Islamic State on the March

World news discussion forum
Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 4, 2014, 8:15 pm

I can see where the author is coming from when he identifies how neo conservative and liberal interventionist thinking is flawed because there is a definite link between events since 1991 and what is happening on the ground today. Our actions helped to create that imbalance.

However, I can't agree that Islamic State is:
a disparate group of Sunni militants...
They're far more than that and exert far more influence than the Sunni insurgents from ten years ago. Even this author acknowledges that IS attracts Jihadists to their cause and I argue many are foreign Jihadists from the West and North Africa. The piece goes on to say:
Our leaders, most notably Barack Obama, David Cameron and Tony Abbott, maintain that IS poses a grave and serious danger around the world.

I think they pose a risk to regional stability. Uncle Tilo referred to Jordan, Egypt and Israel, I think they are under threat. The stage the world doesn't need to get to is when Israel considers the use of nuclear weapons.

Again, the West needs to be careful what it does in the Middle East.

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 4, 2014, 8:24 pm

Nice analysis, Khun Earnest.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

Earnest wrote: The stage the world doesn't need to get to is when Israel considers the use of nuclear weapons.
:shock: Israel has nuclear weapons!

When did this happen?

Surely the Nuclear Club would have kicked up a stink about it, and the US imposed its legally mandatory sanctions. As they have done to Iran. :-k

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 4, 2014, 8:42 pm

Nukes. Yeah the Jews have them but we are all quiet on this.

Abbott allows uranium exports to India. What treaty have they signed BTW.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 4, 2014, 8:43 pm

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 5, 2014, 2:11 pm

The US is a colony of Israel. Barack ain't so important. :shock:
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 5, 2014, 4:54 pm

wazza wrote:Nukes. Yeah the Jews have them but we are all quiet on this.

Abbott allows uranium exports to India. What treaty have they signed BTW.
Money Talks old mate .....

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » November 10, 2014, 5:02 pm

An extremely short summary of this piece is the state of middle eastern affairs is due to the decision to build the Dreadnought class battle ship all those years ago.

"The British feared that the Ottomans might attack and capture the Middle East (and later Caspian) oil fields. Their Royal Navy depended upon oil from the petroleum deposits in southern Persia, which the British-controlled Anglo-Persian Oil Company owned the exclusive rights to exploit throughout the Persian Empire except in the provinces of Azerbaijan, Ghilan, Mazendaran, Asdrabad and Khorasan. To secure the oil, the British even worked with Russian Communist troops to prevent the Turkish leader Enver Pasha's goal of establishing an independent Transcaucasia.

Oil was already the lifeblood of the British Empire as the British Navy had converted from coal to oil a few years previously. British and French trucks and aircraft also ran on oil."

But taking cause and effect to a logical conclusion ............ it all started with Yahweh when he promised land in perpetuity to the Israelites, but no black gold - Allah got that for his followers when he created the religion of peace so the whole world can live in harmony.

http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/ ... ered-world

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 10, 2014, 5:18 pm

Good old Allah, he forgot the bit about Arable land to feed the f..kers which is why they have all moved in with us ....

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 11, 2014, 6:43 am

So perhaps we should be sympathetic to a Thai in Thailand saying: Good old Allah, he forgot the bit about sexy and playful females to satisfy the f..kers which is why the farang have all moved in with us ... :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 11, 2014, 11:14 am

Meanwhile, back in the Middle East, the Royal Air Force utilises one of its Reaper UAVs to engage IS insurgents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29992686

I keep thinking I need to move into the UAV environment as this seems to be where technology development is at. You can only do so much with helicopters, can't you. UAVs are the way forward in this day and age.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » November 11, 2014, 4:06 pm

Earnest wrote:Meanwhile, back in the Middle East, the Royal Air Force utilises one of its Reaper UAVs to engage IS insurgents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29992686

I keep thinking I need to move into the UAV environment as this seems to be where technology development is at. You can only do so much with helicopters, can't you. UAVs are the way forward in this day and age.
Agreed. Various transport authorities are investigating the use of these to monitor and report on traffic congestion.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » November 11, 2014, 4:19 pm

The Kurds’ Struggle Is Our Struggle

http://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2014 ... -struggle/

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » November 16, 2014, 11:49 am

ISIS commits ‘fatal’ blunders in Kobane battle

Justin Bronk, a research analyst in the military sciences program at the Royal United Services Institute in London, said ISIS’s strategies are now outdated in the face of different conditions posed in Kobane where Syrian-Kurdish fighters have lured the extremist militants to street battles, making them easy targets for U.S. and Arab warplanes.

“Despite having surrounded Kobane and conducting aggressive and apparently well-coordinated infiltration attempts from multiple approaches, the sort of street-to-street ‘meat grinder’ that Kobane has become does not play to ISIS’s strengths,” Bronk said.

“Against an enemy with nowhere to retreat to and air support, a numerically limited force such as ISIS that normally relies as much on psychological effects as firepower to take ground faces a tough challenge,” he added.

“This is just as well since on the ground, it is only the bravery of lightly armed Kurdish fighters standing between ISIS and control of the town. Airstrikes are essential but could not keep ISIS out of the town alone,” Bronk explained.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/mi ... obane.html

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 16, 2014, 8:12 pm

No worries, keep bombing the mad, little blighters.

Word is that an Allied airstrike has wounded Jihadi John. It's a shame they didn't get him before Kassig was murdered.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30073602

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 16, 2014, 8:42 pm

I was looking up on You Tube last night at some of the ISIS related videos.. For the most part their "hardened fighters" appear to be a complete gaggle fxxx mob of ill-equipped, untrained, poorly shooting, jackasses wasting ammo as they fire over the top of whatever they're pointing (not aiming) their weapons at as they constantly bellow Allahu Akhbar!!! In one video in Anbar Province it showed an Iraqi Army convoy of at least 50 vehicles racing down a highway about 300 meters away from the ISIS "fighters". All you could hear was a huge blasting of small arms and heavy machine guns and screaming yet not a one of those vehicles appear to have been hit.. A few other videos showed some better equipped and better disciplined "soldiers" but these seemed at least in posted videos in the distinct minority..
Dave

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 16, 2014, 9:09 pm

I was the same - couldn't hit a barn door at 200 yards - I used to shut my eyes tight every time I squeezed the trigger. Going to the range would give me an anxiety attack.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 17, 2014, 1:23 am

Earnest wrote:I was the same - couldn't hit a barn door at 200 yards - I used to shut my eyes tight every time I squeezed the trigger. Going to the range would give me an anxiety attack.
First, you need to practice with one of those pop guns in which a cork tied to a string is fired when you pull the trigger, or get one in which a sign appears, 'Bang'. Second, go back to the range and blow a few squirrels and chickadees to kingdom come. Third, you are ready. Volunteer to go to the Syria/Iraq theatre and begin training our allies.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » November 17, 2014, 9:24 am

If anyone has doubts about the abilities of the US military to kick mudholes in the faces of ISIS alah snackbar goats they just need some proper motivation. I just watched the FOX news special on the man who killed UBL. I dislike the amount of hair gel used by Navy seals and the ball on nose spinners pretty boy personas but I must say that the Navy DEVGRU boys did a absolutely goddam spectacular fricking job! It's a five apple pie eating give me smore MERICA moment and I highly recommend watching it.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 17, 2014, 12:01 pm

You could have included a link for us tiger ....

Return to “World News”