019, 8:40 pm

Lone Star wrote:
February 19, 2019, 5:08 pm
Welcome!

But home and all vehicles are clear of any debt. So our expenses are just food and utilities, fuel and vehicle insurance.

Good luck!
How do you manage on under 1000 US, do you eat out, do you have kids in school, do you travel much...that’s quite the budget can you elaborate..

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 19, 2019, 9:34 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
February 19, 2019, 8:40 pm
Lone Star wrote:
February 19, 2019, 5:08 pm
Welcome!

Good luck!
How do you manage on under 1000 US, do you eat out, do you have kids in school, do you travel much...that’s quite the budget can you elaborate..
That's 30,000 Baht, I Wish I Got that much in my Pension,I'd live like Royalty !!

STARS
udonmap.com

Post by STARS » February 20, 2019, 4:51 pm

I have to sort info out on this point.
If we have no home and prefer to rent a place then are we able to secure some type of house book in order to get a new one year type 0 multi entry visa based on marriage at Savanakhet?

This is a major point in decision to return. Without going into details, I am not willing to face the hardships over again on returning to the US to do it.

When the answer comes then I need to sort out a few other questions in order to take the next steps.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » February 21, 2019, 10:57 am

I suggest looking around the area before settling on Thailand. The dollar value is not the best. Immigration policies are becoming less falang friendly and who knows what changes are coming after the election.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » February 21, 2019, 11:32 am

Fuel, Internet, Electric, Food, Insurance, Clothing, a modest budget for leisure and dining out + daily 40-50 coffee / ice cream plus various other misc costs that people forget about...

I've no idea how a Farang with a family can live on under $1,000 USD (considering current exchange rate) - At least in Udon Thani.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » February 21, 2019, 1:15 pm

anefarious1 wrote:
February 21, 2019, 11:32 am
Fuel, Internet, Electric, Food, Insurance, Clothing, a modest budget for leisure and dining out + daily 40-50 coffee / ice cream plus various other misc costs that people forget about...

I've no idea how a Farang with a family can live on under $1,000 USD (considering current exchange rate) - At least in Udon Thani.
Lone Star says he can, but then again, he always stretches the truth. I asked him to elaborate, but whenever he is challenged on facts......Silence follows :-"
Last edited by newtovillagelife on February 21, 2019, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 21, 2019, 1:17 pm

Yellow Book tips: http://udon-news.com/en/law/the-yellow-house-book

If you're renting there are numerous decent houses in and around Udon that are furnished listing for quite cheap monthly rents....

Monthly expenses of course can vary.. If you're more thai cuisine friendly, not driving a car/truck, the of course expenses are less....
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

as for the changes in visa rules/regulations/policies, it appears they are in a state of flux.. That'll all work out in the next 6 months I'd reckon.. For the most part what I've seen is the authorities seem to be searching for a way NOT to defenstrate thousands of farang living here, most married to Thais..
Dave

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 21, 2019, 1:31 pm

anefarious1 wrote:
February 21, 2019, 11:32 am

I don't know how to explain it to you other than what I posted. What you are listing are your budgetary items, not mine. I know what I pay out, and I know what I get in return. My budgeting and value shopping are excellent.

I've been very lucky in life and live very well.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”