Multi-grain or whole-wheat Pita bread

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Multi-grain or whole-wheat Pita bread

Post by Ray.Charles » December 8, 2009, 4:52 pm

Would I find it in Udon?

Astana
udonmap.com

Re: Multi-grain or whole-wheat Pita bread

Post by Astana » December 8, 2009, 5:01 pm

Limited but whole wheat in the bakery and whole wheat pita in the deli aisle at carrefour on the ring road

Mr Natural
udonmap.com

Post by Mr Natural » December 9, 2009, 10:56 am

On the subject of bread, if you like bagel's the Top's bakery is now making a variety of fresh bagels daily.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » December 9, 2009, 11:54 am

Chern Chim will be stocking a very good quality authentic pita bread from next week coming in packs of 5 at 100bt

chz jon

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » December 9, 2009, 12:25 pm

Ray charles,just as easy to make your own.....regards.
In Greek: πίτα, pronounced PEE-tah

Many recipes for pita bread require cooking at very hight heat, and home ovens don't always do the best job. This recipe makes soft, white pita rounds that should be brushed with olive oil and grilled, heated in a skillet, or toasted in the oven before using and serving. Serve wedges of this soft bread with dips, as a wrap for sandwiches, and in other creative ways.

Prep Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 cup of warm water
4 cups of bread flour
2 teaspoons of salt
1 cup of warm water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Preparation:
Dissolve in the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water and set aside, covered, for 15 minutes. Dissolve salt in the remaining 1 cup of warm water.

In a large mixing bowl, add flour and make a well in the center. Add yeast mixure and salt water. Knead with hands for 10 minutes in the bowl. Add olive oil and continue to knead until all oil is absorbed. Shape into a ball in the bowl, cover, and place in a warm area to rise until doubled in volume, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Punch down the dough and knead for 5 minutes more.

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C), and lightly oil baking sheets.

Take pieces of dough slightly larger than an egg and roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of 3/8 to 1/4 inch. (For larger or smaller pita bread pieces, take more or less dough). ***** the bread with a fork in several places.

Place on baking sheets and bake at 350°F (175°C) on the lowest oven rack for 2-3 minutes, then turn the pitas over and bake for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a tray covered with a clean dishtowel, with another clean towel on top. When thoroughly cooled, pitas can be stored in plastic bags in the refrigerator, or frozen.

Before using, brown in a lightly oiled frying pan for a few minutes until browned on both sides.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » December 9, 2009, 8:34 pm

Thanks, johnty. I suppose you can use whole wheat flour, as well. Wonder where I can get that. How many and what size you would make with 4 cups of flower?

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » December 10, 2009, 7:08 am

RC,you can substitute brown flour no problem or even50/50 and still get 8 good sized breads don't forget a lot of the time on the recipe is waiting time so it really doesn't take that long.......regards.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » December 10, 2009, 2:01 pm

Mr Natural wrote:On the subject of bread, if you like bagel's the Top's bakery is now making a variety of fresh bagels daily.
Approximately, what time do the bagels come out of the oven? Mr. Natural, have you tried them?

I remember Top's in Pattaya used to make bagels, they were decent. However, they would only make a couple dozen per day, so if you didn't get there early...they usually sold out :( .

Mr Natural
udonmap.com

Post by Mr Natural » December 10, 2009, 11:05 pm

jingjai wrote:Approximately, what time do the bagels come out of the oven? Mr. Natural, have you tried them?
Sorry, I don't know what time they make them. I shop there in the evening and theirs anywhere from zero to a dozen still there. I think their pretty good. I've had raisen, whole wheat and plain. I'm not sure if they make blueberry,onion or garlic, I'll have to go in early sometime!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 24, 2009, 3:50 pm

bagels at tops today included raisen, blueberry, plain, multigrain, and one other I can't remember. 22 baht each. Didn't try them but they looked appetizing.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 24, 2009, 11:08 pm

I love bagels.

I also love tortillas.

At the foot of the friendship bridge they sell flour tortillas (equivalent to a slice of bread) -- 220 baht for a pack of 10.

They treat this strange FOREIGN food as if it's enriched uranium. :D Idiots.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 25, 2009, 6:29 am

Texpat wrote:I love bagels.

I also love tortillas.

At the foot of the friendship bridge they sell flour tortillas (equivalent to a slice of bread) -- 220 baht for a pack of 10.

They treat this strange FOREIGN food as if it's enriched uranium. :D Idiots.
Last time I checked, Carrefore had flour tortillas 10 or 12 to a pack for 79bt and corn tortillas (10) for 49bt. These are in the frozen food section. They've also got flour tortillas in in a section with a limited amount of Mexican food products which are more expensive (forget the price).

Heranz

Post by Heranz » January 14, 2010, 3:07 pm

johnty. wrote:Ray charles,just as easy to make your own.....regards.
In Greek: πίτα, pronounced PEE-tah

Many recipes for pita bread require cooking at very hight heat, and home ovens don't always do the best job. This recipe makes soft, white pita rounds that should be brushed with olive oil and grilled, heated in a skillet, or toasted in the oven before using and serving. Serve wedges of this soft bread with dips, as a wrap for sandwiches, and in other creative ways.

Prep Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 cup of warm water
4 cups of bread flour
2 teaspoons of salt
1 cup of warm water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Preparation:
Dissolve in the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water and set aside, covered, for 15 minutes. Dissolve salt in the remaining 1 cup of warm water.

In a large mixing bowl, add flour and make a well in the center. Add yeast mixure and salt water. Knead with hands for 10 minutes in the bowl. Add olive oil and continue to knead until all oil is absorbed. Shape into a ball in the bowl, cover, and place in a warm area to rise until doubled in volume, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Punch down the dough and knead for 5 minutes more.

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C), and lightly oil baking sheets.

Take pieces of dough slightly larger than an egg and roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of 3/8 to 1/4 inch. (For larger or smaller pita bread pieces, take more or less dough). ***** the bread with a fork in several places.

Place on baking sheets and bake at 350°F (175°C) on the lowest oven rack for 2-3 minutes, then turn the pitas over and bake for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a tray covered with a clean dishtowel, with another clean towel on top. When thoroughly cooled, pitas can be stored in plastic bags in the refrigerator, or frozen.

Before using, brown in a lightly oiled frying pan for a few minutes until browned on both sides.
I recently tried it and hard find those recipes but fortunately, it is a success because it looks and tastes good. Actually, I spend my time exploring and experimenting with new bread recipes. I have a small bakery business in our town. Fortune Cookies.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » January 15, 2010, 5:58 pm

The bread at tops is better than anywhere else. If you get there about 11.30am the bread is freshly baked and still warm. The small multigrain loaf and bagels are delicious, both make a superb sandwich, with a nice cup of tea. The blueberry cheesecakes are ----.
\:D/

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”