Car Maintenance

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by parrot » April 22, 2010, 10:23 am

Lots of discussions on this forum about car/truck prices....but not much in the way of general maintenance costs. Yesterday I took our 2008 Toyota in for 30k maintenance. Semi-synthetic oil change, filter, injector cleaner, fluids topped, all points checked - 1750 baht. That got me to thinking what scheduled maintenance cost back in the US (1980's 1990's). Can't remember the exact costs, but seems like most were at least $100 and often $200+.

We've had 3 Toyotas here.......a total of 300,000+-km......the highest maintenance cost we've paid (not including a new set of Bridgestone tires) was 7053 baht for a 130,000km checkup......changed the timing belt and 3 outer belts, gas/oil/air filters, steering fluid.

So, cheese costs a lot here.....but..........

Texpat
udonmap.com

Re: Car Maintenance

Post by Texpat » April 22, 2010, 2:36 pm

When you consider the truck itself is 15-20% more than a comparable truck in the US ... you're likely spending more in the long run.

pauludon
udonmap.com

Post by pauludon » May 7, 2010, 12:06 pm

does anyone know where is Daihatsu in Udon? thanks Paul

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by Ray.Charles » July 30, 2013, 8:00 am

Our Toyota , VIGO, HILUX, 3.0L turbo, is a little over 4 year old, with a little over 50,000 Km on it. Had always been serviced at the dealership. Now considering doing the basic servicing myself (used to be a car mechanic when going through college) or taking the pick-up to an independent shop.
I recall but could not find through 'search' some postings about such shops and where to by filters, etc. Recommendations, please.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by fdimike » July 30, 2013, 8:20 am

Ray

You can buy Toyota brand oil fiters from one of the auto shops on the road between the statue circle and the bus station. I believe it's Pokanusorn Rd. There are two auto supply shops on the right side of that road when traveling towards the bus station from the statue circle. Both shops have english speaking employees. I buy my oil filters from Toyota because although the ones from the auto supply shops come in a Toyota box and the filter looks like a genuine product there is no number on it and that makes me wonder about its authenticity. I bought a K & N permanent air filter long ago and therefore don't have to do anything with it other than clean it about every 50,000miles.

I use the Caltex station across from Rajabhat University for all my engine oil changes and gearbox lube changes for our 2005 Fortuner. They are very competent and quick. They carry quality Caltex lubricants as well to include synthetic engine oil. I use Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil (been using it for about 20-30 years now) and have employed an extended drain interval with just replacing the filter itself according to manufacturers recommendations. I then top up the engine oil afterwards.

I hope this helps.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Pawgnyai

Post by Pawgnyai » July 30, 2013, 10:28 am

pauludon wrote:does anyone know where is Daihatsu in Udon? thanks Paul
Daihatsu pulled out of Thailand in 1998 Paul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive ... n_Thailand

papaguido
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by papaguido » July 30, 2013, 11:03 am

Ray.Charles wrote:Our Toyota , VIGO, HILUX, 3.0L turbo, is a little over 4 year old, with a little over 50,000 Km on it. Had always been serviced at the dealership. Now considering doing the basic servicing myself (used to be a car mechanic when going through college) or taking the pick-up to an independent shop.
I recall but could not find through 'search' some postings about such shops and where to by filters, etc. Recommendations, please.
Ray,

We have our car serviced at CJ auto service, they also operate an auto parts store, so you can drop off or do yourself.

I think we were charged about 500bt for an oil change, oil & filter incl.

CJ's auto parts store is located on Thokhanuson Rd. and the repair shop is in the side street behind the parts store.

081-717-9515, 042-320145

Image[/quote]

stoneman
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by stoneman » July 31, 2013, 9:02 am

Ray.Charles wrote:Our Toyota , VIGO, HILUX, 3.0L turbo, is a little over 4 year old, with a little over 50,000 Km on it. Had always been serviced at the dealership. Now considering doing the basic servicing myself (used to be a car mechanic when going through college) or taking the pick-up to an independent shop.
Have had out Isuzu 3.0 ltr diesel automatic transmission truck for 5 years and it has 140,000km...Every 5,000km, we have taken it to the Isuzu dealer in NBLP for servicing...In addition, I have kept a computer record of every fillup and the average mileage for the 140,000km has been 32.1 miles per gallon...

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by Ray.Charles » August 7, 2013, 6:52 pm

Servicing Toyota VIGO, 3.0L Turbo, 4 yr. old with 50,000 Km on it.
PLAN A: Bought the oil fitter from the dealer for B240
- went to the CALTEX station used by FDIMIKE; they wanted B900 for the cost of oil , and labor to change the oil and the filter, and top–off any other fluid, as needed. O.K in price but
- thought about doing the job myself—cost of 4L of 10W40 at TESCO ~ B600, cost of synthetic oil B1,300. Don’t know how many liters would have been needed.
PLAN B: Went back to the dealer for their package costing ~B2,600 for oil and filter change, and other checks. They suggested changing differential and transmission oil, as well. At 50,000 Km and intending to keep the pick-up for a long time, I agreed.
Ended up paying about B5,100 for the lot. They gave back empty bottles of 7 liters of ‘semi-synthetic’ oil, and 3 liters of gear oil.
Next time, I will consider buying the filter from the dealer, buy the synthetic or semi-synthetic oil myself, and give a garage up to B300 do change the oil and the filter. If that works, would earn enough for a sushi dinner on the way back.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by fdimike » August 7, 2013, 9:04 pm

I was going to change the oil & filter myself as I have done for toooooo many years. However, the filter is not easy to get at. Then you need the correct size oil filter wrench (cup style) to remove the filter. Normally all this would not have been a problem but the "mechanics" don't understand the words "hand tight" when it comes to the oil filter and tighten the damn thing down with a wrench. I finally just gave up and took it to the Caltex station. I bring my own oil and new filter and the fiter wrench and they do the rest. I'll do the same when it comes time to change the differential, transmission & transfer box (4 wheel drive) gear oil. I see no reason to bring it to Toyota as their pricing is too high just like any stateside car dealer.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by jackspratt » August 7, 2013, 9:30 pm

I had my previously owned 2007 Vigo serviced exclusively at Toyota dealerships - initially Udon, and then Sawang DD.

I found them to be extremely reasonable on pricing - far cheaper than anything I experienced in Oz. The only thing to be wary of was the "upsell" - which usually revolved around some useless deal (outside the Toyota service manual) involving the air-con system.

I have the first service on my Honda sedan coming up soon - I only hope the service, and price, will be on a par with Toyota. =D>

parrot
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by parrot » August 7, 2013, 9:44 pm

jackspratt wrote:I had my previously owned 2007 Vigo serviced exclusively at Toyota dealerships - initially Udon, and then Sawang DD.

I found them to be extremely reasonable on pricing - far cheaper than anything I experienced in Oz. The only thing to be wary of was the "upsell" - which usually revolved around some useless deal (outside the Toyota service manual) involving the air-con system.

I have the first service on my Honda sedan coming up soon - I only hope the service, and price, will be on a par with Toyota. =D>

I'm not a big fan of taking our vehicle to Toyota, but.....had I not faced a bill of several hundred baht for an AC filter (under the glove box), I wouldn't have known one existed. Now that I do, I can clean it myself easily enough. I do a Toyota service every 20k or so, with several oil changes elsewhere in between. As js says, my biggest dealer service bill here is probably smaller than my smallest dealer service bill back in the US. I'm hoping that new Toyota dealership brings some competitive spirit to prices in town.......but I'm not holding my breath.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by Ray.Charles » August 10, 2013, 9:18 pm

Hi fdimike , Are you driving the same type of vehicle as me: Toyota VIGO, 3.0L, turbo, 4-wheel drive? Where did you buy the filter wrench? And what do you pay them for the labor? Thanks.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by fdimike » August 10, 2013, 9:28 pm

We have a Toyota Ffortuner with a 2.7liter gasoline engine. I bought the filter wrench from an auto parts place om Posri Rd. I don't recall what they charged me for labor.

parrot
udonmap.com

Car Maintenance

Post by parrot » August 10, 2013, 9:38 pm

Ray.Charles wrote:Hi fdimike , Are you driving the same type of vehicle as me: Toyota VIGO, 3.0L, turbo, 4-wheel drive? Where did you buy the filter wrench? And what do you pay them for the labor? Thanks.
Turn right off of Srisuk onto Makkaeng, as you're heading to Phosri rd, I believe the second shop on the left, sells a wide variety of lubricants, filters, wrenches, etc. nice people as well

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”